Local Broadband

edited May 2009 in Local discussion
Here, as requested, is a poll about broadband. 1. Who do you use? 2. What speed do you get?

Comments

• edited 12:23PM
    Testing this damn polling thing that just won't do what its told:
    would you mind adding a sky talk option or shall i just go with "other"?
    ok, everytime I edit the poll, it adds the new entry but deletes the previous votes, without giving you the option to revote. I'm going to delete this one and start again
    OK, let's start again. We'll use this one to kick the tyres around a bit. I know it's shoddy testing stuff on a live community but I have a day job too.
    thankyou!
    <a href="http://www.bethere.co.uk/">Be There</a> have been excellent for me (ADSL not Virgin, but so-far great customer service, speed and reliability).
    Interesting that the biggest residential broadband company in the UK isn't listed, but then I do work for them. Talk Talk Group as of June =

Talk Talk
    AOL
    Tiscali
    Pipex
    Bulldog
    and Andy at Freedom2Surf

Hey. Stop throwing stuff!

BTW - General opinion is that O2 (who own Be) offer an excellent ADSL service if you don't have Cable.
    Just to clarify, I'm pretty sure I'm not freedom2surf's only customer. It's not like I asked them to set up a vanity ISP just for me.
  • edited May 2009
    This was just a quick list cobbled together based on moaning about Virgin and a few people barking what they used. I'm not even sure the poll is what we wanted a poll about. I just wanted to get it working again.

I take it that buying up Tiscali put Talk Talk top of that list.
    As much as I bitch about Virgin, they are nowhere near as bad as TalkTalk.

We were with TT for three years. For much of that time, they purposely limited our connection to 0.5Mb, yet denied it until a tech support guy finally admitted it and fixed it. Their hosting didn't work. We spent many hours on the phone with tech support trying to sort it out. Not a single one of them knew what they were talking about, or knew what a Mac was. When we finally got around to canceling the account, it took three phone calls and six weeks for them to do it. Oh, and then they charged us for an extra month of service. After hours on the phone with customer service, we still haven't got the promised refund.

I hope TalkTalk burns in hell. Or at least goes bankrupt. (No offense to Glyn. It probably wasn't your personal fault.)
    What's a Mac?
    As someone who at some point in his life had the dubious pleasure of working for a Virgin business I have very similar feelings for them as rainbow carnage has for Talk Talk. I wish you'd all leave them, but that's probably a bit much to ask. I'll just stick with my Itchy-and-Scratchy fantasies.
    Virgin’s service is not terrible for the most part, but when there’s a problem their customer service is awful. I don’t know what it is but they enrage me. I’m sure ‘SCREAMER’ flashes across the rep’s screen whenever I call. I never, ever had this experience with a company, really.

Case in point, the broadband outage this past weekend: I notice my service was out on Thursday evening. I called and the automated message said there was a problem in N4. No big deal and I figured it could take a day to sort out. When it wasn’t back by Friday evening I called again and hung on for a live person to simply ask when they expected it to be working again.

The rep wouldn’t budge from the script and after 15 minutes wasted he acknowledged the problem wasn’t my computer or modem but their servers were down. All I wanted to know was a rough estimate as to when the service would be back. I was annoyed at this point but not volcanic. But when the rep suggested that he had no idea when it would be fixed but it’s all OK and not a big deal -- I erupted.
    I've got no cause for complaint about the the service delivery side but Virgin's customer service leaves me in despair.

A couple of months ago on a Friday I got a call from Virgin telling me that my monthly DD bill - which hadn't then been presented to my bank - was approaching £200. My wife had been working from home a lot due to office relocation and had been making lots of transatlantic calls. We weren't worried about the bill as it's all expense-able to her work.

Anyway, Virgin informed me that with immediate effect they were putting a freeze on my account and that I wouldn't be able to make any more telephone calls until the 'debt' as they called it had been settled. I was furious. I have never not paid a bill and I asked them how could it be a debt when I had not yet been asked to pay. I reminded them of my payment record and queried whether I was a good customer; big bills and reliable payer! The people on the other end of the phone were obviously reading from a script.

After spending far too long on the phone I left if for the weekend. Come the following Monday I could see that £200+ had left my bank account. Could I make telephone calls? Of course not. Cue more calls to Virgin. I left messages. The promised calls were not returned. I must have spoken to a dozen people over the next two or three days by the time I asked to be put through to the disconnections team. Who were most apologetic.

In return for not leaving they offered me a 90% discount on all international calls, waived the fee for the international call package and gave me a £15 / month discount on my existing bundle.

Virgin are now about £100 worse off each month. Idiots.
  • AliAli
    edited 12:23PM
    If you want to see who has availability of BB through their own network via a BT exchange go to http://www.samknows.com/broadband/
    I think it has to be said that the whole Telecoms industry is a bit of a basket case economically (and in lots of other ways) - see me at the pub if you really want gory details.

