Pedestrianising Charter Court ('Stroud Green Square')

13»

Comments

• I would never choose to sit there breathing in the exhaust fumes, but I suppose some people must find it pleasant. Where are the parking spaces? I had not noticed any spaces outside the shops, but as a non-driver they wouldn't jump out at me.
  • I think you may have in mind the wrong spot, Annie.  It's the only spot by SG crossroads *without* traffic, behind the shrubs outside Vagabond and Hettie Holland.<div><br></div><div>I wholeheartedly endorse the point about the disabled parking space, it could surely be relocated to Osborne Road, and hopefully the new pedestrian space would be more accessible and disability-frienldy than it is now!</div>
  • <p style="box-sizing: border-box; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; margin-top: 0px !important; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Hello everyone,</p><div style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br style="box-sizing: border-box;"></div><div style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">I am Sara who lives locally and owns/runs Hettie Holland next to Vagabond Cafe. I have joined up to add my support to the discussions taking place regarding the road directly outside my shop. I am happy to be part of any applications or meetings that are happening as obviously it affects me directly. I think it would be a great asset to Stroud Green to have a designated pedestrian area that can fit park benches, cycle racks and plant tubs and create a focal point to Stroud Green which we currently lack.  Consideration must be made though to the residents of Charter Court who will loose their parking - although during the day I can confirm that the majority of the vehicles parking on the slip road are taxis running from the taxi firms opposite and on Tollington.  </div><div style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br style="box-sizing: border-box;"></div><div style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">I will also let you know when I am having any events at the store as I am trying to get a music night together in May where my fabulous 1970's Fender Rhodes electric piano gets played before it's sold. So any players - jazz/funk only ( there aren't enough keys for Mozart/Bach) do message me. </div><div style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br style="box-sizing: border-box;"></div><div style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; margin-bottom: 0px !important; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">That's all for now - looking forward to seeing where the slip road discussion goes. </div>
  • Miss Annie, there is parking on the Islington side that runs all the way up the road from just outside Tesco to almost Sainsbury's - there's also Tollington Park.<div><br></div><div>Luirette, if you have a disabled badge are you allowed to park on the yellow lines on Stroud Green Road etc, or does the fact the road is busy make getting in and out harder?</div>
  • Almost all the double yellow lines on Stroud Green Road have got extra restrictions on them preventing blue badge holders from parking there. I find this is generally the case in busy areas with shops where people would like to park, but it would cause disruption. But also sometimes even when it's technically allowed to park on double yellow, it's just not safe or sensible.
  • so what happens next? we should form up at the next social and set up our plan - Hettie, you could ceretainly help in gathering support from local shopkeepers.
  • What's the process for lobbying for more disabled parking spaces? 
  • I wish I knew! I've twice brought it up with the council and each time I just get the same pat answer: that there is parking on the Islington side of Stroud Green Road (which gets full and is not near enough the post office for me) and that blue badge holders can park on double yellow lines, which around there is either not allowed, obstructive or just plain dangerous. They just don't seem to be bothered to understand. Given that it also took an astounding eight months for the disabled parking space in front of my house to be painted in, I get the feeling that disability issues are a very low priority.
  • Hmm. Leonard Cheshire might be helpful here, or we could start a petition?
  • have you raised it specifically with our ward councillors? Kristen has experience in getting changes done to make London more accessible (she was once on TfL's board in part as a disability champion). I would suggest any temporary plan should resite any disabled parking spaces (in fact increase their number) as part of the changes - hopefully the Stroud Green Chamber of Commerce can get behind the proposals and help on these issues as well - Hettie, is this something you can help mon?