Landlords and repairs

edited February 2014 in General chat
I'm hoping someone can offer some advice; my flat is privately rented, with Hanley handling the lease but that's about it. <br><br>My boiler has been broken for a month and a half, and though I've reported it and chased it up regularly in this time, the landlord still hasn't fixed it or committed to when it will be fixed by. I've had no hot water in this time, and only limited heating. <br><br>I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what I can do to get it fixed, without fixing it myself - can CAB etc help, or are there any other resources available to help with landlords who won't carry out essential repairs? <br><br>My lease is up in a month or two, so I'm hesitant to withhold rent in case he uses that as an excuse to force me out. <br><br>Many thanks!<br>

Comments

• So sorry to hear and I can sympathise. First thing would be to give him written notice in case you haven't done so already. Then you can get EH/the council involved and they will send a notice on your behalf. He cannot just throw you out; in order to be evicted you need to be eight weeks in arrears and since the lease is ending anyway ... <br>I found CAB a little useless, but Shelter had really good advice. Plus talking to the councillor has helped in my case. Your landlord has the duty of repairing broken appliances, particularly pressing when it's the boiler in the winter. In the meantime, please feel free to get in touch re a hot shower. My times of being at home are somewhat erratic at the moment, but if I'm here, you can come over. <br>
  • Witholding rent is a bad idea. Second Stella's shower offer. PM me if I can help.
  • Get a Corgi registered engineer to come and fix the boiler, get a reciept and deduct the amount from your next rent payment. Give your landlord a copy of the reciept. That's a pretty standard way of dealing with a problem like repairs.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I don't know what the current state of your boiler issue is, but thought I'd let you know that I've spoken to EH just now and the guy who dealt with my landlord/flat advised you called this number: 0207 527 3083.<br>He said something like that would be treated as a priority as having no hot water or heating is a definite threat to your health. Please give them a call if you haven't already done so.<br>