What do you think of scientists?

edited February 2014 in Local discussion
I am not sure how many scientists who live in Stroud Green. I know Detritius used to be a physicist, but I am not sure of others. There is a huge drive from the scientific community to try and effectively communicate some of the wonderful work scientists and mathematicians do in the UK. The media including the BBC are very bad at reporting some of the work we do and sometimes report things out of context. Last week the group that I work in published some new findings in cancer and it was very disappointing to see how some of the responsible press like the guardian, independent and telegraph reported it. Scientists and mathematicians in the UK have the lowest funding in in Western Europe, but publish 10% of the worlds scientific articles. It would be nice to know what you you thought of us?

Comments

• I don't agree re bbc . Radio 4 and 5 live is stuffed with science programmes and reports - monkey cage , prof Brian cox etc etc. In fact Brian is the main man for making science cool and he does arena tours . He would get more crowds than miss Annie if he came this way. So don't despair . You are reported (ok I only use the Guardian to wrap cat guts) and mostly it's good. Chang Ps what was the cancer story?
  • Thanks Chang. Glad you like Brian. Did you mean Brian doing science programmes in an arena of playing his keyboard like he did in the band d-ream? 
  • No he gets full houses for shoving test tubes around and squirting water round. Chang
  • I think it's pretty overrated I mean, what have Maths & Science ever really done for us.
  • I love the Science Museum, does that count?<br><br>Joke aside, I really like scientists and I find them important; without their hard work we'd not be where we are. I admire mathematicians, mainly because I'm really bad with numbers. Probably one reason I liked algebra so much. <br>In Germany I had a friend who worked in the Bremen Fall Tower and since it all had to do with space and satellites, I was intrigued. Physics have always interested me, somehow. <br>And your cancer research will hopefully lead to less people dying in future.<br>
  • edited February 2014
    My father in law who lives in MV Rd is a scientist, it was quite funny he specializes in global warming. Yrs go nobody was interested so he went off and ran a book shop for 20 yrs. Suddenly he started getting contacted from people all over the world , been a professor lecturing ever since. Apparently much thought of in his field, always flying somewhere, even though should have retired yrs ago.<div><div><br></div><div>Makes us laugh as he is one of the quietest and most humble people have ever met, far more suited to behind the scenes in a bookshop, than globetrotting to conferences , giving speeches/ write books. In saying that i also know a lot of his work goes unpaid ( except for expenses). </div><div><br></div><div>As a result i kind of see scientists as a bit similar to artists, a lot of hard work. Some get lucky and others dont, all kneed to believe in what the do , and maybe put up with being seen as a bit mad in others eyes.</div><div><br></div><div> </div></div>
  • Does his first name begin with F, Toddlesocks? I think I know him.
  • It does checkski, don''t tell him i have been boasting about him he will be very embarrassed ;)
  • edited February 2014
    I can't stand Brian Cox I cant fault the science but I don't like the dumming down of the subject. And I just don't like him not sure why. I know miss A thinks I'm jealous and to a degree she is right. I think funding aside as it's much too problematic to discuss here as Sutent would say increase funding into oncology (correctly you won't hear me argue otherwise) Chang would say sink money into some animal related research and I would waste billions looking for the gut. All equality important (depending on your perspective) Sutent where is the line between being a clinical scientist and healing the sick? Or are they one and the same? I only ask as my work was purley theoretical and had no practical applications. I work mostly with the petrochemical industry now and usually if that industry is in the press it's never for a good reason. There was a fantastic publication called the British Scientific Glassblowing Journal sadly out of print but a gem for obscure papers. But publish or be dammed.
  • Well I never, Toddlesocks! If your pa-in-law is who I think it is, we have known each other for some 50 - 60 years. We were at school together. He's a delightful bloke.
