The Credit Crunch

edited October 2008 in General chat
Markets through the floor, banks and small atlantic islands going bust. But apart from people I know who work in banking/financial services, it hasn't really affected anyone yet. Has any of this stuff hit you at all? Apart from the interest cut slicing a bit off my mortgage, I've not really noticed it (yet).

Comments

• edited 3:36AM
    The News is very boring.
    You'll notice it if the current term of your mortgage deal ends in the next 18-24 months.
    I'm yet to notice it
    Our fixed rate mortgage finished a few months back, but the variable rate we've moved onto has been far less bad than we thought at the time.
    For those of us north of SGR, we may shortly be hit... according to Featherstone: "So it seems that Haringey Council has invested £37 million in Icelandic banks - and the Chancellor (in his statement earlier this week) made it pretty clear that councils - who he called 'informed corporate investors' - could go swing." Quite what the Lib Dems would have done about this is not immediately clear.
    top comedy moment in the news yesterday, they were listing companies with lots of money invested in iceland. including "frozen goods retailer…" (at which point the reporter paused, looked very confused for a second, then continued) "…iceland".
  • AliAli
    edited 3:36AM
    Well Porcheta has a Credit Crunch Munch Offer
    Which makes me like it even less.
    Well, the credit crunch seems to have caused the Hanoi Grill to close before it even opened. I'd like to think that Gordon Brown is working on a bailout plan for it.
    Maybe it's time for the Woody Empire or the Pak Consortium to step in and prop up the ailing restaurant.
    A Stroud Green Road Bailout! The government steps in and Woody's is encouraged to buy Hanoi Grill for a pound. The Noble, Dairy and Fullback are forced to merge into a single pub, run by Howard from the Halifax adverts. The Larrik is allowed to fail. The government now own 60% of Home, the Sunshine Cafe and the Mind Charity Shop.
    Pak's collapses under the weight of toxic assets in its little-known 'Kebabish' subsidiary, which repackages a variety of high-risk meats into packages bought by local authorities, pension funds and drunks.