Things that make me feel like I'm living in a village

edited February 2014 in Local discussion
The fish monger stopped me In the street and asked if I wanted any herring as she had some in. She gutted 10 for me to pick up later. Patrick at Ajani kept my lost hat for a year until I came back in, then gave it back to me. *warm glow*

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I know who lives next door up to four doors away both sides, and about a third of the rest of the street. My last set of neighbours had a cockerel. The rest sounds like a pain.
  • Sheep everywhere cowshit and lost tourists.
  • No shortage of lost tourists in London!
  • I was referring to Ye Olde village of Stroud Green and Hornsey Road.<br>
  • I didn't live in a village just in a isolated farm house in the middle of nowhere. I miss the isolation and knowing that if I set foot out of the door I wouldn't see a human unless I drove to the main road and then actively looked for other people. But on the plus side I don't have a 15 mile drive to the closest shop, electricity is seen as a right not as something that you have when the weather conditions let you. But the biggest difference is the noise, even on Moray Rd sitting in the back garden I hear sirens, traffic, people, music. On the farm it was just the wind rain and the sound the plumbing makes when it packs up. If we can get rid of 95% of the people in London, all airplane noise, that sound lorries make when reversing and somehow move Elland Road 200 miles closer to London life would be good.
  • edited February 2014
    Re- "ye ol SG village"<div><br></div><div>I am still recovering from being known as 'the lady who likes cakes' in Londis (thanks to Mr T always asking me to get them)</div><div><br></div><div>After not being seen out and about in SG for over two yrs was surprised the amount of people that looked surprised to see me,  commenting' long time no see, ect ( who i had never spoke to before). Know i don't exactly blend into a crowd, appears far more notice you toddling around here than you think!</div><div><br></div><div>I have always wanted to live in the country nearest i have came to it is  scooting off more rural on the boat, usually only for a few days until the provisions run out. I have found  a week is ideal for me, feel the hustle and bustle of the city stressful, especially the older i got, however am also a people watcher they really interest me.</div><div><br></div><div>My ideal probably would be living in a place where no one came within 5 meters of you and there was no ques anywhere! </div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • edited February 2014
    If one takes the trouble to get to know it, our part of town can offer many of the good bits of village life - community spirit being the main thing (although some people like to pour scorn on that), without the smell of cows. I don't think anyone just 'ends up' anywhere, we've all made a choice to live here rather than elsewhere. On the advice of the RSPCA my old neighbours lowered the roof of the hen coop by an inch. If the cockerel can't completely stretch its neck it can't crow. <div><br></div><div>I have lived in the countryside @Toddlesocks, but I never felt home there. Nice to visit though,</div>
  • I grew up in central Milan. Round here's practically rural.
  • Hahaha. Subject failed, F. Sit down! <br><br>I love that you go past shops and the owners wave at you, because they know you well enough. Or if you're short a few pence, they tell you to pay next time.<br>
  • Tonight the 'village' was packed after the Arsenal game. Every restaurant was full. Maybe Oasis should have stuck it out . I see it is up for sale . Shocking really. Chang
  • Walking over dead people in the street.<br>
  • Anyone who calls a place in a city a village is seriously deluded.  As Misscara said, in a village you have one shop that is probably also a petrol station. One pub....I'm sure there are villages with delis, gastropubs which are probably full of second home Londoners but the reality of village life isn't Blackheath or Crouch End. 
  • @miss annie, yes lovely to visit countryside. Always living in a city  even a little bit of natural land can make me feel like im in the countryside. ie) parkland walk, SG spinney. Dont think i could live in a city without something like them on my doorstep now.<div><br></div><div> It is surprising how quick you can be in the real countryside going up the lee valley. </div>
  • I think it's amazing how village-like it can get in certain areas of London. I felt the same about Stokey.<br>
  • I was in Stoke Newington yesterday, don't find it villagey, but it seems like a good place to live. There are properly useful shops on the High St - hardware, bakers, bookshop, fabric shop, greengrocers, as well as the more chichi offerings on Church St. I like the fact that as well as the gastropubs, restaurants and teashops there are KFC, Iceland and pound shops. Lovely park too. Something for everyone there.
  • I used to live in Stoke Newington and loved it. You're right Miss Annie about the choice.  But it's biggest plus is its vibe.  It's more cutting edge for me than Stroud Green as it has a repertory cinema (the rio) within walking distance, a few good gig venues, lots of bookshops and second record stores. Stroud Green is more a foodie heaven whereas Stoke Newington is more of music book cinema person's heaven.  Also has a good history of activism.  <div><br></div><div>If I didn't have a cheap flat here, I'd live there.  But SG is great too.</div>
  • I loved Stokey when I lived there, but not so much anymore. Hipster invasion has killed it for me.<br>
  • Yes, the hipster like the gentrifier seems to smell the scent and chase it.  
  • Somewhere that has KFC, Nandos and Iceland can't get ideas too far above its station. I love KFC, the one in Crouch End has closed now. Bad sign.
  • When I moved to Stokey in April 2007 it was still 'dogy', with the Jolly Butchers the main attraction to the Friday and Saturday night crowd, being open till 3am with DJ and what have you. Church Street was the only 'feature' Stokey was really known for at that point, but suddenly the area changed and Hipsters moved into the flat above me and all went downhill from then on. It was roughly about the same time Dalston changed. Gosh, I remember the very first time I went to Dalston and though 'gee, I really don't want to hang death over a fence here'. I loved the market and have been going to get my fruit and veg from there since 2007, know many vendors by name, and generally like the Dalston vibe, but it's become too much, too crowded. I never really went out in Shoreditch for that very reason. <br>I see this all happening in the Finsbury Park area. At the moment it's bearable, but the question is for how long.  <br>
  • Hadn't even noticed that the CE KFC had closed down! When did that happen??
  • Stokey has a cemetery to die for.  We don't.<br>
  • Yeah, it's rather pretty. Love your unintentional pun.  <br>
  • edited February 2014
    Couple of weeks ago. Sad times, that was the best one locally. I'm fond of Kensal Green cemetery. Loads of my family are pushing up the daisies in the old RC bit, and there are some lovely mausoleums.
  • When I was 18 I decided to do a photography night class.  Asked for a topic I took photos of Abney Park.  Didn't realise then that lots of activities went down there.  I generally keep most things but have lost that portfolio. A bit of a loss as it was good. <div><br></div><div>Stella, I don't think the pun from KRS was unintentional.</div>
  • edited March 2014
    My goodness! I don't care for airing dirty laundry in public. My twitter @annieopalfruit is available for anyone to view for evidence of said trolling - it's one comment to @laurencarap about the Haberdasherys Christmas do. Agreed, community spirit is definitely alive and Stroud Green.