Stroud Green Rd Xmas Lights Still Switched On Wasting Electricity

A few nights this week I noticed that in Stroud Green Rd the Xmas lights are still switched on every night on the lamposts.

Is this good for the environment to have the Xmas lights still switched on every night at the fag end of January?

Did Islington council and Harringey council have some sort of dispute because the xmas lights on the lamposts start near the FP trainstation and then stop not far from the junction of SGR and Tollington Park. Did Haringey council not want to pay the bill for xmas lights down the full length of Stroud Green Rd?

Would Haringey council have not paid for lights if it had been anything other than a christian holiday?

Both Islington and Harringey council makes a big issue of how we all should be green etc.So why are they wasting electricity then?

Comments

• edited January 2010
    They're still on at Fonthill Road and I think maybe Holloway Road as well. Personally I quite like them still being on, it's dark and miserable outside, so this adds a bit of cheer to my dull existence. We followed a car that still had tinsel on it while driving through SGR a couple of days back, and it felt a little bit like Christmas.

Although obviously this is all very bad for the environment, will someone please think of the children etc.
  • edited 2:45AM
    I like them too but the ones before the railway bridges are upside down.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    My objection is not so much to the electricity (there's already so much of that wasted by building lights at night that it seems silly to fixate on these), it's to festival creep in general, and the potential bad luck for the road caused by leaving them up past Twelfth Night.
    There's still a Christmas tree on Fonthill Rd! It's bad luck and bad for the environment!
    Misscara
    It's my birthday in June too, perhaps we should get a petition together to ask the council to leave the lights for us. Maybe they could splash out on a bit of bunting for us too!
    I keep my Laughing Santa and Singing Reindeer out all year and have never had bad luck.