Chapter One

2»

Comments

• edited 11:35PM
    Keep a diary
  • edited May 2009
    Edit: I'm responding to the comments made around a year ago on this thread. I don't know about Chapter One I'm afraid. I've not been in there.

If you look at the house prices in the Tollington Park Road / SGR crossroads estate agents, it's hard to see how gentrification and creeping poshness isn't inevitable. As Crouch Hill slides down the Hill and slowly advances towards Finsbury Park tube station, I can fully recommend the move to Hornsey Road to avoid all of the obvious horrors that accompany the occupation. Hornsey Road has got some good things:

- Mr. Cee's Jerk Chicken (recently reopened after a fire)
    - The Factory gym / dance studio
    - Deti's Deli Cafe
    - About 3 million general stores
    - Thai massage
    - Not posh

and some bad:

- wide availability of gastroenteritis
    - proliferation of anxiety raising 'members only' clubs.
    - lingering threat of violence
    - nowhere to get fresh bread
    - no decent butchers
    - no wig shops
    - some boys once let off a firework at my head

One the good things is a 'joke'.
    I'm also a fan of Hornsey Road. One of the food and wine stores just south of the intersection with tollington park/way does fresh baguettes and croissants etc. - no other bread though. Where/what's Deti's Deli Cafe - I can never remember shop names. I'm probably being really naive - but what are all the 'members only' clubs? Not sure if Hornsey is safe from gentrification - that new development near seven sisters road looks quite posh doesn't it?
    Deti's is next door to Dragon vets.

The Japanese place opposite the Royal Mail depot appears to have shut for good.
  • AliAli
    edited 11:35PM
    The design of the Virgin network means that up to 36 connections can go down at one time.

Threaten to leave them, check out prices say at Sky call the Virgin call centre, threaten to leave you will get put through to a saves team and they will offer a lower monthly charge. Try it as it costs up to £100 to recruit a new customer so it is cheaper to keep you. If it doesn’t work you have nothing to loose as you just stay!
    All those Crouch End trendies shop in our Tesco's. They love the fact its not in Crouch End as it keeps up their pretence of having an independant High street.

I say, Get back up the Hill!
    this thread, even by our slapdash standards, is all over the show
    I like to think of these moments as intricate multi-threaded discussions.
    like a fine bed sheet, it has a high thread count.
    perhaps 'members only clubs' was an overly-dramatic way of describing a few run down cafes that only allow members to enter. More like social clubs. Where I live on the Hornsey Road, and there are four such places right by the building. I think that the concentration like that leads to a feeling of living on the periphery of a secret society, but in truth it's probably just old men playing cards as the see out the last of their days.
    I eventually (after a dreadful running battle with Virgin since last Friday's "outage") had an engineer come round this morning, and she was lovely. She also confirmed what I had started to suspect, which was that there was something wrong with my broadband supply that made it go wrong more often than was justified by the "problems in the area". All the experts on this forum will know this sort of thing, but my modem was getting too strong a download signal, which meant my upload speed was nearly zero, and this makes it very prone to problems. I think we've probably been suffering from this since we moved in last Summer - working fine most of the time, but just far too frequent dropping out for a day or two at a time. The signal strengths are all now balanced as they're meant to be, so here's hoping things will be better now.

Another thing I've become aware of (again, will be obvious to some readers but others may be as unaware as I was). If my laptop is plugged directly into the modem I do actually get the 10mb download speed, but when it goes through the router it drops to 6ish with ethernet cable, and 3ish with wireless. It's an old router so if I get to the point where these speeds make a lot of difference (I don't really download enough for it to be a big deal) the smartest move may be to get a new router.
    I love Stroud Green and everything, but I find it hard to believe that "Crouch End trendies" shop at Tesco's because it's more like an independent high street than they get in the Broadway. Surely Tesco is the least independent bit of SGR, and I wouldn't have said that Crouch End was one of those soulless chain store high streets (like, say, Putney).
    I don't think the point is that "Crouch End trendies" love the indepedent nature of Tesco on Stroud Green Road in contrast to the soullessness of Crouch End Broadway, rather that they can come down to have a guilt free shop there and then go back up the hill to their "independent" high road. With Tesco Express, Budgen's, KFC, Starbucks and Costa Coffee on it.
  • I'm glad we don't yet have a KFC but it is a shame that Jerry and rocky could not get the licence back for Chapter One. I went with a mate to Krappy's party when I was at vet college it worked well with live jazz too . Chang
  • This brings back s few goodmemories Chang