Stroud Green Border

Comments

• edited 4:25AM
    This article is playing having havoc with the previously defined boundaries, although I suspect shoddy journalism. There is no way that the corner of Albert rd and Victoria rd is Muswell Hill...
    http://www.hornseyjournal.co.uk/content/haringey/hornseyjournal/news/story.aspx?brand=HCEJOnline&category=news&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newshcej&itemid=WeED18%20Jul%202007%2016%3A02%3A56%3A143
  • edited July 2007
    There's more than one Albert Road. There's more than one Victoria Road. And, believe it or not, there's more than one junction between roads called Albert and Victoria.

<a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Albert+Rd,+Haringey,+London+N4,+United+Kingdom&sll=51.60136,-0.13175&sspn=0.069732,0.110722&ie=UTF8&cd=3&mpnum=0&ll=51.59992,-0.135226&spn=0.008717,0.01384&z=16&om=1">Muswell Hill</a>

That's not to say that the journalist is referring to the correct junction, natch.
    Ah.
    Looks sheepish.
    Mind you, that Albert rd is N22, so is that Muswell Hill, or is it really Alexandra Park, or even Wood Green....
    Skulks back into a dark corner.
    Borders re-established.
    David, I don't see the border. I'm using IE6, btw.
    Works on my IE6. Refresh your page a few times. Explorer is a bit crap with translucent images, IE7 & Firefox will display it without issue though.
  • LizLiz
    edited 4:25AM
    Very generous on the extension down as far as Hornsey Road, I'd say... And I live down there.
    My sense is that with London areas, some borders tend to be hard (definable / no argument); others are soft (not defined / different people have different views) and are best defined as being within a given range. With the eastern border, I'm certainly wth Liz. For my money that's way out. I'd say the soft border for the east was between SG Road and only as far east as somewhere like Evershot Street.
    Okay, how about the border being 3/4 minutes walk away from Woody's - we all know Woody's is clearly the centre of Stroud Green.
    The answer is simple. The borders are:

Upper Tollington Park
    Stroud Green Road/Crouch Hill
    The Broadway/Topsfield Parade/Tottenham Lane
    The railway line

Everything outside of this is Finsbury Park or Upper Holloway or Crouch End or Harringay.

It's basically the bit up on the hill with the precious reservoir.

I don't understand why people include areas to the west of SGR as Stroud Green. Like most roads it is named after the place it leads to, not the place it runs through.
    Northerrn border is where Oakfield Rd meets Mountview Road which runs west to Crouch Hill.

Eastern perimeter is where Tollington Park bends to meet Oakfield Rd., before railway and park gates.

Southern perimeter is where SGR and Seven Sisters meet inc. a sliver of SGR down to station and back uo to Worlds End then East around SG school and through to Tollington Park.

Western perimeter is SGR itself then Crouch Hill up to Mountview Rd.

Basially NOT Finsbury Park, Not Hornsey Vale, Not the ladder.
  • IanIan
    Not sure why I am engaging in this but ...I disagree - the principle I would apply would be based on "travel to" area - those people that live near and shop, drink and eat on SGR and its environs (i.e. the Noble) are in 'Stroud Green'. Why count what is east of the road and not what is west? Makes no sense. Even if you have a rule that you only count where the road leads to the road doesn't discriminate as to whether people turn left or right off it as you seem to want to.
    I've always thought the where is Stroud Green thing a pretty nebulous concept and Ian's definition works better than most. Look at the oldest map available here. <http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/1318/old-maps/>; Stroud Green existed long before the surrounding area as it is now and was a tiny place that appeared to centre on what is now the Old Dairy / Larrik crossroads. In the 18th century/19th century Stroud Green appears to sit across Stroud Green Road - look at the electoral map or the modern day A to Z and it's shifted up to an area around Stapleton Hall Road etc that was just fields back then. So I reckon stick a compass point in the Old Dairy crossroads, draw a circle to where you see fit and that's Stroud Green.
  • AliAli
    I wonder if the dates on the maps are when they are published or when they surveyed. It seems that houses in Lorne and Marquis etc are not on the 1872 map when I know that was when these where completed
    @Papa L.

'..centre on what is now the Old Dairy / Larrik crossroads....'

