Live Jazz at Il Piccolo Diavolo

edited January 2014 in Local discussion
We are delighted to announce an evening of dinner and live jazz at Il Piccolo Diavolo on Tuesday 28th January . Enjoy delicious and fresh homemade Italian food and live music - a match made in Haven ( well 11 Crouch Hill in fact ). Advance booking recommended!!!! Tel. 02072723302 WE LOOK FORWARD TO WELCOMING YOU !!!!!

Comments

• I really don't like jazz, but I'm sure this will be a a massive winner with others. What do people think generally about music in restaurants, I'm not a fan.
  • Jazz in restaurants conjures up images of fake sophistication.  It's the musical equivalent of someone reciting James Joyce's 'Ulysses' while people are eating.  Actually I'd prefer to hear Ulysses.
  • I don't mind the idea of music in restaurants but don't actively seek it out.<br><br>What I would say is that we ate in Piccolo Diavolo on Saturday night and I had a fantastic deer ragu papardelle and the place had a buzzing local restaurant atmosphere. <br><br>I've always been a big fan and am glad to see things going well there.<br>
  • edited January 2014
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">@kreuzkav, must you sneer at anyone who doesn't share your taste?</font>
  • <P>"Taste" and "viewpoint" appear to be deliberately treated differently depending on what the discussion is about. Myself included i guess. Kreuzkavs oberservations and comments are to be treasured in the quest for an interesting forum discussion. Otherwise we'd all be treated to sycophantic "me too" comments which ultimately would kill a thread in 5 mins. </P> <P>My question for Picadiv is where on earth are you going to put a Jazz band? In my head, they're probably playing the bogs as there's no room anywhere else.</P>
  • edited January 2014
    'I don't like jazz' - fine.  Neither do I.<div><br></div><div>Implying that people who like jazz (or anything other than one's own tastes, it seems) are in pursuit of 'fake sophistication' is just unpleasant.</div>
  • It's perfectly possible to have interesting and worthwhile discussions without being dismissive and judgemental.<br>
  • Depends if the music is an add-on or the heart of the place. He breathed in air/He breathed out light/Charlie Parker was my delight.
  • Very strange discussion forum this. Food + jazz at Ajani is met with breathless enthusiasm. Food + jazz at IlPicDiav is met with sneering and contempt. What's the difference?
  • edited January 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I like jazz, although I don't know much about it. And The Little Devil's pretty damned good as well. I'm not sure what you get when you put the two together - perhaps I should go along and find out. At least the music will be live, and not one of the multiple descendants of Rock, all of which I loathe. Ah well, each to his own My dream would be more pubs, cafes, restaurants without canned music of any kind. Whatever happened to conversation? Mind you, if PicD put on a live string quartet I'd have to give it a try, wouldnt I? With no talking whatsoever. How's that for pretentious? Do I qualify as a hipster? Whatever that is.
  • No canned music in WLM  one of Wetherspons selling points
  • Not liking jazz is like not liking poetry or comics or sandwiches. It's too broad a category to dismiss entire.
  • <P>I don't like jazz at Ajani either and it's one of the reasons I almost never eat there anymore. I think the space is just too small to host live music and when the band is playing it's too noisy (and also feels a bit rude) to try and have a conversation. </P> <P>I think Il Piccolo will suffer from the same problem, really can't imagine where they're going to put the musicians. </P> <P>I do like jazz music though, just not live in restaurants. </P> <P> </P>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yes, Ali, but its too dark. One of the other things we third age hipsters like to do in cafes etc is read, but half of them are sunk in illiterate gloom. God! Get him off! Is there no limit to his pretentiousness?
  • Since the last time I considered reading in there. And what have they done with the sofas? WLM is plainly going to ghe dogs.
  • Other things I don't like in restaurants... rolls - too much outside not enough inside, waiters who say serviette, being asked more than once if my food is ok, flowers that smell more powerful than the food.
  • I know a John at WLM, although he's not there currently. Nice chap. I'm sure he wouldn't stuff his tissues anywhere he shouldnt, although since I've never seen him cough he's probably not the right one. As for darkness: OK, I admit it, my cataract is principally to blame. But some places are brighter than others, aren't they? Vaga is, Dream isn't, fir example. I'm told the whole world will light up again when Moorfields have finished with me. Fingers crossed.
  • edited January 2014
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">Johnny hates jazz</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div> <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/cX-8MHKuQ5I?hl=en_GB&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/cX-8MHKuQ5I?hl=en_GB&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  • edited December 2017
  • <span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 20.80000114440918px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">'Jazz in restaurants conjures up images of fake sophistication.  It's the musical equivalent of someone reciting James Joyce's 'Ulysses' while people are eating.  Actually I'd prefer to hear Ulysses.'</span><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;">While no fan, I like jazz.  I was commenting on the fake sophistication of it.  I have some jazz cds by the likes of Mile Davis.  Saying that jazz bars can be good if you go for the music but I think Piccola Diavolo should remain silent or have low level music as it's good enough without it.</div>
  • <div><span style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 16.1200008392334px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">I have some jazz CDs by the likes of Miles Davis.</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 16.1200008392334px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></div><span style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 16.1200008392334px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">I have </span><span style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 16.1200008392334px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">many </span><span style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 16.1200008392334px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">leather</span><span style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 16.1200008392334px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">-</span><span style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 16.1200008392334px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">bound books</span><span style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 16.1200008392334px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.</span>
  • The ultimate in sophistication would be to have some classic jazz vinyl on the wall.<div><br></div><div>Leather bound books are nothing compared to vintage 70s paperbacks.</div>
  • Vintage paperback books with the covers missing because you spend so many late nights voraciously reading them is the ultimate in sophistication.<br><br>@Andy where's the like button for the Johnny Hates Jazz joke?<br>
  • Getting pissed on white wine and dancing on bars is the height of sophistication or I ain't no lady.<br>
  • edited January 2014
    @ Idoru, it appears its not what you do but how you carry it off ,atleast that is  what i keep telling myself.<div><br></div><div><br><div>Love Italian food, the menu looks very impressive, not a jazz fan, be grate if any plans for folk music..</div><div><br></div><div> I like music playing in restaurants if not  overpowering,  solves more problems than creates ( for me). Hate trying to have a conversation while eating. On more than one occasion that has resulted in the Heimlich maneuver nearly being used. Not pleasant!.</div><div><br></div><div><br><div><br></div><div>.<div><br></div><div><br></div></div></div></div>