Garment Industry Regeneration in Haringey

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Very interesting thanks.  I was walking along Fonthill Road the other day and thinking what an interesting place it is.  I seem to recall reading it has only been a fashion hub for 30 years which got me wondering how and why it clustered there? Also, is it mainly wholesale/what market is it attracting?<br><br>Does anyone know anything more about it's history?  The area must be doing fairly well as there are very few vacant units.<br>
  • In terms of the general article, I think there is real potential for much small scale/cottage type industry to return to the UK with former industrial areas especially well placed.<br><br>As wages go up across South East asia and there being substantial barriers to expansion in Africa I suspect some of the higher end fashion and manufacturing could return to the UK/Western world.  The potential of 3D printers is particularly large and I really hope that the UK places itself in prime position for this type of inudstry.  We remain a world lead in advertising, marketing, design and creative industries so having production close to design will bring obvious advantages.<br><br>Zara is a good example of local sourced products with 50% of it's clothes being made in Spain and Portugal.<br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I agree - i don't see the return of the factory in this country, much more a growth in the small scale stuff you refer to.<br>
  • Can't say for sure, @Northnineteen, but I wonder if Fonthill Rd garment shops are there because of the garment manufacturies in the area between Manor House & Seven Sisters? You might have seen signs to Florentia Clothing Village on Green Lanes.
  • Misscara - thanks for the link to the article.  <div>If I remember correctly, they are based on Hermitage Road.<br><div><br></div></div>
  • edited May 2014
    I had the misfortune of getting married pretty much at the same time as Posh and Becks, every single place I went asked me if I wanted a Victoria Beckham replica dress...which unfortunately for the retailers was not what I wanted ( I have an aversion to wedding gowns and the woman herself...)<div><br><div>I ended up getting a nice dress (not a wedding gown) on Fonthill Road 2 weeks before the ceremony...</div><div>Very pleased with it and with the service,  alterations and final result!</div></div>
  • Eade Road, Tewkesbury Road, Hermitage Road, Tavistock Road and Vale Road. All just off Seven Sisters Road close to Woodberry Down Baptist Church. I have friends living in a place called the cutting rooms and as far as I can see its a mix of artists live work spaces and clothing manufacturing from small one man places to huge factories Plus a small scrap yard, and a woodworking shop in the same area.
  • edited May 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.