AliAli
edited April 2009 in Local discussion
To check your symptoms go to:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Pandemic-flu/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Comments

• edited 3:25PM
    we're all doomed. Doomed, I tell you!
    don't panic, don't panic! they don't like it up 'em! stupid boy!

dad's army rules.
    Apparently swine flu is mutating and combining with avian flu to create a hybrid apocalypoto-flu called....
    Apparently swine flu is mutating and combining with avian flu to create a hybrid apocalypoto-flu called....
    horse gout

hedgehog measles

lion pox

moth rabies
    Actually, the combination of swine and bird flu is pretty terrifying.

And in the grand scheme of things, I think we're due a massive 'kill hundreds of millions of people' flu epidemic like the Spanish Flu of 1918.

I think we are also overdue an ice age and the eruption of the mega-volcano under Yellowstone.
    I was actually going for "flying pig flu".

I obviously need to be less subtle with my lame attempts at humour.
    I just telephoned the swine flu helpline. All I got was crackling.
    I do like that.
    shades on shades. nothing can go wrong.
    <object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
    LOLZ. swindle flu! this video and the comments on their youtube page are terrifying. i don't understand how anyone can take this seriously. it really worries me. at least if the flu does become deadly and all these people refuse to take tamiflu because they think donald rumsfeld will make money off it, it'll be like the new natural selection.
    Yes it is terrifying.

I too wish real life was like the Waltons but with Stroud green amenities ;-)

The frightening thing is people have decided to go to War based on lies, unfortunately it looks as if people of the same ilk as those that benefited from war are potentially behind the pharma companies that created the vaccine for swin,avian and human flu... before the outbreak! The more you research the better understanding you can have. Sadly sometimes ignorance really is bliss.
    they can't have only created the vaccines... u.s. big pharma really wanted to kill about 100 mexicans, give flu to about 1000 people worldwide and worry the rest of us so they pumped billions of dollars into one of the most ineffectual biological warfare campaigns since the "white powder in an envelope must be anthrax" scare of a few years ago.
    Actually some of that white powder was anthrax and killed some unfortunate delivery people.

But, really, whoever this Finster is, please don't try to pull this site down to the level of most of the internet. It makes one sound superior to label everyone else as ignorant and encourage "research" (which, for me at least, should not be defined as trawling blogs of witless paranoiacs). But it's let down somewhat when basic facts are wrong (there actually isn't a vaccine for the swine flu, is there, so who are you accusing of developing one before the outbreak occurred?).

Good-night John-boy, good-night ma.
    House: Mmhmm. No fever, glands normal, missing her vaccination dates.

Young Mother: We're not vaccinating.

[Baby giggles and coos]

Young Mother: [Takes a toy frog and starts to make frog sounds]
    Gribbit, gribbit, gribbit. [Giggles]

[Baby smiles and giggles too]

House: Think they don't work?

Young Mother: I think some multinational pharmaceutical company wants me to think they work. Pad their bottom line.

House: Mmmm. May I? [He takes the frog and starts to do the gribbit
    noise with the baby]

Young Mother: [Whispered] Sure.

House: Gribbit, gribbit, gribbit. [The baby laughs] All natural no
    dies. That's a good business: all-natural children's toys. Those toy
    companies, they don't arbitrarily mark up their frogs. They don't lie
    about how much they spend in research and development. The worst a toy company can be accused of is making a really boring frog.

[Young Mother laughs and so does House. The baby giggles again]

House: Gribbit, gribbit, gribbit. You know another really good
    business? Teeny tiny baby coffins. You can get them in frog green or
    fire engine red. Really. The antibodies in yummy mummy only protect
    the kid for 6 months, which is why these companies think they can
    gouge you. They think that you'll spend whatever they ask to keep your kid alive. Want to change things? Prove them wrong. A few hundred parents like you decide they'd rather let their kid die then cough up 40 bucks for a vaccination, believe me, prices will drop REALLY fast.
    Gribbit, gribbit, gribbit, gribbit, gribbit.

Young Mother: Tell me what she has.

