Thai massage

edited June 2008 in Local discussion
Can someone post a review of the Thai massage being offered outside Tesco by the pierced chappie with cardboard menu?

Comments

• edited June 2008
    No, but I will chip a fiver in to your Thai massage fund, TC, so that you can post a review.
  • edited June 2008
    Damn! Sadly I can't stand massage, and anyway, I think he's only charging about a fiver - I didn't peruse the menu that closely.
  • edited 7:51PM
    is there a happy ending?
  • edited June 2008
    Let's hope so. Although Avril Lavigne never gets one.
    When did sg.org become popbitch?
    Or egullet, or ebay, or technorati... It's diverse isn't it?
  • edited June 2008
    when a man is tired of stroudgreen.org, he is tired of the internet
    there's also a thai "massage" place on hornsey road.
    His massages start at £2! Bargain! though I'm a bit too much of a scaredy cat to actually try one.
  • edited July 2008
    A Thai massage on The Bench of Lost Souls outside Tesco ... What an exotic and relaxing experience that must be.

Good ol’ Strouders.

The world on one street. :)
    The world on one street. :)

Thanks Phil, that says it perfectly
  • edited July 2008
    He should come over the road to the bench outside of ours - that's if he can get a look in what with the three stooges in their summer residence and all.

What is a Thai massage anyway? Just plain massage by someone who's from Thailand? When I walked passed he was just squeezing someone's shoulders. What's Thai about that?

BTW - my money's on Miso going down the pan if the Hanoi's any good.
    I've had a Thai massage before. For one thing, it's done with the clothes on. No oil. No, um, happy endings. It feels like a lot of prodding and kneading. It's not entirely unenjoyable, but not the greatest thing in the world, either.

So the guy actually gets customers?
  • edited July 2008
    I’ve not seen any customers. It would be amusing to watch someone try it or hear from anyone who has.

Incidentally, I thought the massagey person was a lady…?

I’m no expert but I had a couple of Thai massages in Thailand a few months ago. The practitioners use their knees and elbows to knead and pull and stretch you in a way that I can only describe as torture.

It hurt.

I mean, your fingers aren’t supposed to bend that way. Pleasingly, the price in Thailand was only about two quid, too, so the guy’s certainly going for authenticity.

My body is not willing, nor my brain diseased enough to want to experience the same thing on the Bench of Lost Souls, however.
  • IanIan
    edited 7:51PM
    I go to the Chinese massage place on Stroud Green once in a blue moon. Pretty good if you ask me. Mind you, Chinese massage is like being beaten up so don't do it if you want the smelling salts and a light rubbing. It's to sort those tight muscles out whether you like it or not.
    Fookin massage!
    <i>Chinese massage place on Stroud Green</i>

Is that the place that advertises "CHINESE MASSGAE" in large text in the window?
    I once had a Chinese massage, I think it was in upstate Thailand. It involved a very large man taking his shoes off and walking all over me. Not for the faint hearted. Quite good though.

Has anyone been beaten with birch twigs in a sauna?
    Yep, at the Russian Baths on East 10th Street, NYC, though they might have been oak twigs. I couldn't tell with a sack over my head doused in cold water. Then I was plunged into ice-cold water. Recommend it
  • AliAli
    Sounds like a water boarding training camp !
    Had it done to me in Russia in a wooden shack in a Soviet era holiday camp north of Leningrad by a bunch of cackling Bolsheviks. Well they may not have been Bolsheviks as it was 1991 and post Gorbachov. They enjoyed it though, never had a chance to thrash an Englishman before. Bloody hurt too.
    @ Ian, I want to know more about chinese massage place - is it cheap?
  • IanIan
    @colette. Depends on your idea of cheap. Last time I went price has gone up to £40 for an hour but that's about or cheaper than what you would spend in town (last time I did).

They have a new place for the massage - in the back of the baby clothes shop. (interesting combo...). They were just getting that place sorted when I went in so it wasn't quite up to aesthetics but frankly after 10 minutes of massage it was neither here nor there.
    Thanks Ian - that sounds fairly reasonable, and I like a painful massage. Can't stand that gentle nonsense. I shall investigate next time my shoulder blades start acting up.
  • Is this the place that has the sign saying "Massage Tuna"?

I'd try that. But only if it was dolphin friendly.