Twitter

124»

Comments

• Cool! Though I won't be hurt if you'd rather ask a more familiar face from here! <br><br>Will now attempt to figure out how to whisper.... ;)<br>
  • Went to see the mighty Stewart Lee last night. He's very funny about Twitter and his contempt for it - "state surveillance staffed by volunteers"
  • I saw his show just before Christmas. I thought he phoned it in a bit compared to his last show, which was angrier and funnier. His problems now, as someone who sets himself up to be the most angry, most outsidery, most contempuous of the manstream comedian is that he has his own tv show and Daniel Kitson exists.
  • <p>I like 'manstream' as a genre.</p><p>Stewart Lee is a customer in our shop, he's chatty, charming and lovely. He was the only one to buy a copy of the Bob Mould biography.</p>
  • But even Stewart Lee phoning it in is a rare and precious delight. He's near the top of my list of people who make me happy just knowing they exist. But I agree, his whole thing might start to look a bit disingenuous in light of mainstream - if not manstream, which may be where he actually wants to be - awards etc. Still brilliant though.
  • Hey, all<br><br>I'm new here -- well -- in SG and also on this forum. I use twitter regularly as a marketing tool. As a self-published author I have to rely on social media and networking. It can be great fun and I've met people from all over the world.<br><br>I also have a facebook account and a blog. I guess if I didn't need to be on facebook or twitter, I'd be gladly ignoring it. Not sure why 'private' people feel the need to tell people about their bowel movements (happens a lot), but if you want to find like-minded people, it's a great way to connect. Blogging, too is great fun. <br><br>Best,<br><br>Stella<br>
  • <P>I can strongly recommend @harpistic for her Twitter tutorial as conducted in Dream River cafe - thanks!   I think I've got it now.  I will now cease bothering s.g.org with pathetic please for help..</P> <P>@harpistic, if you don't mind I might still drop you the odd p. message if I get stuck, hope that's OK.   </P> <P>@Stella can I do the same with you for the off bit of advice as you sound like the kind of person who's using Twitter the way I have in mind (ie not tweet every time I have a haircut or as you delicately put it, a bowel movement).</P>
  • Krappy, if you plan to use twitter for self promotion it's good to do a few more general tweets in between. I've dropped a few craftsy types that only post about their projects - it's as dull as looking at other people's holiday snaps. At the bookshop we only follow authors that seem like interesting people, (Philip Ardagh is brilliant on Twitter) as a non stop 'buy my book' posting is dull, even more so when they only link to Amazon!
  • Krappy, you are welcome to message me at any given time :-) <br><br>If you like you can also connect with me via twitter @stelladeleuze, you'll then see how I use it and might be annoyed soon enough. haha. On some days I just can't be bothered to 'chat' and simply posts links to my book or blog. My followers are almost all writers or others who are in the publishing business.<br>
  • annie, I quite agree. A good mix is highly recommended. If your tweets are interesting people will check out your profile and go from there.<br><br>What I hate though, and I've been well known for my rants about social media, is when people connect with your on twitter, just to Direct Message you with a link to their book page, blog, whatevertheythinkisimportant and ask you to take a look at it. They get deleted and unfollowed immediately. Oh I can rant for ages about that.<br><br>As I said above in my answer to Krappy, I sometimes just post a link to my books on amazon, sometimes, it's a time issue and often it's just a matter of 'I really am not in the mood for a chat'. <br>
  • AliAli
    edited January 2012
    <P> </P>
  • Ali, If you’re going to copy your posts from an external program and paste them into the message window, you might want to use the ‘paste as text’ button. That’s the brown one with the T on it. It will rid you of that formatting problem.
  • Hmm, maybe the WI should invite along a couple for SGers for a Twitter tutorial - I'm thinking of joining it, but I haven't understood most of what I've read here!
  • <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; mso-bidi-font-size: 11.0pt"><FONT face=Calibri><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><FONT face=Calibri></FONT></B><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></B> </P>