Bread

2»

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Absolutely sure, I spoke to the younger guy (now the owner) the first time we went to Spiazzo, we recognised each other from Hornsey Road days.

Also, the small deli on SGR (next to Christopher Charles) was an outpost of the one on Hornsey Road. It was sold off, I believe around the time Spiazzo opened.
  • edited 9:31AM
    Thanks for the clarification!
  • edited June 2009
    Bought a big round onion loaf from Bakery Outlet today - it was very nice. I'd only been moaning on Friday about the lack of decent bakery, then next morning I saw this one as I cycled past. There were some nice looking rolls with seeds on etc. The cakes don't look all that, but bread very promising.

Oh and that bakers that opened for a while on SGR was so weird, it never actually smelt at all of bread, and the bread didn't taste of anything either.
    There's some renovation going on at the former bakery beside Nando's on SGR. Too much to hope that it might be a bakery again, I suppose. Anyone know what the plans are?
    If it's a bakery again I will buy a single ginger bread man out of respect.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm cheered that Bakery Outlet is getting so much love. Perhaps as part of the new merchandising deal, some "Stroudgreen.org: Recommended Retailer" stickers should be produced for the lucky few establishments that win universal praise. Then sell them to shopkeepers for £500 each.
    bread nazis
    Went to the Bakery outlet today. Got two enormous loaves for £2.50. Had some of the rye for lunch - very nice indeed.

Also had a perfectly acceptable macchiato for 70p, which was a relief after the cup of dishwater I paid £1.95 for in the Shaftesbury yesterday. They also filled up my daughter's bottle with warm milk for free.

Probably wouldn't touch the cakes though, they looked a bit like the ones in Greggs.
    yes the cakes I had weren't good. If you're a pastry fan, Deti has a good supply of Pastéis de nata. They're pretty authentic and very tasty.
    I used to live just near Hornsey Road and used to love the Italian deli that opened there. I then moved to Golders Green for 4 years before buying nearby - the 1st weekend I was back I walked up to where it used to be only to find it all closed up and the man at the shop next door said it shut down ages ago.
    I'm chuffed to find out it's now in CE...but, I work in London Bridge and the Spiazzo here isn't very good. Is the CE version like it used to be on Hornsey Road...big communal wooden table, deli, nice coffee etc?
    Please say it is. They used to make the best tuna melts....
  • edited June 2009
    You'll certainly recognise some of the old Italian deli in Spiazzo now it's in CE; the staff, the style, the food, even some of the shop-fittings.

However, what I best loved about the old place was that it was far too good for the area, it was an oasis of cool on Hornsey Road; old Italian men playing poker, smoking and drinking espressos all day. It was like - I imagined - what a NY mafia den would be like. It was a closely guarded local secret. Friends who lived just a street or two away had never heard of it.

Now, it's in CE the cafe-side has been expanded (too much in my opinion) and it's now - especially at the weekends - overrun with with baby-buggies. (Guilty as charged, Your Honour!)

But, saying all that the food is good although a tad more expensive than it used to be (it was never cheap) and it's not Banners.
    Branch of Gail's Artisan Bakery opening in Crouch End where The Creamery was. Hope it's open in time to get mince pies. I find Dunn's pies too stodgy.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Gails Artisan Bakery - Home of the £5 loaf
  • IanIan
    edited 9:31AM
    @misscara - I asked them about Kings Bakery last night as I saw a bloke going in there. He said "nothing - it's just a shop but we are looking for someone to rent it". I told him it should be a Starbucks. He looked at me as if I was someone who knew Starbucks were looking and said "Starbucks, really?". I looked bemused and told him to ask them.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Definitely worth more pub talk.
  • IanIan
    edited 9:31AM
    @misscara - it didn't look like it had ovens in there when I looked in.