This weekend: Anything good on?

edited September 2009 in Local discussion
Any recommendations?

Comments

• edited 8:20AM
    Not quite on-topic, but prepare some good visits for a fortnight's time in [Open House](http://www.openhouse.org.uk/public/london/event.html)?
  • RegReg
    edited 8:20AM
    Come down and watch the Great River Race on the Thames. Some 400 boats racing 22 miles from Isle of Dogs to Richmond. I will be drumming for the Hulks dragon boat. I am sure you will be able to spot us. First boat leaves at about 11am. Should take 3 hrs+ per boat. Big party at the end
    Optimo at Fabric on Saturday. (Glasgow's best DJs).
  • Better than Slam?

mini-festival this afternoon over hackney marshes way.

£5 to Crisis charity
  • edited September 2009
    I somehow completely missed the Sopranos first (perhaps even 2nd?) time round. I just noticed its in HD on V+. Series 1 & 2. I won't be leaving the couch this weekend. I forgot Slam existed. They used to do an awesome monthly at that crappy club just past Heaven that I can't remember the name of. Clearly many moons ago when I had my own teeth.
    @puzzlebobble, erm maybe not then. Best 'fun sized' djs, I'd say, often get interesting punky live acts in too. Great laugh though, especially at Sub Club. How they'll translate at to a shed like Fabric I don't know.
  • AliAli
    Thames Day next weekend ! Like the idea of the feast on the bridge and the beach was good last year !
  • edited September 2009
    For the fans amongst us, Konditor & Cook are at [Feast on the Bridge](http://www.thamesfestival.org/weekend/detail/feast_on_the_bridge1/)
    Thanks for all the tips. River Race would have been great but the tip came a bit late, so the cultural highlight of our weekend was a trip over the hill to see some comedy at the Kings Head.
    I will probably go to the food festival.
    this [fire garden](http://www.thamesfestival.org/weekend/detail/fire_garden/) thing outside tate modern is supposed to be amazing, my mum still cries when she reminisces about seeing it in bournemouth. saturday and sunday 7-10pm outside tate modern.
  • We went to the fire garden thing last night. It was very cool. Thank you, Sophie, for the recommendation.
    I missed it sadly but I was drinking cider, rolling in hay and treading grapes on the bridge.
    i went on the sunday night then watched the night carnival. it was all so lovely. i can't believe i'd never been down to the thames festival before. and the foods! the foods!!! great photos rainbow_carnage. i tried to get that st paul's in the background view as well but failed miserably somehow.
    I am still planning on going to the food festival.
  • AliAli
    Food Festival was interesting in that they seemed to have imported the Hog Roast and Fish and chip vans from Essex which is a shame but I guess gets some income to finance it. ! Did eat in one the restaurants and it was excellent food and values for money. Kebabs were good an d the lamb aubergine dish I had we great. Not so sure about the drink: turnip an violet carrot juice which turned out to have chilli in it which explained the look form the waiter when I ordered it. Don’t think I will again. ! Thousands of people walking down the middle of Green Lanes was pretty impressive.
    I went to the food festival. There was a stiltwalker there. I couldn't stop thinking about what it would be like to kick the stilts out from under him. He seemed so smug, looking down on us all.

The best bit of the event was a feedback wall where locals could add post-it notes saying what they liked and didn't like about the area. Likes tended to be about safety and diversity, dislikes were almost entirely complaining about rubbish / dog shit.

The wall was being run by Haringey though, and because I am lucky enough to fall under the Islington people, I decided it would be unethical of me to comment.

Between us, my girlfriend and I bought two wraps, some juice, a bottle of water and a box of turkish delight. One of the wraps cost four pounds, which was too much.

I was expecting 50% of the crowd to be white thirtysomethings using entry level DSLR cameras to take pictures of ethnic people / food for their blogs, but actually this group only made up around 1-2%. In that sense, it felt 'authentic'.
    did the stiltwalker wear a kilt?

(just liked the rhythm of the sentence)
    I was just looking at the programme for the event and I noticed that it uses 'Harringay' rather than Haringey. Naturally worried that I'd committed a terrible spelling error, I started to edit my post above, to try and rewrite history before anybody noticed. Just before I did though, I checked the internet.. and it turns out that 'Harringay' is actually a small area of 'Haringey'! Did everybody else know this? I had no idea. I feel such a fool.
  • edited September 2009
    the stiltwalker was wearing long trousers, in a bid to make it appear as if he actually had really long legs. He was given away by the tiny shoes that he'd attached to the bottom of the stilts. There was no way a man of around fifteen feet in height would be able to balance normally with feet that small. These ridiculous shoes were only about seven inches long. I pointed the tiny shoes out it to my girlfriend, and remarked that he was probably a stiltwalker. She agreed, and I experienced a lasting and meaningful rush of pride.

I doubt that the organizers of the Harringay Food Festival would allow a stiltwalker to wear a kilt, if only to protect the local children from some terrible, unforgettable sights.
    Kilts on Stilts. Upskirt thrills for the highland ladies. A website coming to you soon, by the makers of glum & thumb councillors.
    I suspect the whole Harringay/Haringey issue of being an after-the-fact rationalisation, given what spelling was like in the old days. Note particularly the signs on the Passage, which can't decide on a spelling for two streets at a time.
    I have seen the spelling 'Hornsea' on man-hole covers. Hope that helps...
    I have a manhole cover that says Shroud Green.
    I know that's the official explanation these days, but I've yet to see any convincing historical evidence for the distinction, and I think some street names (such as the Passage) point to them once having been interchangeable.
    There seems to have been [162](http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A842942) different spellings since 1569. How hard can it be?
    thanks graeme, that does help a lot.