Old Maps

Comments

• Donna, try Stanford's they're very good on historical maps.
  • edited June 2012
    Better still, join the HHS while you are there ... the annual booklet of articles sent to members is very nicely produced, with a regular newsletter and member discounts ... all worth the modest membership fee ... never mind just supporting 'a good thing'. i'd also plug the Edmonton Hundred Historical Society, which covers 'next door', as it were ... lots of interesting archaeogical stuff ... and modest membership fee ... again, worth it on the 'a good thing' basis alone.
  • More maps than you can shake a stick at... http://mappinglondon.co.uk/
  • edited October 2013
    Very cool, very detailed 1893 map. <a href="http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=51.57622&lon=-0.11235&layers=B000000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF">Enjoy</a><div><br></div><div>Edit - first time that I realised that Wray Crescent wasn't always open space. Curious.  What led to the demolition, I wonder... a bomb?  Or did the mapmakers err, and those houses were never built?</div>
  • I'm pretty sure it was WWII bombing, according to the LCC damage maps.
  • Great map Arkday.  I'm amazed by the mansions at Holly Park and also the open countryside where Crouch End clock tower is now.<div><br></div><div>Still trying to work out how old my house is.... it appears on maps from 1890 but there is then a gap up to about 1850 where I can't find any maps of this area.</div>
  • Try page 1 of this thread?
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Squeeeee</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://londonist.com/2014/03/detailed-victorian-london-map-superimposed-on-google-maps.php</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div>
  • edited March 2014
    In Greenwich market there is a great shop that just sells old maps.
  • edited July 2014
    From old maps to new maps - worth having a peak at Google Maps today. London has gone 3D. Make sure you hit the 'tilt the map' option in the bottom right (on a desktop, anyway).<br><br>To quote Andy, THIS SHIT IS BLADERUNNER, PEOPLE<br>
  • I have Ordance Survey Maps of FP & SG 1912 & 1894 if anyone wants me to look something up for them.
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;">I think there may be a new map on NLS from the late 40s/50s:</span></font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333330154419px; line-height: normal;">http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/index.cfm#zoom=17&lat=51.56721&lon=-0.10921&layers=173</span></font><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333330154419px; line-height: normal;"><br></span></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333330154419px; line-height: normal;">What's interesting is the level of detail, for instance appears 57-59 Stroud Green Road was a confectionary factory and the Worlds End used to be known as the Earl of Essex.  Lots of other interesting details.</span></font></div>
  • <p>It was Barratt's factory. they made Jelly Babies among other things.</p>
  • I can recall when the World's End was the Earl of essex, it wasn't that long ago.    I can remember wondering why they changed the name and what the Earl of Essex's connection with this area was....if any.
  • That's a great map. Interesting to see there that Wray Crescent still connects up. Did they really clear all those houses to create the open space?<div><br></div><div>I like the aerial map modern day overlay - it was taken the summer before last. I know that because brilliantly I can see a paddling pool in our garden in it.</div>
  • One thing I've noticed, is that often the newly formed open spaces are near large estates so maybe the view was that these would be open space for the estates, in the case of Wray Cresent I assume it was for the Andover Estate.<br>
  • @Thanks N!9. Thats an amazing map. There was a perfumery on Tollington park. I wonder if they made old spice? 
  • <P>The Earl of Essex used to be the place for a last drink on the way up the road  in the olden  days last century when pubs closed at 11pm.</P> <P>It used to close at midnight and was quite old fashioned in that it had a lounge bar and public bar.  The lounge bit on the side where  the gents  toilets are used to stay open late and was full of mainy  Irish folks who on the dot of Midnight would sing a song whcih I asusme was the Irish national anthem</P>
  • That map is amazing, thanks @NorthNineteen.
  • A number of the open spaces - including Wray Crescent Park - are where there was particularly heavy bombing in WWII. So they chose to make parks rather than rebuild I guess.
