Shoreditchification

Comments

• If you compare to local areas eg hornsey road, seven sisters road, green lanes. The rate of change of SGR has been dramatic
  • edited February 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2014
    I've lived here for nearly nine years and when we moved here people used to come to Stroud Green Road to eat and to drink. They also used to buy things in the shops and there were plenty of small independent shops.<br><br>There's definitely better stuff now, but what I am trying to say is that a lot of the good things on Stroud Green Road aren't just down to there being richer people living here, they are down to it being a good place to start a business, because it is a decent High Street.<br><br>@Northnineteen, that's my point. I'm not talking about the area.<br><br>The wider Stroud Green area, if we are talking house prices, people who live here etc. is way up the gentrification acceleration curve. Stroud Green Road itself? Well, it's got some nicer stuff on it than it once had but we're not talking Upper Street or even Clapham or East Dulwich - it's still just a good High Street.<br><br>@Sutent, <br><br>Front Room and Vagabond are two examples of people taking a risk and opening on quieter less in demand stretches and doing a good job, so they became busy.<br>Season for what they are serving is the same as the above<br>Hairdressers are expensive. Chaps and Dames started off very cheap and then edged up.<br>The Italian Farmers deli is to do with the number of Italians apparently here - and relates to the Season comment above.<br>Organic or not, both those fruit and veg shops are still cheaper than Tesco<br>What's wrong with a theatre?<br><br>All of those things you listed are small independent endeavours, taking a risk to deliver something that doesn't come straight out the High St retail by numbers and franchise bag.<br><br>Surely that's a good thing?<br><br><br>
  • edited February 2014
    I quite like the fact that most North Londoners I know, and especially the wealthier ones, have no idea where Stroud Green is. They know Finsbury Park though, which is where Season, Park Theatre, Ash's, Dotori, Osteria Tufo, BBM and the new deli are by the traditional boundaries. @Arkady will confirm that boundary is Tollington Park north to Mount View, can't remember east/west. Funny how a couple of years ago when we discussed where Stroud Green is my road wasn't allowed. Now it's in the middle of a hotspot apparently!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • As someone who has lived here for about twenty years I'd say that people have always come here because it has a very nice vibe.  Jai Krishna attracted people because it was a very special reasonably priced vegetarian restaurant.  La Porchetta did the best pizza around, Kats was quirky, hit and miss service but decent food.  It just seems saturated now and a strip.  Still not as bad as Upper Street.
  • Not so long ago 'more affluent' people living here would go out to Upper Street or Crouch End (or stick around in the West End after work) for an evening out, shops, restaurant, theatre. Now it's on the doorstep. That's the main difference. There's still a choice, you can go to the White Lion or get a fried chicken if you want. Great choice actually.
  • I'd say there was always a choice here.  It's cruder now and turning more and more into Upper Street.
  • Interesting discussion.  I feel Krappy's comment is quite pertinent and I'd agree with that, I'm spending more time and more of my money on SGR that I was 5 years ago!<div><br></div><div>@papa there's nothing wrong with a theatre, I wonder whether you are trying to say gentrification isn't happening because you think it's a bad thing? Separating out the background change (i.e. growth in organic, independent shops, coffee etc) from that specific to do with SGR is very difficult.</div><div><br></div><div>Either way, I think we are very fortunate to have such a successful high street which has a wide variety of facilities and services and some fantastic local businesses.  Now where is our Vietnamesse restaurant....?</div><div><br></div><div>I'm in N19 (just off Hanley Road) and consider that I live in Stroud Green!</div>
  • Maybe it's a concept like Prince's Paisley Park.  You might live outside the boundaries (disputed) but if you've Stroud Green in your soul, you're in Stroud Green.
