Guardian journo seeks case studies of extremely expensive school trips

edited January 2014 in Local discussion
<div class="gmail_default" style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: large;"><b>Case studies wanted of extremely expensive school trips</b></div><div class="gmail_default" style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: large;">Writing an article for the Money section of The Guardian on extremely expensive school trips - anything that costs over £1,000, but the more expensive the better - and looking for case studies, ideally from state schools. Any parents out there up for talking to me? Would need to be willing to name the school. Interested in how you felt when you found out the price, and whether it was worth it.</div><div class="gmail_default" style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: large;"><br></div><div class="gmail_default" style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: large;">PM me if you are interested!</div>

Comments

• <P>Ashmount Primary School's trip to the theatre just before Christmas was free.</P> <P>HTH</P>
  • I thought school trips were free or a voluntary contribution was given by parents who could afford it. I would be very shocked if a trip from a state school cost so much
  • I have asked my state school teacher friends. Trips are always free and if expensive money is raised by writing to charities, universities, pastoral funds etc. Usually school can only Afford approx £3 per child. Am sure this is not the case in fee paying schools in Hampstead.
  • I think it is for school holiday trips not days out
  • Do state schools do holidays?
  • Mine used to do a week-long skiing trip every year. I don't know if it still does. I never went because it was too expensive. <br>
  • edited January 2014
    Oh I think ours might have done something like that now you mention it. Will ask my sisters, none of us would have gone if you had to pay. @David, do you remember if there was skiing?
  • My school used to do a ski-trip for a week in France/Italy getting the coach down. Now it does 10 days skiing in California with the students subsidising the teachers.<br><br>I know Latimer in Enfield do some crazy trips.<br>
  • Wow. NorthNineteen would you be willing to have a quick chat with me about it? PM me your details if you are and I could give you a ring. I think it is really hard for parents at state schools to be asked to pay these crazy prices and then to have to say no, but also if the trip is worth it, maybe it is worth saving for? Be really interesting to talk to you...
  • My daughter's school a few years ago wanted to run a short trip to Berlin for A level History students (I think - maybe GCSE) - but they had to cancel it because not enough people signed up - the cost was too high. I had said Yes, recklessly, on the principle that history trips are a good thing, though I'm not sure where I thought I would find the cash! But it wasn't insanely expensive - as I remember around £500? not more than £800. It doesn't have to be £1000 plus to be out of reach for inner city mixed state school intakes ... Try Fortismere parents for examples of pricey ones, perhaps.
  • I think the cost of school uniform for some schools might be more of an issue.
  • I used to get school uniform vouchers from the council.
  • Afraid not Donna, good luck with finding someone. It seems to me a fairly common theme that you get some very expensive school trips now, with state schools going to China, US, South Africa, Latin America etc. which were all previously the domain of private schools so I'm surer you'll be able to dfind someone to talk.<br>
  • I was in Berlin on a school trip the week the wall fell. Not expensive but rather good timing. So I have a lump of Berlin Wall at home chipped off with my own fair hands.
  • Suddenly wondering if you ever beat rhubarb on your chunk of the Berlin Wall, @Detritus?
  • No never beaten my rhubarb against that wall. The bit I have is too small.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I wish I had been a few years older and could have understood the political ramifications. The teacher came running into the hostel saying we all have to see it, and we made our way to the Brandemburg Gate. I remember vividly seeing my English teacher standing on the wall and people chipping lumps out of it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Detritus kindly let my nephew chip a little piece off of his chunk of wall to add to his Berlin Wall model for his school project. Top marks were garnered!