House: A cold.
    Shaun you really dont have to be aggresive.

I live in Stroud Green, am part of this community, so if I wish to discuss the pizza in Porchetta, the lack of business in Venezzia or what concerns me in the media is my business. If people do not wish to comment that is fine. I do not think telling people to research is condesending either.

How putting a relevant vid on a thread titles "SWINE FLU" is hardly bringing down this site. Finsbury Park's strength has always been its diversity. It is NOT middle England...lets keep it this way ;-)
    shaun i know, but the number of victims vs the hoopla was what i was referring to.
    @finster - OK, maybe I made an assumption that you'd come on here just to push these guys' views, which as I've conveyed above, I'm not impressed by. And some at least of the original post was promoting a particular viewpoint whilst managing to get basic facts wrong. But I'm all for tolerance and diversity, so I won't bring down the site down myself by carrying on about the matter.
  • edited May 2009
    Is it just me half expecting this presenter to suddenly pull an over-sized mobile out and shout: _"HELLO? WHAT? NAH I'M ON MY MOBILE. WHAT? I'M IN SOHO REPORTING ON SWINE FLU. WHAT? NAH IT'S RUBBISH."_ Cue Elastica guitars. Catch it, Bin it, Kill it.
    Given all the controversy, I thought I'd watch the video. If I didn't know anything about epidemiology, disease vectors, public order law, the pharmaceutical industry or financial services I might be nervous about making a video about epidemiology, disease vectors, public order law, the pharmaceutical industry and financial services. I'd also be nervous about using a cameraman who can't use a zoom. None of these fears seem to have struck this man.
  • edited May 2009
    To show how ignorant this video is, look at the 'scary pharma' business bit. Look at the share price of Novavax (cited at the beginning): <http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:NVAX>; It did triple. It's since fallen back to just above what is was. The whole company is now worth $115m. Roche, which makes Tamiflu, has a market cap of $220 BILLION. <http://www.google.com/finance?q=OTC:RHHBY>; It's moved about a bit on Swine Flu, but not hugely. Novavax's whole company is worth less than Roche's taxi bill. So why would you show that chart, unless to illustrate that you don't know what you're talking about?
    Anyone else in Stroud Green affected by swine flu?

My 14 year old son has it - or so the quacks seem to think. We'll probably never know since it is such a non-event that they are no longer routinely swabbing for the diagnosis. I have not noticed normal life grinding to a halt.

Even so, our weekly cleaner this morning took one look at the Tamiflu and my son and fled.

Should I paint a red cross on the door?
    Pah... swine flu. It's nothing. Ian and I had it a couple of weeks ago before it was all the rage in London. We probably passed it onto various people in N4 before we knew we had it, including diners at Dotori, customers of loose fruit and vegetables at Woody's, users of the 210 bus, mothers at the baby clinic at Hanley Road medical centre, the sick and vunerable at the Whittington...

Of the 20+ friends, family and work buddies we gave it to, we all agree that the initial cough and pretty sudden fever you get makes it slightly different to the symptoms of most other bugs that are currently floating around.

Even in my ill state I had the foresight to hide the tamiflu in a drawer before the cleaner came over. It is not nice having a dirty house with swine flu.
    It's definitely moved from (official terms) "containment" to "mitigation" in this area, meaning that they will no longer close schools, chase up contacts and give them all tamiflu etc. It's just a question of treating people who need treating, and accepting that the spread is happening. I think my daughter had it a week ago, but it was all very undramatic and passed within a few days. GP was a bit clueless so we didn't even get tamiflu, but then again it's only useful if given right at the beginning so I wasn't too bothered.
    Birmingham and north London are the two swine flu hotspots according to the Today programme this morning
    It's really interesting to observe the big range of attitudes to this on the street. A lot of average Joes without school-age kids or any medical friends still react like it is the Black Death. People with kids seem pretty well informed now - not fussed. Talk to a teacher and they are fed up with the whole thing.

I've been following it keenly as I have a bit of a dodgy immune system - but I can't say it's bothering me a lot.

I think the docs are probably handling it the right way, really.