Changes in Stroud Green.

Comments

• <P>The breeze blocked wall used to have the other half of the resturant behind it.</P> <P>The guy who owned the  chain  ran off with the cash and left the bills and it nearly went bust  so I think the breeze block was part of cutting costs and getting rid of the unit which becamse  Sugar Lounge.  I guess they  could have made it prettier.  Dare I say it but they  do the best pizzas in the street. It opened in 1990.  </P> <P>Before it came along the only resturant  in the street was the  vegi Indian whcih was frequented by Anniew Lennox when she lived in a squat in Stapleton  Hall Road with Dave Stewart. </P> <P>It was the WLM that really started the changes as it was a new concept back in 1986 nice suuroundings, no music, great beer great prices.  It was mobbed most of the time and was even  in the Observer Magazine in an article  about the future of pubs at that time. It was massive cf other pubs at the time full of Guardian readers </P> <P> </P> <P> </P>
  • That breeze block wall put up after they got rid of the bit at the back was there before and after the man ran off with the money.<br> <br> Could have made it prettier is something of an understatement, although I did become almost completely desensitised to it eventually.  <br><br>Ali, I agree, best pizzas on the street and for some distance. <br>
  • Interesting that nobody mentions Vagabond in a negative, too much trendy gentrification kind of way. Or is Vagabond ok because you actually like it?
  • I think the only negative thing about Vagabond is how hard it can be to get a table at times!
  • Oh, and that they don't take cards. Boo.
  • I never saw any 'trendy' people there. Then again, I hardly visit. Quite like them, they do a good coffee and are always super friendly. If I go, I go in the summer to sit outside. <br>
  • edited December 2017
  • For the record I like Vagabond. Just thought it was harsh that perceived trendy places like Rub get criticised whilst Vagabond doesn't get a mention. 
  • I think Vagabond is a good edition.  It is very trendy but has good coffee and nice staff.  Trendy doesn't mean bad. I think the main problem with SGR, especially from Tollington to Hanley is the amount of places coming and going.  I think this is because of the earlier success of restaurants here and people trying to cash in.  Just makes the road feel like a strip. It happens.<div><br></div><div>Ali and Papa.  You're right, Porchetta has the best pizza the place did need refurbishment.</div>
  • This is an exceptionally stupid question - if Porchetta is better, why is Pappagone always (seemingly) full instead?
  • I'd probably concede that Pappagone does 'atmosphere' better, although I don't reckon the pizzas are as good. <br><br>However, perhaps more interestingly I reckon it also pulls off a neat trick that budding restauranteurs should think about when picking premises, seating customers,laying out their place etc.<br><br>The way Pappagone is laid out means diners are sat alongside a run of windows onto the street and even when it is not full, those tables are filled first and then the ones behind them.<br><br>This always makes it look busy, people see busy popular restaurant and go there, it's a virtuous circle.<br><br>Porchetta on the other hand is longer and narrower and people tend to avoid sitting right at the front and sit further back. There can be quite a few people in there but a casual glance won't show them to you. It thus looks less busy.<br><br>Petek manages the same trick as Pappagone.<br><br><br><br>
  • <p>I think Pappagone also get more customers through the door due to their cheaper prices.  Porchetta's have gone up a lot in ten years from about £5 to £9.  But a recent visit proved Papa's point that it's busier than it seems in Porchetta and the atmosphere is quite cosy and nice rather than too brash.</p>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2017
  • Pappagone is pretty decent. It's not the best pizza in the world but it's better than average. Italians I have been there with have a mixed opinion about the place. They all love Diavola though.
  • Pappagonne pizza is inferior to porchetta's by a mile.  I don't indulge in either much over the last few years but  the bases on Pappagone's is not very tasty.  
  • No problem with them.  Porchetta and Pappagone live in harmony. Both are good parts of SGR.  Long may they exist.
  • Piccolo Diavolo's pizza is good, as is the food over all. I'm a fan. I need to try La Favorita's too. Do they still only do the massive size?<br><br>Italians I've been there with rate La Porchetta's pizza highly, one drives up from Highbury to collect takeaway.<br><br>I don't wear short skirts so have never had the seat problem. Aren't the actual chairs rather than banquette seating wooden though?<br>
  • La Favorita do 12" as well as 18". 
  • That's big. Bet Misscara's eyes are watering. Pizza is so tasty in October. Chang
  • So more and more shops seem to be closing on the high street with 'newer' shops then opening up. I think that stroud green high road will inevitably be taken over by various chains as the rents for the commercial properties will continue to rise. Yes, there is a nice independent feel at present, but increasing rents, developing new build properties as well as upgrading the tube station is only going to attract more 'chains' to the area. it will be interesting to see the change when all of the work is complete within the next three years. <div><br></div><div>Anyone have any idea whats opening close to the Organic food shop and tattoo place? they seem to be fitting in shelves and shop counter etc...  </div>
  • La favorita is now la saporita I think there is just the normal healthy level of churn on sgr as usual. Businesses going under should reduce rents as landlords don't want to sit on empty property. Which chains will be attracted? Wh smiths? Mcdonalds? Pizza express?
  • edited October 2013
    If chains wanted to be here they would be here already, like nandos tesco/sains and the betting shops
  • @Mountpelehant<;br><br>I'd heard it is an Italian Deli which is being opened by the people who run the Organic Food shop.  Does that mean both the shops are now part of a chain?  If so your prediction is correct.<br>
  • I bet £10 there will be an Oliver Bonas in the City North development.<br>
  • I will take that bet.<div><br></div><div>I bet there will be a bookmakers. Probably a Betfred.</div>
  • If I win the Euromillions I'm going to buy the chain and rename it Oliver Fucking Bonas<br>
  • What is O'B? Re chains , Anne Summers maybe going in the old kebab shop. Chang