Hettie Holland

13»

Comments

• HH won't reopen till 28th. Maybe nip up to Crouch End?
  • I went to Crouch End earlier to get something from the Helan Centre and it was closed.<div>Very few places are open (Tesco Metro and a handful of the coffee places)</div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Holloway road bustling today. Got bargain on two pillows
  • edited December 2013
    James Selby on Holloway Rd for Boxing Day emergency gifts. They have Clarins, Lauder and Clinique counters plus lovely leather gloves, nice scarves etc. Otherwise Boots for scent.
  • Got my pillows from Selby and half price shortbread as a gift for friends in seaside tomorrow
  • I got some stuff from Selby, too.<div>Good bargains - and yes, Holloway Road was heaving!</div>
  • edited December 2013
    <div><br></div><div><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: 18.75pt;background:white;vertical-align:baseline"><span style="font-size: 13.5pt; font-family: 'Lucida Sans Unicode', sans-serif;">One thing worse than turning up without a gift for the MIL, is getting her name wrong half way through dinner in some kind of subliminal slip up as it was truly  not intentional  ( accidentally called her Liz then tried to excuse it by blaming it on seeing  the  Queen on TV earlier ).<o:p></o:p></span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: 18.75pt;background:white;vertical-align:baseline"><span style="font-size: 13.5pt; font-family: 'Lucida Sans Unicode', sans-serif;"> </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: 18.75pt;background:white;vertical-align:baseline"><span style="font-size: 13.5pt; font-family: 'Lucida Sans Unicode', sans-serif;"> </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: 18.75pt;background:white;vertical-align:baseline"><span style="font-size: 13.5pt; font-family: 'Lucida Sans Unicode', sans-serif;">Think I will have to make up by getting tickets for something at Park Theatre (since she has not been and expressed interest in going), <o:p></o:p></span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: 18.75pt;background:white;vertical-align:baseline"><span style="font-size: 13.5pt; font-family: 'Lucida Sans Unicode', sans-serif;"> </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: 18.75pt;background:white;vertical-align:baseline"><span style="font-size: 13.5pt; font-family: 'Lucida Sans Unicode', sans-serif;">Any recommendations someone Queen like, might like, in Park Theatre much appreciated? :o<o:p></o:p></span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p></div>
  • I know I shouldn't, and sorry @Toddlesocks, but you have really made me laugh!! This is the link to What's On at Park: <a href="http://parktheatre.co.uk/whats-on">http://parktheatre.co.uk/whats-on</a>. Hard to make recommendations without knowing what 'Liz' is like, but 'Do I hear a Waltz' might be suitable? Or if she likes panto, 'Sleeping Beauty' was brilliant!
  • edited December 2013
    @vetski, Thankfully she saw the funny side , may even have helped, we were spared the 'Grande Matriarch' speech on  this occasion.<div><br></div><div>Very difficult choosing gifts for people what are polar opposites and have all they need , the Park  Theatre  seem's to have a very  good selection, think I will play it safe and let her chose. :)</div>
  • Failing that, the Curious Night at the Apollo is an amazing show - one of the best productions London has seen in the last few years. If you want to see something special, get tickets for that once it reopens after the 4th.
  • Are they supplying hard hats?
  • West end is like a war zone with falling ceilings , a Xmas day shooting in the Avalon one of me and miss best venues, and a flood nr Piccadilly . All dramatic. Chang
  • To quote Elvis Costello, 'Accidents do happen'.  I rarely switch on BBC News 24 but it was so sensation seeking the night the roof fell on the Apollo audience.  No one died.  Saying that the company that runs it needs to improve standards.  
  • The roof had only been inspected 3 months previously - it simply couldn't withstand the amount of rain that night. One incident in 112 years is pretty impressive, though.
  • edited December 2013
    Apparently Andrew Lloyd Webber sold it 10 years ago with the recommendation that it be demolished (along with the Lyric), and a new performance venue built on the site due to the extensive decay caused by many years of neglect by others. He wanted to knock out the inside and keep the fascia, building a new modern theatre inside but was refused planning permission so sold it The company that owns it now recently restored some of the statues and built new lavs, but no structural stuff.
  • New lavs much needed with some of the shows up on there! Chang
  • Catching up after a week away - yes, there are strong arguments for modern theatres over historical ones, however the structural condition of the historical theatres is strictly monitored with regulations ensuring maintenance is carried out as needed. miss annie, here is the Theatres' Trust's statement on the ceiling collapse: http://www.theatrestrust.org.uk/news/show/5533-theatres-trust-comment-on-apollo-theatre-ceiling-collapse