Absolute beginner needs expert advice on knitting problem

Comments

• Great post Misscara , was wondering if you have came across dyslexic knitter's ?  I was wanting to do crochet, have tried to follow patterns both in writing and on youtube, could not even master the basic stitches, was wondering if just needs more time or is it a step to far being dyslexic.
  • Very eloquently put, Miss Cara. It's funny, though: here and there you sound a little like your old adversary, Kreuzkav... ...SORRY! God. Neither of them will ever speak to me again.
  • Thanks misscara for a truely wonderful post. I really enjoyed reading that and it has inspired me to learn. I had the worlds most hopeless mother who taught me very little, and my boys school focussed on skills preparing for trade so I missed anyone teaching me anything particularly practical for everyday life. Over the last 15 years I have tried to self learn lots of skills but always have been afraid of knitting and sewing. I have lots of free time now and am really excited to learn. I will borrow some equipment and try and get some practice in first.
  • edited January 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sutent, do try sewing. Get a really basic sewing machine from John Lewis and they'll show you how to use. It really is dead simple.
  • Ooh the flowers in snow blanket is Beautiful, exactly the kind of thing i would love to be able to do, seems so much you can make once being able to master a granny square. <div><br></div><div><div><div>Thanks for the encouragement, will keep practicing,  the  worst that could happen is i end up  cross eyed with  a  big knot, again :o</div><div><br><div>Will check out the KWA site, also Blend Cafe really like the sound of that </div><div><br></div><div> .</div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></div><div><div><br></div><div> </div></div></div></div></div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you Annie and cara. One thing at a time. If I can complete a tea cosie by end of year I will be ecstatic.
  • @Toddlesocks I've never heard anything about knitting or crochet patterns being a problem for those with dyslexia, but obviously that doesn't mean that they aren't. Have you tried following a chart rather than the written instructions?<br>
  • edited January 2014
    @ Idoru<div><br></div><div>Yes I tried following diagrams, supposed to be ea basic stitches for beginners. I am particularly not good with processing numbers the get jumbled up, numbers and letters together a nightmare so was expecting it to be slow process but three full evenings of trying with no luck or progression. </div><div><br></div><div>Following the diagram seemed easier ( though difficult processing and coordinating )as have to keep moving a pencil along under the writing, diagrams so not to get totally confused and lose place,  but that involved putting down the crochet and picking it up so ended up confused about how to hold it keep having to restart from scratch, three full evenings and not a granny square in sight  lol.</div><div><br></div><div>I will keep trying as know it will be do able  with a bit of time and patience. </div><div><br></div><div>I was an interior designer by trade used to working to scale drawings a walk in the park in comparison  ,trying to follow a 'basic'  crochet pattern is  the most difficult thing I have ever found.  <br><div><div><div><br></div><div> .</div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></div><div><div><br></div><div> </div></div></div></div></div>
  • edited January 2014
    @misscara this is  very good to know, not just me :)<div><br></div><div>I can do the chain and join now with so many restarts, just the clusters, things seem to go haywire. I found some slow show and learn ones on youtube so will have another go at the weekend. It is very kind of you to offer if needed,   I should warn you  I love graffiti granny's stuff. If you manage to teach me  you could be solely responsible for SG getting covered in granny squares :)</div>
  • There's some stuff here about knitting with dyslexia/dyscalcula http://www.craftsfromthecwtch.co.uk/2012/05/knitting-with-dyslexia-and-dyscalculia.html<br><br>So it's definitely possible to learn - just don't be put off!<br><br>If people are interested we could always have a bit of a get together in a cafe for knitting/crocheting lessons and chat.<br>
  • Idrou I added you to my circle. Hope thats ok
  • @Toddlesocks, did you see all the crochet in Crouch End over the summer? The tree at the clocktower was festooned in crochet bunting and the bollards had little crochet berets on. It was organised most by a nice lady called Jacqui, she's @purpleN8 on twitter - you can see photos there. Sadly, a lot of the berets were stolen but the bunting was up for ages.
  • edited January 2014
    @Idoru- Thanks for the link. it is very helpful exactly how it effects me to. admittedly like her i m not going to be to fussy in how perfect mine comes out to begin with , thought could maybe stick something like  bead or fabric sown in over messy bits, got enough bits n bobs to play with :)<div><br></div><div>@ miss annie -Unfortunately  I didn't see the crouch end crochet in person but have checked out the link, looks like fun. I have started following jacquie so not to miss out again. It is a shame some got stolen, shows people must have really liked it to give it a home. Some may even have thought it was a gift for the taking, you know like the 'art abandonment' crew, though  bit much to take it without a note saying they are welcome. </div>
  • Most of the bollard berets were gone the morning after she'd put them on! I think the plan is for more crochet at this year's festival, and more granny square makers will be welcome. I did around 50 for last year's - it was great practice.
  • I suppose it's just about bringing people together to work on a project and making people smile. Speaking of which, isn't Pharrell's 'Happy' just the most joyous thing!
  • Yes it is. Thank you Miss Annie!
  • edited December 2017
  • This finished last Monday according to the link @gardener-joe, is it carrying on d'you know?
  • The WI have done knitted square initiatives previously, are there any collecting at the moment @vetski ? Can't access any archive info from my phone
  • Another good cause -  http://www.woolagainstweapons.co.uk / https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wool-Against-Weapons/570747079617581 - a seven-mile long knitted protest scarf project with the pieces to be then re-made into blankets for refugees.
  • Yes, there's a knitted squares thing that Shoreditch Sisters WI is doing with Women for Refugee Women; I don't know exactly what the squares are being used for, but I know the project is to do with raising awareness of women detained at Yarl's Wood.<div><br></div><div>IIRC, the crocheted squares were to be repurposed after the festival into blankets for an animal charity - good enough, @Misscara?</div>