Most companies are realising that half-decent service is the way to keep customers, but for the last few years its been such a land-grab for new members that its been forgotten about - this also leads to some companies coming up with staggering (and unprofitable) deals which will eventually come around to bite them.

Now that the industry has consolidated down to 3 big players (plus Sky) it will be interesting to see who can best hold onto their customers and frankly, who has the money to do this...
    having just discovered the (illegal) joys of p2p downloading of shows in avi and then sharing them out to my PS3 which them plays them beautifully to my big flat tv, I've almost got my own [brand]+ service going on. happily watching shows not yet been realised to DVD etc. its great.
  • AliAli
    Rainbow carnage I think that at the time you had issues with TT they had real issues with managing demand and the size of their backhaul network in the South East. That was because of the offer they were making i.e. Up to 8 Mb , free calls in the evening and at weekends and to 38 international countries ( whole of Europe, Oz, US etc).I think you can still get something similar for about £11 line rental and less than £7 a month. At least the positive about this is that an awful lot of people where able to afford getting access to the Internet because of this.
  • AliAli
    Also I don’t think TT will go bust CPW shares have nearly doubled since late last year !
    @David, It feels like the faster broadband gets, the more likely it is the BBC will start wanting folk to be licensed just for having a computer. Since I can effectively watch whatever the terrestrial channels put on their websites, it means I don't require a TV.

Yeah, the "what do you use 20MB for?" question is easily answered by "*cough*torrents*cough*"

Everyone dies at the end of 30 Rock season 3!
    when i switched ISPs one of the sales people said "what do you use your broadband for?". it completely threw me and i couldn't think of an answer that wasn't just another way of saying "stealing stuff".
    I would upgrade to 20Mb if I thought that I would get somewhere close to that speed, consistently. Thus far, our 10Mb service has been anything but consistent.

Is there any other industry that provides such consistently crap service and gets away with it? Maybe budget airlines.

I spent three months reading ISP reviews before switching to Virgin. I phoned them to double check that we could and would be getting 10Mb. Of course, the salesman assured me that it wouldn't be a problem. As soon as the cable was installed, we found out that actually, this area would be limited to 4Mb until the end of last year. We were getting around 2Mb. We called, we complained. No one took responsibility.

They act like it's a minor inconvenience to have no internet service for two days. Unaesthetic and I both work from home. No internet = no work = no pay = no supper. I have a laptop, so I can go to a cafe. Unaesthetic works on a desktop. He can hardly drag a PowerMac down to Ariana's.

I don't need a £10-credit as a goodwill gesture. That hardly makes up for a day of not being able to work.
  • AliAli
    You might be interested in what they are supposed to do
    see
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/copbb/copbb/
    This is the code of practice which was put in place to try and address the issues you have.
    If Virgin are not being consistent in providing the service promised they probably should compensate you and spin you down to a lower package cost until they provide it correctly.
    Another point is that if you running a “business” from home using BB you can get “Business “ strength products with better services levels but you have to pay more for that.
  • AliAli
    seems like the "stealing stuff" amounts to around £12billion.

see
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8073068.stm
    the vast majority of that wasn't me
  • edited May 2009
    I stole at least £6bn of that. I'm going to sell it all off, AVI files on USB sticks. I'm going to blow the Asian pirate dvd sellers out the water and take the local pubs as my own turf. I'll go around with a plastic bag & bad fake Asian accent going _"Yoo lie movees? Yoo have USB? Yoo wan AVI?"_ It'll pay my mortgage off inside weeks. It can't fail.
  • IanIan
    @optimo75 you do need a TV licence to watch stuff on your computer if you are streaming it live.
    I would downgrade to a cheaper Virgin Media package, but then we'd have to pay more for our Virgin Mobile phones. The 'cheaper' package actually works out to be more expensive.

We're not running a business. I'm registered as self-employed, but not as a company. I don't think I need a business package to check my e-mail and google things.

The whole compensation thing is a joke. It's a token gesture that's supposed to make you feel better about getting screwed over yet again. £10 is not going to make up for me missing a deadline and losing a client. Is Virgin going to pay my rent for the next three months?

This reminds me of the time I was stranded in the Pittsburgh airport with $300-worth of theatre tickets in my bag. I was supposed to meet my parents in Toronto to see some show that night. My flight was canceled. The next one was full. The airline gave me a $6 food voucher to make up for it. Not that you can buy anything for $6 in an airport.
  • AliAli
    Sorry RC I thought reading your post earlier that you are likely to starve if your BB doesn’t work.

I guess the Product Marketing people at Virgin have kind of got you “bundled”.

They seem to have succeeded in getting you to put up with poor BB as you perceive you have more to loose by leaving. Bundling is a great tool to reduce churn. I wonder what your breaking point is?
  • edited May 2009
    All 2MB should have been upgraded to 10MB free of charge by now. If you haven't visit [this page](http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/gofaster/timetable.php) I'm on 10MB and it's pretty spot on although does vary through the day. I know it's my fault if I'm abusing it by downloading a torrent, but that doesn't happen too often. ![](http://www.speedtest.net/result/485457971.png)