Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Top Posters

Fruit & Veg in North London

edited May 2012 in About this site
<P>I know this has no bearing on your shop but I left Finsbury Park in 1964.</P> <P>I lived in Brownswood Road went to Tollington Park School in Marriot Road.</P> <P>My job at 15 years old (1960) was a barrow boy for Ron's Fruit & Veg shop on Blackstock Road I ran the stall opposite</P> <P>next to Mull's the Baker's on the corner.  My boss was Ron Casbolt his father Joe was still working although part-time selling just fruit only. There,</P> <P>I worked 70/80 hours a week earning £17.10.00. a lot of money in those days. friends that had left school to start an apprenticeship were earning</P> <P>approx. 2 guinees.a week.</P> <P>Does anybody remember the shop and 'Ron'?  I did leave at one point and went to work for Toby Fruiterers on the Camden Road.  But after a few weeks went back to Ron - They were characters in those days particularly at Covent Garden - In the wholesalers you had to be very careful what you said particularly about a certain gang family!.  </P> <P>I hope someone else can recall those days - cheers - Bob Law (I used to live at 29 Brownswood Road with a Mr & Mrs Welsh who raised me.</P> <P> </P>

Comments

• Hi Bob, Thank you for this. I'm afraid I wasn't around then, but I wonder if you remember Blackall's the greengrocer on the Hornsey Road?