school closures because of snow

2»

Comments

• edited 11:49AM
    @g-unit: looks like that deck chair and popcorn moment is coming up all the same.
    Personally I usually enjoy Busby's contributions and dislike personal attacks in general.

Busby, whenever you fancy adding another fascinating 'history of Stroud Green' post I'm sure you'll find plenty of interest. Was the Old Dairy still a working dairy in the 1940s? Do you recall whether The Larrik was in use as a pub at the time, and if so what it was called?

Does anyone know when the Noble became a pub? Whereas the Larrik appears to have been custom-built as a pub, the Noble does not.

Arky
    The Larrik was custom built as the Stapleton Hall Tavern. Previously the Tavern had been housed in the Tudor Stapleton Hall (still exists - now converted into flats) but moved when that became the Conservative Club well before the start of the last century.

The Noble looks to me like it may have been the old "Station Tavern" at Crouch Hill once. When I moved here it was called The Flag. Interestingly there are a couple of engraved glass snob screens at the back - wonder how they got there.
  • AliAli
    edited 11:49AM
    The Noble became a pub around 1982/3/4 ish. Was one of the first ten pubs in the Weather spoons Chain. It was sold on when WLM opened in 1986. Since then it has been called The Flag, Racecourse, Tap and Spile and latterly Big Fat Sofa Larrick I think was the Stapleton Hall Tavern and was the Terminus for horse coaches in to London. That is why the road is nice and wide around the side of it. There is a great picture of it in the Dairy taken from outside the Doctors Surgery on the corner of Hanley Rd. It can be found in the Dairy in the small through room that has the big fireplace and leads into the front room. It is on the left wall as you look at the fireplace beside a door that goes up stairs. There is some interesting history here http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22522 A house mentioned in 1577 (fn. 80) was extended or rebuilt in 1609, (fn. 81) apparently by Sir Thomas Stapleton whose initials appear on datestones and panelling. Known as Stapleton Hall, it stands near the north-west end of Stapleton Hall Road and presumably was occupied by Stapleton as a tenant. In 1765 it was licensed as the Stapleton Hall tavern. (fn. 82) William Lucas is said to have divided the house into two (fn. 83) and in his time it was surrounded by farm-buildings. (fn. 84) Between 1856 and 1884 it was occupied by Charles Turner (d. 1892), member of a prominent farming family and later of Womersley House. (fn. 85) It was the Stroud Green Conservative club by 1888 (fn. 86) and in 1962 was bought by the club, (fn. 87) which occupied it in 1978. Some early-17thcentury panelling has been reset in a short back wing and parts of the building may be of that date. The main range is probably 18th-century but was refronted in the early or mid 19th century. More recent alterations have included the demolition of an annexe towards the street and the addition of a modern clubroom at the rear. From: 'Hornsey, including Highgate: Other estates', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 6: Friern Barnet, Finchley, Hornsey with Highgate (1980), pp. 146-149. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22522 Date accessed: 11 January 2010.
    Thanks for the info guys. I've read that quote from BHO before - I remain confused by the chronology of the following:

"It was the Stroud Green Conservative club by 1888 (fn. 86) and in 1962 was bought by the club, (fn. 87) which occupied it in 1978."

What?

I heard that Stapleton Hall was the oldest surviving building in Haringey. Although it looks pretty good I'm suprised that planning permission was acquired to add the wings. I take it that it's a private residence now - I'd love to have a snoop around.

Went into the Larrik for the first time last week. It has a lot of potential, but it's ruined by the lack of partitions. It has no feeling of intimacy, and it's REALLY BRIGHT. Good drop of ale though.

B
  • AliAli
    Best Abbot around here by far!
    I'm indifferent to Busby's Social history lessons, but dislike his ageism.
  • edited January 2010
    Me too. Generally I think your stories are quite interesting, but demonising children and young people, which you've done in a couple of posts, is out of order.

And as for the tired old notion that things were better in the old days... snore!
    @ Katiejane - Demonising children ? I think thats best left to the people who drink in the Noble isnt it - where demon children pop Helium balloons out of spite - see other thread.
    @ tosscat - instead of your incredibly witty one line and one word comments why don't you try writing something as interesting as some of Busbys post - or is it just easier to snipe all the time?
    Thanks for the compliment busman.
    My comments were meant to be accusatory. A few of Busby's posts in the past have had an air of superiority about them which have left me feeling a little uncomfortable. I have always put down to me, rather than him, and so I don't generally comment, hence the indifference. It was the following that moved me to post given its blatent prejudice. *"It's called 'meeting a challenge' , something which today's children could dearly do with."* My original comment was personal, and for that I apologise, but the prejudice still stands and I don't like it, and busman, it's very different from expecting a child free environment in a pub.
    @ g-unit - I wanted to ride this one out with popcorn :(
    Wanting a child-free pub in the evenings isn't demonising children either. But different discussion aside, Busby do you actually think children today face no challenges? Which age group has this recession hit the worst? Which generation are gonna be left with the results of climate change? Do they have to all go to war and eat powdered egg for five years to get your respect or something?
    The last thing I wanted to do with my postings would be to create friction.

I do now however have the feeling I should maybe apologise for being so old (if 72 is old).

However 'meeting the challenge' wasn't primarily aimed at our youngsters - but at the teachers not setting an example and getting on with getting to school.

I myself would never attack anyone personally - not having the faintest idea of how he or she lives. But even so, everyone has a right to lead their own lives.

And I'd just like to point out that I have never said 'the olden days were better'.
    And with that, the two idiosyncratic old flirts hugged and made up.
    Why do you feel you should apologise for your age?
    Never apologise for your age Busby, that's the point.
    Can we talk haircuts now?
  • AliAli
    Hurray for Buzby ! Please do keep posting as your stuff is usually very interesting and straight forward and is part of the rich tapestry of local opinion that make its work so well. I was wondering in your days if there were any Neds around or any kind of kids ganging up together and what they got up to etc ? The Daily Mail always tells us we shouldn’t leave our house in fear for the modern day equivalents so I was wondering if it was the same them. I can remember reading on a Biography of Bob Hoskins that ether used to be Irish gangs on either side of SGR ? Kraysesk etc
    'Neds'?
    Are you Scottish Ali?

Arky
    Tonsure Marquis? :D
  • AliAli
    Tosscat ss there a celtic connection ? Another great term is Casuals
  • AliAli