  • edited February 2014
    In their round up of acts playing at this summer's Wireless fest they have Finsbury Park as East London!<div><br></div><div>You can view a map showing SG boundaries here. I know I'm in Finsbury Park, N19 would be Upper Holloway acvording to post office but not sure what ward you'd be in. Misscara, you have more claim to live in Stroud Green as the whole of Stroud Green is in Haringey.</div><div><br></div><div>http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/council/how_the_council_works/fact_file/wardprofiles.htm</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>;
  • edited February 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I understand the difference between Haringey and Harringay. My point was at least you live in the same borough.
  • easy to see why he's an ex...
  • The nice bit of it is in Camden, well the bit I lived in was, but I'd say you have more claim to Stroud Green than someone who lives in a different borough.
  • Is that why Arkady has been quiet recently.. 
  • You can not define a place by the political boundaries of a ward! For a start that would mean that places like Papagone would not be classed as Stroud Green... Stroud Green is a local centre shared by Islington and Haringey and part of the Finsbury Park district centre (in addition shared with Hackney).<br><br>Interesting about Arkady.  Probably not the best time to become a Lib Dem councillor (assuming that's his allegience).<br>
  • Can Stroud Green be gentrified? I've lived here for about 12 years and nothing much has really changed. It wasn't particuarly run down when I moved in.<div>I can understand the Seven Sisters Road area the other side of the station or the area between Hornsey and Holloway Roads being 'gentrified' but I don't see it as something which will happen in Stroud Green. It seems it's always been vaguely middle-class and probably always will be.</div><div><br></div>
  • edited February 2014
    @Arkady has been away, look forward to reports of his travels. Of the list of alleged evidence of gentrification most of them are not in Stroud Green, and many belong to me - in Tollington ward...mwahahahaha!
  • And K Stores (aka post office ) still today has hundreds of dodgy plastic items stacked in the rain on the pavement, with the guvnor (as he calls himself) sits smoking for England. This is The opposite if gentrification, and a real eyesore. I hope the council move it on or encourage them to take over one of the empty shops. Whatever happened to the dignity of the post office ? Chang
  • edited February 2014
    @misscara<;br><br>Sorry to reopen a can of worms but "Stroud Green (geographically) is centered on the bit where the launderette/londis/nick nick is."<br><br>Is not really true. <br><br>Check an old map and you will see Stroud Green, which predates Finsbury Park by a long way centred on the Fiveways crossroads where the Dairy and Stapleton Tavern are. That's where Stroud Green Road goes to.<br><br>Modern day mapping may have shifted the words up to where the old Stroud Green Station was, but that's no more a reliable definition than the way Stroud Green is talked about on as an area covering the station up to Crouch Hill and then stretching sideways.<br><br>Funnily enough in 1862 the map put the words to the other side of Stroud Green Road<br><br><a href="http://www.mappalondon.com/london/north-west/hornsey-map.htm">Here's the map</a><br><br>@northnineteen, I have no real issue with gentrification. It's just we were talking about what Stroud Green Road has to offer and I think that's not just gentrification, it's a strong independent high street. Personally, I think we live in an area most people would kill for, with great shops, places to eat etc at great prices. I thought Sutent was objecting to those things.<br>
  • I am not objecting at all. I like some of the shops and I am not too keen on others. I love living here and I am very lucky to do so. Its very rarely I go out anywhere else. I also have been  the theatre every month too and I am going again this weekend with friends who live in Tottenham. I have no doubt that the type of independent shops that have succeeded in the area only have done so because of the increased affluence and demand for it. I would not be able to see some of these places be as successful in Hornsey Road or Seven Sisters road. 
  • @sutent sorry, it was just you listed all those things and then said 'The above is a sign of the sad but dynamic change in the area'<br><br>Apologies if I put words in your mouth.<br>
  • I find it sad because the new independent shops can only be afforded by an  certain members of society. Dinner at Jai Khrishna/Papagone vs dinner at Seasons etc <div><br></div><div>a Late at Vagabond is £2.40 vs 80 pence at Mega cafe. Its not much of a community high street when not everyone can afford to enjoy it. </div>