Anyone recommend a Tai Chi or yoga class in the area?

edited January 2010 in Local discussion
Hey,
Is there any good Tai Chi or yoga classes in the area?

I need a bit of downward dog........

Comments

• edited 5:44AM
    I've been to Yoga Junction on Fonthill Road (just by the tube station) a few times and always found it to be really good. Avoid the yoga classes at local branches of Fitness First - they are shocking!
    Think Yoga Junction has moved to Weston Park, not been for ages, but the same teachers have been there for years. I think they're really good, one of them, Nigel, teaches at the Lab in Muswell Hill, and his Friday class is always rammed, but I've generally found yoga classes at gyms a bit crap.
    Just checked, you're quite right Dorothy they have moved. Still Nigel and Tara teaching.
    Is it the nice, laid back, bendy and relaxed kind of yoga, or the frenetic, high-adrenalin yoga where you jump around like crazy and feel like you've just done two rounds with Mike Tyson? Can't remember the Indian terms, something like Hatha and Asanda.
    Both - they have a website with all the details of classes. Hatha is the gentler one.
    brilliant Tai chi academy in Archway, bus 210 from SG. i have been practising for 3 or so years there.
    have 6 week courses starting every so often, and then you can decide. i cant not recommend it highly enough.
    see link below, pop in to observe or take part in one class.
    http://www.tcca.org.uk/
    not a money making enterprise, enough to cover expenses.
    Barbara on Tuesday evenings at about 7-ish at Paradise Walk ladies gym behind the Old Dairy. She's really good and you don't have to be a member to go (it's about £7 non-members). Her classes are always full (10 max I think), so you really need to book in advance and turn up early.

I used to be a regular, don't know why I stopped really.

It's Hatha (traditional, relaxing, not hectic).
  • I've only been to Yoga Junction once since they've moved. It's the same people, but the place is a lot smaller. At their last location, they had a large studio downstairs and a small one upstairs. I think the new place only has a single small room. It was still warm when I went, and they had the windows open. You could hear every single person who walked by. It doesn't really bother me, but other people think that kind of thing is important. If you're not a serious yoga practitioner and don't have a day job, they offer two student-led classes per week for just £1. Bargain.
    Is it ashtanga, krs?
    There are two Tuesday night classes at St Paul's Church on Cavendish Rd (on the ladder). Anna, the teacher, is very good and you can try the first class free. www.mindbodybalance.co.uk/yoga.html The room can get a bit cold so keep a jumper by your mat.