Better than Eastenders: What I have discovered about my house (in Florence Road)

edited June 2012 in About this site
By looking at old maps and information from the census and google, I have discovered the following facts about my house, in Florence Road:<div><br></div><div>- It was built between 1881 and 1888.</div><div>- The first owners (from 1891 census) were a Jewish family. The head of the family was an accountant. They had one servant, and four children. One of the children died at the age of three while his mother was a few months' pregnant with a baby girl - who also sadly died at the age of three and a half months. Shortly after all this tragedy (posted in the Jewish Chronicle), the accountant became a bankers' clerk, and the family moved to Brighton - and 10 years later, went bankrupt (published in the London Gazette).</div><div>- The second owner was a school master called John Teare from the Isle of Man who moved into the house shortly after the Stroud Green school was built in 1897 (not sure if there is a connection but it seems likely) and he lived in the house for over 30 years. Unlike the previous owner, they had no servant and had in fact two lodgers, suggesting they were far less wealthy. He had three boys, whom he named after himself and two of his brothers. One of the boys seems to have followed him in teaching by the age of 15. The other two wrote a book about the civil service, which was published in 1937. I am thinking of buying it from Amazon as it is still available!</div><div><br></div><div>That's all I have discovered so far. I am going to try to find out more...</div>

Comments