That's right all of Stapleton Hall, Ferme Park, Weston Park and Hornesy Vale was pasture in early through to mid 1860's.
    The Larrik would have been Stapleton Hall Tavern with rooms and a livery . The Dairy was actually functioning as exactly that, cattle were driven and rested there, a toll paid to graze etc. and then their milk sold to the dairy following morning before continuing on to market at Smithfield. The toll gate was run by Stapleton Hall on SHR and which still stands as the oldest building in Haringey - next to the W3 bus stop and formerly the Hornsey tory club in Hugh Rossi's day with 5 fantastic conker trees in the car park, the scoundrels sold up in mid-80's and converted into flats, chopped the tree and added the wings to the building you see now.
  • AliAli
    THe wide street outside the side Larrick was where teh Horse Carriages used to turn and pick up passengers to go into London
    So where is poor Scarborough Rd then? In no mans land?
    @ Twinspark - you sound like an older version of Busby! Anyway it's not 'the Old Dairy / Larrik crossroads', it's the far more succinct 'Fiveways'.
  • edited December 2009
    @tosscat - Didn't know Busby's age had been established? Thought the grief his postings got had driven him underground - not seen that thread since beginning of week.

Info is from an attic find of old photo's, household bills etc. from first occupants of house. I remember Stapleton Hall Tavern and the Tory club with it's prefab snooker room and the Dairy before it was a pub had hardware shopon the corner with a car bodyshop behind it with in & out gateways and cobbled yard.

Enjoy the idea that SG was established as a place before Crouch End and FP though - and west of SGR is most definitely not SG! -except the Park Tavern which we will claim via a corridor.
    Twinspark. Great info and that sounds like it was a good find in the attic. However, stretching the southern border down to Seven Sisters Road and heading off east into those fields and pastures, while not allowing anything west of Stroud Green Road (not even going the one road west to pull in the brilliant Park Tavern or Regina Road) seems odd. Is there a dark reason behind your anti-western sentiment?
  • edited December 2009
    Between SGR and Hornsey Road is Tollington, surely? I know the name has largely fallen put of use (like Hornsey Vale, hence some of the confusion over SG's northern boundary above), but it has a Tollington Community Centre, and a very old pedigree too, just Like Stroud and Hornsey...
    @Papa L
    love the Park Tavern and as I told tosscat, we would claim that through a short corridor on Tolly Park to Charteris rd. as for the rest the reason it's not Stroud Green is because it's not Stroud Green - might br FP or Tollington but not SG.
  • IanIan
    edited December 2009
    @twinspark - on such exhausting "just cos" reasons the whole of humanity has been steeped in conflict. Here's a thought - self definition...
    try www.upperholloway.org
  • @twinspark, if your find includes original material I think Hornsey Historical Society would be interested, you really ought to show it to them.

I've read whatever I could get my hands on about 'old Stroud Green' over the years and there were a few things new to me here. Where did you learn about there being a toll gate on Stapleton Hall Road? Too small, surely? And the bit about the buses turning outside the Larrik (which makes sense, the hill over to Crouch End was probably too steep)? The roadway outside the Larrik is still cobbled.

I have a local history book somewhere that includes a watercolour of an old farmhouse at Fiveways, around 1800, which I think must have stood at the bottom of the hill occupying the same space outside the Larrik / STapleton Hall Tavern where the engine shop is now....there was probably a village green there.

There is also a remarkable little metal badge dated about 1760 which is kept at the V&A somewhere, which is inscribed 'Mayor and Corporation of Stroud Green'. Apparently about that time it was the habit of certain bibulous City gents to get the coach up from Holborn to the Stapeleton Hall Tavern (then a country pub) at weekends for meetings of a drinking club. That's what they called themselves - Maypr and Corporation of Stroud green. That was before the present pub was built and the Stapeleton Hall Tavern was actually in the old Stapleton Hall mansion (still there). I think we should resurrect this club!

When I can be arsed I'll scan the pictures and post them here.

I asked the V&A about the badge once but they said they didn't know what I was talking about. They may have lost it. It needs an acquisition number. Someone will have to go down there with a picture.
    Here's the thing: 'stroud green' as used in this forum is a term signifying a vague concept of place built on the shared, but individual experiences of the members. It's a group idea with fuzzy boundaries.

So to define it, the best way may be for each member to centre a circle on the place they live, with the circumference at a place that they might regularly walk to - the ensuing circle will be a rough area of walkability, which will be a reasonable proxy for 'my idea of stroud green'. Add all the circles together, and the overlap gives the core, shared area of 'stroudgreen' and the whole area occupied by circles will represent the fuzzy outer limits. Now why didn't I think of that before. Or has someone already done it? Of course, it doesn't work for me because I live south of the border, down Hackney way...
    Hmmm A house near here, Evershot, I saw described as "Lower Crouch End" by the estate agent. Anybody seen other examples?
  • IanIan
    @bluejack. Good idea, and as you are an outsider, a great example of liberal interventionism in border disputes.
    bluejack - i love it. You can argue all you like about "Stroud Green", but stroudgreen is a state of mind.

Of course, it will all become obvious when Stroud Green is the place where local shopkeepers are all wearing headcams.