Dotori review

Comments

• Is this place incredibly cheap?

I ask because it seems that people want to go there despite crap service, etc. I would not go back to a place that made me wait so long for a menu that I had to get it myself. Nor to a place that consistently didn't have the items listed on their menu. There's nothing wrong with a limited menu. Just get a blackboard and write down what it is that you do have.

As a vegetarian of 15 years, I would not go to a place where the chef doesn't understand that vegetarian = no prawns. And as far as making substitutions without checking, that's just ridiculous.

I've just ordered some food from Hana. After I hung up the phone, the girl called me back to check that it was okay to put egg into a dish that I had specifically ordered as vegetarian. Now that's good service.
  • IanIan
    edited 7:16PM
    They have completely sorted out the teething problems with service - much better. They are just opening so I wanted to give them a break, not least because I love sushi, and they have been worth the break. Good food.
  • edited 7:16PM
    I am yet to try Hana. I really must
    i just love sushi
    As I said earlier on this thread, I thought the service was good, the food was good. @ RC - can we leave the whole service/tipping rant out of this thread until you have actually been there?
  • benben
    @ RC: They are a small, family business, with a nice attitude, taking a risk with their location and serving up good value, tasty food in an area that needs a bit of variety. So, yes, I am prepared to give them a break when things aren't perfect.
    We want to go because we all seem to have different service expectations and experiences - I wasn't going to post about this because it's negative, but we're seem to be overly lauding the place so... On Sunday I ordered delivery from Hana. After an hour I got a call from the driver saying he couldn't find the place (it is on SGR), when I tried to explain where is was he couldn't understand and I couldn't understand him. I phoned the restaurant back and the lady who answered the phone just laughed and said she was sorry but was there anything on the road that was a landmark like a McDonalds or something. She explained that the driver had GPS and couldn't find it. I asked what she proposed to do about it and she just said she was sorry but offered no solution or compensation. I had to call her back twice and the delivery man twice and it eventually turned up 90 minutes after it was ordered. Now that's shit service.
    @ tosscat - so, Hana delivery service has issues. Have you been to Dotori?
    Not yet, but they don't deliver, do they? I tried to go on Saturday.
  • I'm all for supporting local businesses that are worth supporting.

And Geoff, this has absolutely nothing to do with tipping. A chef who doesn't know that a vegetarian dish should not contain prawns is miles away from what is acceptable. As are unannounced substitutions. That's not teething problems. That's a total lack of professionalism and respect for the customer. I have no plans to go to Dotori. Based on what I've read here, I have zero confidence in the chef.

Hana delivered my food in 25 minutes last night, as they do pretty much every time. And it was delicious.
  • edited August 2008
  • LizLiz
    Went this evening for dinner - service was generally good, there was fresh tuna and it was delicious. I recommend the roll with all the different kind of fish - can't remember what it was called but you'll know which one it is when you get the menu.
    Adding my review to the general sense of delight over Dotori.

Service was good, sushi was really good and the spicy korean stew I had was ace.

And it was all pretty well priced.
    I don't know what kind of drugs those of you that said the service was crap are taking, but my experience was fabulous! I too am vegetarian and was offered a prawn dish after I asked the waitress which options were meat free, however, the staff seem to be fresh off of the boat from Korea and not all countries have the same idea of vegetarianism (I had a similar experience in Calais). Give them a chance, they'll learn. Otherwise, the food was delicious, the service was great, and the dinner ware, well, I wanted to take it home with me because it was just that cool! I think that their choice of location was a little daring considering "the park" isn't exactly upscale, but I hope that they last. My only complaint is that they don't deliver.
    And at some point it seems we need to chart their opening hours. Was the sushi bit open?
    Well! Just been there for an absolutely awesome meal. Well and truly trumpted the lunch I had there a while back. However, they are still short stocking a few things - they had run out of bottled water and later soba noodles. There was only one free tables just before we left, and this is 9.30pm on a Sunday evening, so I think they're doing OK. Starter A plate of varied shallow fried, battered good: fish stick, courgette and kimchi - which I had heard lots of good things about and can now say is my new favourite thing. Brilliant. Main The super-friendly father(?) figure of the resuarant politely asked if I wouyld like some help with the menu. We confirmed the starter and I asked about the "stone hot pot" Korean dishes. Essentially some bolied rice topped with fresh veg and your choice of topping from veg/beef/seafood and one of three sauces (I chose beef topping with hot pepper sauce). All ingredients are raw, and the scalding hot stone pot cooks it all gradually as you eat. I've tried something similar in Tokyo, and this brought it all flooding back. Brilliant, again. My girlfriend went for sushi, which arrived and was very fresh (not refrigerated, or at least not much) and exquisitely arranged. Great miso soup, too. They are closed Mondays and open every other day. Busiest days Thursday-Friday, Sunday is becomign busier. Tuesday is their quiet day. The guy said he will sleep at least until 12-noon tomorrow! I will be back there regularly.
    Just come back from dinner at Dotori, and I'm a very happy bunny. I love this place.

