Slight basement flooding

I have recently moved into the area and have just found that after the torrential rain my basement has flooded very slightly (there is a small puddle of water in there). There also appears to be some kind of manhole cover in the basement where I think the water is coming from. Is this a common problem with basements in the area and/or does anyone know if this is concerning?

Comments

• <p>You've found the River Hornsey!</p><p>Some neighbours and local friends have suffered - water table round here is high apparently.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>
  • We have a basement that's been converted. Somewhere down there under the carpet I think is a manhole - or so says the plans for the application when it was done (not by us). I presume it goes down to the drains from the toilets. Our front of house drain is deep lying, you can see if you lift the manhole cover.<div><br></div><div>It's worth calling Thames Water. Although they may not cover it as it is in your house, they will probably send someone round and they can tell you their thoughts. Been very helpful to us in the past. Give them a call and be nice to the person on the phone.</div>
  • <p>Hi, I am not sure how much of this you know? One of the reasons why Stroud Green was so late to be settled and developed as an area (not even a small village as at Hornsey or Muswell Hill) is because the land besides Finsbury Park (ex Hornsey Wood) tracing Lancaster Rd - Woodstock Rd, Fonthill Rd to Crouch Hill and then Stapleton was a basically marsh. In fact if you read the doomsday book I believe that the area is excluded because of this. Even Campbell Bunk, the name given to the notorious area around FP was actually described in 17c documentation as not being where the name gained notoriety but a homestead off Hornsey Rd, the other side of Hornsey Marsh! </p><p>Not much help I know but it explains the high water table and a little bit of local history.</p>