  • We've got an odd house a couple of doors down from us on Hanley Road - it's sixties and different to the other Victorian terraces, but just slots into the terrace at the end.<div><br></div><div>Shows up as an empty space on that map. I always thought that might be a bomb damage thing.</div>
  • born in 89 hanley road (ok ACTUALLY arrived in ward 12a whittington hospital (wards were numbered and 13 never exists) at 13:13 on the 13th)<br><br>grew up in 148 hanley rd... we swapped with an elderly couple... our 2 1st floor rooms for their 5 (2 up, 2 down (basement) +kitchen and outside loo)<br><br>community and scout hall behind st saviours.... boys brigade hall behind regina road / tollington park rd.<br><br>always remember the "spit and sawdust" , Literally, Stapleton Arms... very rough but good Bass in 60s.<br><br>along the side of 148 hanley was (should still be there) concrete block... full length of house, 3ft wide to wall/road and 2 ft above grond level... plus the house end of the garden was thick concrete..... these should be there as they stopped the house sliding into evershot... (it slid 2 1/2 inches away from next door before they got it shored-up) due to parachute mine on land that now has flats on it (evershot to regina)... <br><br>new library opened in early 60s and flats opposite were result of another parachute mine.... so was the maternity hospital site, hanley court and properties in line to wray crescent... prefabs to wray crescent when we left in 69.<br><br>malcolm@mill.me.uk <br>
  • <font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;"><font face="Calibri" size="3">Similar. I was born in the City of London Maternity hospital on Hanley Road and decamped to Corbyn Street soon after although probably not as palatial as your Hanley Road abode as we had 4 rooms, 1 of which we could not use owing to the lack of a ceiling, including the kitchen which my mother always referred to as the scullery for some reason. Outside loo in the garden with the living room being converted into a bathroom on a Friday night when the old zinc bath made an appearance.</font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;"><font face="Calibri" size="3">I remember going to the church hall on Tollington Park once for some sort of activity during the school summer holidays, probably a film show or something similar, but that is the only time I can remember visiting there. Summer holidays itself was usually catching the steam train from Crouch Hill straight through to Southend for a night or two at a B&B or if times were hard catching the 251 Eastern National bus from Wood Green instead. </font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;"><font face="Calibri"><font size="3">I was too young to visit the pubs, we moved away from the area when I was about 13, but a school friend’s dad ran The Plough on the junction of Hornsey Road & Tollington Park so did spend some time there although not in the actual bar itself. </font><span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"><font size="3"> </font></span><font size="3">My favourite local haunt was the family run pie & mash shop on Hornsey Road between Corbyn Street & Thorpdale Road, great pie, mash & liquor but the best apple pies I have ever tasted. I worked there for a while during one of the school summer holidays which gave me a slightly different perspective on the place particularly the jellied eels which still haunt me.</font></font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;"><font face="Calibri"><font size="3">I also remember the library on Hanley Road, Arthur Simpson library I believe, that had the child section downstairs and adult upstairs. My mother & sister were in one of the houses on Hanley Road </font><span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"><font size="3"> </font></span><font size="3">that were bombed on new year’s towards the end of the war, my mother was quite badly injured, and assume that it was after the bombing that they moved into Corbyn Street. </font></font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;"><font face="Calibri" size="3">The space between Thorpdale Road & Wray Crescent was a bomb site which we used as our adventure playground, had an annual bonfire on Guy Fawkes night and which I used as a cut through to school each morning. I remember a new housing estate being delivered on the back of a few lorries one summers evening, probably around 1958/9, a sort of forerunner to MFI or IKEA, with a new estate of pre-fab homes appearing in next to no time with our playground and my cut through to school disappearing. At least we still had the bomb site on the corner of Almington & Corbyn Street to play on, for a while at least.</font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font>
  • There really is a huge amount of bomb damage around Hanley/Corbyn/Thorpedale.  I count at least 7 from the aerial maps which seems a lot for such a small area.<br>
  • Fascinating stuff.<div><br></div><div>If anyone has a photo of what the Arthur Simpson library used to look like then I'd love to see it.</div>
  • <a rel="nofollow" href="http://biblio.unibe.ch/web-apps/maps/zoomify.php?pic=Ryh_1813_13.jpg&col=ryh" style="box-sizing: border-box; text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold; font-size: 13.3333px; color: rgb(42, 100, 150) !important; background: 0px 0px rgb(255, 255, 255);">Link to 1741 to 1745 map</a>
  • Odd that there don't seem to be any images online for the Arthur Simpson. It wasn't much to look at, but I still miss it.
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;">Here's a highly detailed 1893-5 ordinance survey map. I like how the space between Oakfield Road and Harringay station is still fields!</span></font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;">http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=51.5768&lon=-0.1104&layers=163</span></font><br></div>;