First, to address what seems to be the major gripe, namely, the service. Well I thought it was fautless (and I used to wait tables, so can be quite unforgiving of sloppy service). Menus came straight away, and as matt says, they offered us help with the menu (slowly, and several times over in the case of my slightly dopey maman) and answered all our questions politely, helpfully and intelligently. The food came promptly, in the right order, and with all correct components.

Now, the food - we all went Korean - shared some starters of yakitori and dumplings, both good, then my mum and aunt had the sizzling hot pots, which I tasted and thought were excellent. Matt explains them above so I won't explain again. I had a Korean dish of raw fish on rice and salad, with a spicy sauce, which was also good, albeit less interesting that the sizzling pots. The fish tasted very fresh though. And it all came to £36. You can't really argue with those prices.

Quite literally my only gripe would be that my asahi could have been colder - and I think that's been mentioned above. It really is the only complaint I have though, and it isn't much of one.

The place itself looked cosy on a damp night, and was actually pretty much full, which is excellent news. I really hope they do well, they really deserve to.
    They do take away, but they don't deliver... (oh, and when I asked, they said they could do the sizzling hot pots take away, but that it obviously wouldn't be as good, so if you want to try them, eat in!)
  • edited August 2008
    I went last week and had another good meal. We had a great pancakey starter with veg and prawns which was great, then some sushi and the raw, sizzling beef stone hot pot which was lovely. The sushi plate we had probably wasn't as good as Hana, so will stick to the Korean food next time (I am really fussy about sushi at the moment for some reason). I will go with the chef's recommendations I think on the hot menu - what more do you want for a cold, winter August evening. The wine list is either Red or White which was just the sort of choice I needed after a long day. The waitress recommended the red which was very reasonable. It had also been chilled which is normal in Korea. This isn't a gripe, it made choosing the wine a lot easier, and saved me valuable time. I am looking forward to going back for a third time!
  • LizLiz
    I had chilled red wine too, and was a bit confused - happy to know it's intentional!
  • edited August 2008
    My mum is down, we're helping my brother move house this weekend. I wanted to take them tonight, but my brother is super stressed with the move so has just whisked her off towards SE London. Gah! Contemplating going it alone
    I grew up in SE London - it wasn't really London. SG is loads better. Go it alone Matt. You know you want to.
    Yum!! Went lastnight and thought it was great. Had to wait ten minutes for a table, and I must say a lovely cold Asahi would have been nice while we waited, but a drink wasn't offered.

However, the food was fab. We went Korean and I had the veggie bibimap(?). The waitress was really helpful in recommending a sauce to go with it and telling me how to eat it (stir the sauce in and mix all the bits up together). Very nice. Would definitely go back.
  • IanIan
    Don't go expecting that thought in service from them, although they are very nice they could do with an episode or two of Gordon Ramsey about how front of house can work better. Do expect some very nice food though at great prices. I'm a big fan.
  • LizLiz
    Well, katiejane's experience wasn't a one off - I went three or four weeks ago and had the veggie bibimbap and had the same very helpful service on what to do with it. Maybe it depends what you order?
    I don't really understand what's wrong with their front of house? I've been there 3 times now and it's been impeccable every time. Literally the only thing that I can find to criticise is that they need to crank up their beer fridge.
    No no no - nothing wrong with it - all the meeting and greeting was impeccable, it was just then the guy who'd done it disappeared and there was just one waitress for the whole restaurant. We'd been there a good half hour before we got a drink.
    That's a bit rubbish, granted!
  • IanIan
    edited September 2008
    I've been in for ages without a drink, sat without menus for ages, wrong food bought a few more times than once which is sloppy. It isn't bad, but they don't think sometimes. i.e. person comes in - give them menu and drink, it buys time. They are really pleasant, it isn't that that is the problem. Just some attention, particularly, when it is busy, to the things that will keep people happy whilst waiting.