Dudley's Pancake House

Comments

• edited 12:57PM
    I've been twice now as well. Once went to get something sweet - had a milkshake and a waffle with maple syrup, ice cream and walnuts - which was all really good. Went again today and had something savoury. It was fine but I'd probably agree with Four Eyes' initial speculation - i.e. I would go to the pizza places rather than have a pancake with pizza toppings. Staff were a bit ditzy today (got a coke rather than an OJ, garlic bread turned up after the pancakes) but friendly. Music was good but quite loud for a hungover sunday lunchtime. I have to admit the fact they seemed to have jagged this forum does slightly put me off.
    yes, cheekychum and princess both joined on 3 dec and have made very few visits between them, and have only commented on this thread....

I don't know what to believe any more! Is Alison13 real? Are Cheekychum and Princess secret Dudley owners or employees?

Is Vista really the developer behind the development on SGR near the tube or is he just jagging that gig too?
    Went over the weekend.

First off: They really need to sort out their front door - anyone sitting in the front half of the place gets exposed to the bitter cold every time it opens - and new customers just hang around with the door open waiting to be met. Killed the atmosphere totally - we were clad for the winter, but were physically shivering when we left.

Pancakes very nice and great selection, quality ice cream and the milk shakes were aces. Very filling despite being the thin type.

As everyone above says - who is doing the interior decor for the new restaurants in Stroud Green? Symposium was far too bright and bare and one visit was enough, that pizza place next to Petek is all 100-watt bulbs and now Dudleys is like some disco scene from Space 1999. Why don't they go in the restaurants that are popular in Stroud Green and emulate their cosiness? Petek, Pappagone etc.

Staff were friendly and service was prompt. Not sure I'd become a regular though despite liking pancakes and coffee - it is not a comfortable environment to pass the time in.

We give it 6 months.
    I love space 1999. If they got the animal woman with the eyebrows in as a waitress I'd be in there every day. They could have her and Manimal having a waiting-table/morphing-into-animals showdown.
    I still think it looks like Bladerunner in there.
  • edited January 2009
    if they had replicant-themed food i might be tempted. more pancake than pancake?
    ![dudley's pancake house](http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k124/skarblog/logans_run_03.jpg) I think it's more Logan's Run than Blade Runner. Carousel!
    i'd certainly go if they had euthanasia-themed food :D
  • edited January 2009
    See, citing Logan's Run just makes me want to eat in there even more. Although I'm a little old and they may just take me out the back with the promise of eternal pizza toppings on pancakes and then just kill me with an elaborate Banoffi Laser.
    @ unaesthetic you want a nice Swiss restaurant for that, surely :)
    or danish!

mmm, nazi gold, chocolate, clockwork, helvetica and euthanasia pancakes...
    St Moritz! Is it still open?
    What? The ski resort?!
    If you mean the weird underground bar/club in soho, it's not a ski resort but the clientele always seems to be enjoying lots of fresh powder. And last time I went, it was full of kids wearing their grandad's hats. Ridiculous.
    I think he means the fondue restaurant upstairs as opposed to the club downstairs (or the Ski resort in Switzerland). Still open last time I checked.
    @ andy - LOL touche!

I've never eaten fondue. I've melted cheese on a jacket potato though.

I'm going to have to try a Bladerunner pancake but am putting it off as long as possible.
    We went to Dudley's before Christmas, and were disappointed with the savoury pancakes. The big problem is the batter -- they need to be using a wholesome, thick brown flour mix, and less fat, because at the moment the savoury ones are cloying and odd and greasy.

Drinks and dessert were ok, as I recall, but with so many other good restaurants on Stroud Green Road, I don't see how anyone could justify going to Dudley's twice. optimo75's six-month prognosis seems optimistic.

As Dudley's people are obviously monitoring this thread, and as they used A4 signs in the window so effectively to communicate their seasonal opening hours, here's a deal: if you change the bases, and put up huge signs in the window to let us know, then we'll give it a second go.
    We went again and i love the milkshakes, very good, especially the caramel pecan one or whatever it was called. Only bad thing they took ages even though we were the only people in there and there was loud techno music blaring!

It's not a very chilled place to 'hang out', i guess just not cosy enough but is a nice addition to SGR.

If they're not busy during the summer though then I agree with the six-month prognosis!
    best milkshake ever - ed's easy diner's peanut butter. if dudley's can match that (or come reasonably close), i'll be a regular.

(plus with the dystopian sci-fi themed food/decor.)
    I like Ed's kitkat sundaes (although I'm sure they were twice the size 10 years ago...).
    I like Ed's alcoholic milkshakes. Usually some sort of rum/butterscotch sort of thing And their jukebox.
    I have just been reading Trends, the magazine that comes with The Islington Gazette and there is an article on Dudleys in there very interesting. I thought you might like to know that is:

Owned by a young black guy who is just 25 and it is named after his brother who died in a car crash.

Quite amazing really someone so young doing that, I hope he does well. I feel bad that my son was whacking the tables with his spoon!
  • edited February 2009
    What an unusual cenotaph.
    I think I've seen him in there, going over things. He changed a lightbulb too.
    I went for pancakes at Dudley's last night. It's the first time I have been in there, and the first time I've seen it packed. There was a queue forming when we left! The savoury pancakes were excellent but I wasn't too keen on the sweet - cream from a can, chocolate sauce probably from a bottle. Big portions, friendly if a bit disorganised service, and it was really nice to see it busy and buzzing. I hope it manages to stay open. I think it will make a nice alternative for breakfast/brunch and will go back. A bit on the pricey side though - for £6 or £7 I would expect real cream, at least.
    From my usual perspective (top of W3 bus), DPH looked absolutely heaving last night, whereas every other night there just seems to be the odd person ligging about. Was wondering if it was booked out for a party or something? Certainly Miso and some of the other places along SGR were looking quite sorry by comparison. Good to see the place busy, anyway.
    Could it have been anything to do with Shrove Tuesday? They will probably suffer over Lent as people stay off the pancakes.
    Aha! You're absolutely right. BTW - is Jif lemon now called Cif lemon?
    Only if you're planning on putting toilet cleaner on your pancakes