House prices

Comments

• Hither Green upcoming too, colleague with young family recently bought house there.
  • Isn't Brockley in Kent? @NorthNineteen, it's not just a North/South divide with me. I also rule out the whole of West London and a lot of the East.
  • Some people say the peeps wot live in Moray Eel Road are snooty. The Moray Arms used to be a great local boozer but no more. What is happening round there? Is Peckham better. Even the Edinburgh pub still has no sign up. Why? Chang
  • A lot of friends who used to live around here (some were even contributors to this very board) have relocated to Brockley. By day, I can understand it - the feel is not dissimilar to Finsbury Park. But the big difference is, as soon as the Overground stops (or on the weekends where it needs a break), you're pretty much on lockdown.
  • edited December 2013
    I don't know South London that well but do visit friends in Camberwell and its surrounding area from time to time.  I've even been to Brockley. Goldsmiths and Camberwell School of Art have a scene around them.  Lots of Peckham and Lewisham are not as dodgy as they were.  Don't forget Shoreditch wasn't always the place it is now.  Twenty years ago it was very run down and quite scary.  In some ways North London is not that cool anymore, which is fine by me, but for young hip people I think South London is where the action is now.
  • This price thing is just the churn of life. Twenty years ago SG (Finsbury Park) was on no one's radar and people like me on a modest public-servant salary could afford it ... having forgone a car as well. Even so, it has tsken twenty years of scrimping and saving to accumulate a series of small pots of cash steadily to do the place up. Now - if starting over - I'd be scouring other places than SGR for something run-down to make my own.
  • We sold our house in Stroud Green, a crumbling Victorian. Yes, profit was certainly made, but the it was bought 37 years ago for £42k. It would be difficult to buy a shed with a London postcode now for that amount. The rise happened to homeowners without having to "do" anything. <span style="font-size: 10pt;">Moving to Finsbury Park then was like moving to the back of beyond. Your neighbours were bus drivers, secretaries, teachers, civil servants, actors - now you get company directors and senior management.</span><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">That said, it is safer, the range of shops and restaurants are better - and you have stroudgreen.org - miss this....</span></div>
  • There's no judgement on any individual here (as many are in the same position), but it feels wrong that for most people who have through one means of another bought a house in London they typically make more money in a year by sitting in a house than they do by going out to work. So the only rational response is to buy another house, rather than do actual, useful, productive work. That can't be healthy for any economy, or any society.
  • The money is only made by selling or remortgaging the house though isn't it? How do you buy the other house if you don't do any of those things?
  • @Mirandola<;br><br>Similarities between Finsbury Park and Peckham<br><br>- busy railway station but poor quality and pretty awful environment outside station<br>- new development taking place immediately by the station, both of which will include an M&S food<br>- Rye Lane/Blackstock Road both dominated by a single ethnic group, high prevelance of takeways/ convenience shops (Rye Lane has slightly more chain shops), Rye Lane is like a combination of Blackstock Road and Seven Sisters Road<br>- Bellenden Road/Stroud Green Road more mixed in character including several pubs and more recent trendy(ish) restaurants and coffee shops (Bellenden Road has a higher proportion of this type of retail)<br>- mix of large council housing estates and victorian housing<br>- short bus ride from the middle class enclaves of Dulwich and Crouch End<br><br>
  • edited December 2013
    <div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">@wisteria53, miss you too!</span></div><div><br></div><div>Annie, yes, quite. A putative increase in property value is not the same as making money! </div>
  • Crucial difference between Stroud Green and Peckham is that Peckham is in Northern France<br>
  • Hmmm *Registers bellenden.org*
  • @NorthNineteen, Two neighbourhoods united by M&S Simply Food. Do we know what else is coming in that development?
  • For a somewhat gentrified London road, BellEnden is almost too perfect a name. 
  • Lorne Road is more reasonable than surrounding streets. Contact me if unwant a tour. Chang
  • I hear Puglia is reasonable...
  • Northern France also has many charms. Also, house prices aside, shops generally see good bread as just something you buy, not something you have to save up for. In fact the more I think about it the more it seems to me commuting ought to be an option...<div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • @Mirandola<;br><br>There's going to be at least two Oliver Bonas in the new development....<br>
  • Isn't Stroud Green sort of Northern Italy now?
  • @ADGS - it's brilliant isn't it. Sort of Dickensian. I found out yesterday there is an MP called Mark Reckless. 
  • Married to Venus Speedwell . Chang
  • edited December 2013
    Reminds me of the time United fans tried to get one end of the new City stadium named after the great Colin Bell.
  • edited December 2013
    Apparently it's 'dirt cheap' to live round here... *cough, splutter*<div><br></div><div><a href="http://www.tntmagazine.com/london/area-guide/living-in-finsbury-park">http://www.tntmagazine.com/london/area-guide/living-in-finsbury-park</a></div><div><br></div><div>Ah, just realised this was written in 2011...</div>
  • It wasn't that cheap even then.
  • edited December 2013
    Those trains to Luton Airport from Finsbury Park sound handy too in that TNT link.<br>
  • Finsbury Park is still considerably cheaper than comparables....  Try to think of other areas that are 10/15 mins from the West End/The City AND near a large park.<br>
  • It depends where you are referring to as Finsbury Park. The area south of Seven Sister Road and East of the railway line is still relatively 'cheap', North of Seven Sister Road and West of the railway line though is definitely not!