  • I am not sure how much funding cat gutting gets from funding agencies -- but it looks as though Chang is the regional expert so he may be able to tell us more. <div><br></div><div>Detritus at the moment I am all scientist and only see patients one morning a week. I would like to be a clinical scientist and it is split 50/50. but thats for the future. I feel like a little boy in the lab now, with lots of excitement and enthusiasm. I love maths and chemistry and biology and now able to use all these skills and learn things at a higher level. Every day at work is like a dream and have to keep pinching myself. The theoretical stuff is just as important as lots of it have every day practical uses.</div><div><br></div><div>I think scientist suffer from poor communication and the government are desperate for us to improve this so our images change with the public and we are able to secure more funding and inspire more kids in school. Unfortunately science has become more cooperate with funding regulations and publications are important. Good or bad we could argue all day!</div>
  • Detritus's 'gut' is the Grand Unification Theory. No idea what it is even though he has tried explaining it to me a million (well it feels like a million), times.
  • Do you need a hug Sutent? :-)
  • Everyday is too exciting for a hug. You won't be able to pin me down
  • There's always time for a hug!<br>
  • I work for a Clinical Trials / Research company, the scientists overall are a good bunch, there are a few with delusions of grandeur, but no more than other work environments! 
  • I wrote a book about clinical trials (fiction). :-)<br><br>My friend did a few clinical trials and I signed up for them, too. Unfortunately, with Asthma, you're restricted, even for asthma trials. Strange that. <br>
  • Local global warming scientist... not Lovelock, surely?
  • I think scientists are heroes. I’d like to give a shout out to the social scientists too, whose work is as important for understanding reality as natural scientists.
  • The theoretical side can be important but due to the abstract nature of the work incomprehensible to a vast majority of the population. Apart from a few who would like to know more nobody else would be bothered to read or research something that confused them. There lies the problem, in my first post I said I don't like the dumbing down of science but to get science into the main stream it has to be understandable In Hawkins brief history of time his publisher warned him that for every equation in the book the readership would be halved, hence it includes only a single equation: E = mc2. It is catch22
  • edited February 2014
    @ checkski  delightful sounds accurate , still busy as ever, guess that may part of being a scientist, always more learn, and do !<div><br></div><div> I am very impressed the forum has members with such a long local history as yourself :)<div><br></div><div>Sutent- It is very good to hear you are so enthusiastic and enjoying your work, long may it continue ! </div></div>
  • This has got me thinking. When I was growing up we had Jonny Ball with Think. We had How and on bbc2 at silly o'clock in the morning we had the OU 1970's science modules. But the most important thing was we were also a captive audience there were only 4 channels so if a kids programme was on you watched it even if it did teach you something. The only kids science programme I see now is the yearly Royal Institute Christmas Lecture. If science could go down the horrible history route...
  • @Detritus - couldn't agree more. Add to that how inspiring the space shuttle and space programme where when we were kids,
  • edited February 2014
    Even i used to watch How and do not have a scientific bone in my body!
  • @Toddlesocks. Forgive me - this is fun! - just to be sure we are talking about the same person, but without giving his identity away: one or two more questions. He had an older brother, R? And a younger one, my age, J? And a sister, C? Fingers crossed!
  • @ Checkski, yes that is them, they used to live in Highgate Village. 
  • Southwood Lane, in fact. I went there several times, in the 60s. Give him my regards, if you see him before I do - although one tends to bump into him frequently anyway, for reasons you will understand...
  • edited February 2014
    What a lovely coincidence @checkski & @Toddlesocks! How was great, top of the science programmes has to be Tomorrow's World. Everyone watched it and talked about at school. I'm not scientifically inclined but love gadgets and contraptions and it was a 'must see'.
  • edited February 2014
    Will do checkski, he is usually in CE Sat mornings , as sure you will know ;)<div><br></div><div>The older i have got the more have liked watching how things were invented/work often Mr T and I's night time viewing, opposed to a movie.</div><div><br></div><div>I think if you do not see yourself as a natural academic' science can seem very intimidating. Certainly was in my case when younger, opposed to being disinterested.</div><div><br></div><div>Can imagine a horrible history version would be a success.</div>