Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Top Posters

Nuclear power

LizLiz
edited May 2007 in General chat
At the risk of starting a thread that isn't to do with kebabs, any views on this? As a child of parents who went on anti-nuclear marches but also someone who's quite worried about climate change, I'm a bit torn. My mum had one of these stickers in the back of our Maxi for as long as I can remember... ![nuclear](http://www.wildberrys.org.uk/non_blog_images/nuclear_power_nothanks.gif)

Comments

• edited 12:58PM
    this is work and you know it.
  • edited 12:58PM
    Okay, I'll bite...

This is in more of a braindump style.

I fully believe that nuclear energy is the future of human survival. I also believe that humans are a stupid bunch. Risks of nuclear energy are very small, if properly managed, which seems beyond most people. Problems only come about through terrible flaws in people, be it money-grabbing companies or people who don't read the dials.

That's the scariest part. Sheer negligence.

If there was 100% guarentee, there would be no problem. Compared to fossil fuel, the damage to the environment is much less bar a meltdown.

I'm not approaching the hypocracy side of things. "We can have nuclear power but you can't" is another arguement.

My fascination of nuclear power comes down to one thing: It will be a nuclear powered Space Ark that will get us to Mars, not this potato-lobbing NASA nonsense.