W3 Bus Overcrowding

edited March 2014 in Local discussion
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Your local Lib Dem councillors have had several complaints about the W3 being overcrowded.  I have to concur - I often have to wait while several full buses whizz past before I can get on one, both in the morning and if I ever try to get one back from the Stroud Green Road at night.</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">If you've had a similar problem, and would like us to pursue this, then please take the survey here:</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1JxNGL5OmgINJjRPIVYyB--PrU-b_okvUNU00bY5iIKw/viewform</font></div>;

Comments

• I know this is really REALLY cheeky, but one way to solve the problem is: get on yer bike, get healthy! Leave the bus for those who aren't physically able or fit enough (yet). <br><br>Okay, I'll now crawl back under my rock.<br>
  • edited March 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • and it is mainly downhill !
  • edited March 2014
    I used to live right at the bottom of the Hornsey side of that hill, and if the timer said anything more than 7 minutes or so it really wasn't worth waiting, as you'd be at the tube station before the bus if you walked. I'd be lazy on occasion if the weather was rotten and I couldn't face the hill first thing in the morning, but never understood why anyone from the reservoir onwards would ever bother waiting anything more than a few minutes.<div><br></div><div>Isn't most of the problem with overcrowding on the W3 due to the fact that often there won't be one for ages and ages, <span style="font-size: 10pt;">and then 4 show up at once? I always assumed that it's due to them getting stuck in traffic round Wood Green way, where they all get backed up and end up bunched together. </span><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Maybe the route could be split in two te reduce delays on either end.</span></div>
  • It definitely has some sort of sequencing problem.<div><br></div><div>I'm the fastest walker of anyone I know (and most everyone I've seen), but 'minim' must be a faster walker than me - it takes me 10-12 minutes to walk from Mount View to Finsbury Park station.  I only get the bus when the weather is inclement or I have shopping to carry.  That can be frustrating - if I try to get it after work from the SGR back up the hill it can be really hard to get on the bus.</div>
  • Heh, ok then, make it 12 rather than 7 from the bottom if the hill. But once you factor in the bus stopping at every stop, letting a load of people on, usually getting stuck at the red light on Stapleton Hall Road and then traffic on Stroud Green Road, you really don't have to be that fast a walker! I'm as (or more) lazy as the next person in most respects, I just really dislike waiting at bus stops. Even if I don't fancy walking all the way I'll still walk to the next stop to avoid standing still.
  • Hassan and Joyce in Lorne Road remember the 'clicker' tickets which gave w3 riders 10 trips on a magnetic strip which got punched by a machine next to the driver. Chang
  • The bunching actually helps with crowding.  If every bus was at even interval I don't think people would get on beyond Mount View (and even that would be difficult).  When there are 3 buses in a row you at least know you'll be able to get on the last bus!<br>
  • Good point N19 - I never thought of that
  • edited March 2014
    What's the point in three coming along at once if you've had to wait 15 minutes for them to show up? I know this only applies to the people at the front of the queue and the ones at the end won't have been waiting as long and will be happy to get a seat, but when you find yourself staring at a 10+ min coundtown every other morning (maybe I was exceptionally unluckly? I doubt it), you might as well just give up and walk. 
  • As to going to Harringay/Hornsey stations rather than W3 - the weekend service has been so often non-existent over the years that paying for a zone 3 travelcard that could only be used 5 days in the week is nothing short of planned robbery by TFL.
  • Harringay/Hornsey stations aren't operated by TfL.  And actually TfL would recieve more money from someone with a z1-2 season ticket travelling via Finsbury Park than they would with a z1-3 season ticket travelling from H&H.<br><br>You'll be pleased to hear off peak frequency will be increasing substantially (with all trains going to Moorgate rather than Kings Cross) once the new franchise starts.<br>
  • edited March 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Who gets the money when I board a service at Hgy with my Oyster? FCC? TFL take the money for a zone 1-3 oyster, but you cannot get a refund when you cannot use the Z3 part of it at weekends if you live in this area.