Haringey GP

edited December 2008 in Local discussion
Any recommendations? I'm in Florence Road and need to sign up to my local GP, I think Petra belongs to the one on SGR but thinks they're crap. We had some recommendations for the Islington side on the forum, but any alternatives for the North East of Stroud Green?

Comments

• edited 6:55AM
    I'm at the 157 SGR one, with Dr Nubi - I think he's absolutely fine.
  • edited December 2008
    I'm at the Stroud Green Medical Centre (across from the dairy) and they're pretty good. The Receptionist are friendly (always a good sign) and Dr Frank? seems pretty good. I even got a next day appointment once so no complaints at all..
    I'm also with Dr Nubi, although I usually see Dr Rasheed. He is very good, but I'm not impressed with the receptionists. They keep you waiting a long time, once it was just to finish an argument among themselves! They also have funny opening hours, closed from about 12:30 til 4:00, but they are open until 6 so handy for after work appointments. Plus it's next door to the pharmacy which is useful for picking up prescriptions.
    If you don't mind travelling up the hill, we've found the Clock Tower practice in Crouch End to be excellent since we joined earlier this year (so they were accepting people from down here (Perth Rd) at that point at least).

There has been at least one thread on this same topic before with lots of opinions so might be worth a search.
  • At SG Medical Centre too - it's ok and they have a neon light telling you when you're in next - you see your name in lights for a while in London - which is novel! Also saw Doctor Frank one time crossing towards the Dairy saying hello and knowing the name of the lady pushing her baby next to me - which I thought was a nice touch (or perhaps the 'lady' was a nag/hypochondriac I don't know)
    <a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/739/doctors/">
    This was the previous thread on GPs</a>
  • edited December 2008
    Yeah I'd read the previous one, though it was more Islington side focused. Seems the two on SGR are the main local ones for SG Haringey. Think I'm going to give the Medical Centre a go. Cheers all for the replies.
    There appears to be a hole here so maybe someone would like a little bit of history again.

In the December of 1945 I, 7 years old, was returning home by foot, (of course), from Saturday Morning Pictures at the Rank Cinema down past Finsbury Park Station - 6d to get in for a good sing-song, (known today by a Japanese word that I can't remember at the moment) a main picture and a second picture, when I started to feel terrible. I sat myself down on a garden wall in Stroud Green Road at the foot of Marquis Road and wondered if I was going to die.

I carried on after a while and got home to Florence Road and told my mum that I felt so terrible. She donned her going-out clothes and walked down to the doctor's in Stroud Green Road to fetch him to see me. (Dr. Kay) He walked back with mum and pronounced that I was suffering from Scarlet Fever, he then had to walk back to his surgery to call the hospital who sent an ambulance whose driver then carried me, wrapped in a blanket, out to the ambulance and took me to the Cottage Hospital at the other side of Muswell Hill. Whilst he was carrying me out he called back over his shoulder that the fumigation team would soon be along to fumigate all the rooms and staircase and that all my toys, books, comics and clothes should be packed up to be taken away. (this hurt me very much because I had a Pinnochio book that I loved so much).

So, as there were no anti-biotics at that time I spent 6 weeks and Christmas at the Cottage Hospital mainly at the beginning in an isolation ward with a very occasional visitor - because of course no-one had a car and all contact was either by bus, letter or telephone box. (not that there was a telephone in my room!).

All I'm really saying is how easy we have it today.