Front Room Cafe

edited June 2006 in Reviews
In a rare post that in that category "Actually about Stroud Green" _[now moved to Reviews - David]_, the Front Room Cafe has just opened on tollington park. It's really nice, they're going to put wireless in, it's non-smoking and they let the dog in. The owner was a really good chap and I think it could be really successful. Makes me think we should have a directory thing as well as a message board.

Comments

• edited 9:51PM
    When I have more time, I'd like to build some sort of streetsensation thingy but not for one street, more the area in general. Maybe even hook into the fabled google maps API?
    We went there for breakfast on Saturday morning. Very nice.
    Latest news from Rob (owner of said cafe) is that he is trying to extend into the newly vacant charity shop next door. He's got big plans that boy.

The only other thing that might take it over is a shoddy internet cafe/telephone booth place. I can't think of any other options.
    Just had lunch here and they have now officially got next door! Brilliant. It's going to be a deli + more cafe. Ace.
  • LizLiz
    edited 9:51PM
    The nice lady from there also told me the other day that they are planning to open at night and have an alcohol licence. Hurrah. Ace goats cheese sarnie too.
  • edited January 2010
    Love this place,very greatful that its next door to us.
    It looks really nice and busy from the outside, but I kind of feel that i'm not 'cool' enough to go in there and have a nice relaxed breakfast on the weekend.
    I feel like that too. It looks lovely but it's always full of of 'cool' couples in fashion trainers at the weekend. Might brave it for coffee on the way home from work one day.
  • edited January 2010
    The idea that the FRC is too cool is sweet. Rob and Polly are lovely and friendly. Go in and say hello. That said, some of my trainers are really expensive.
    the reason it's crowded is because it's not a complete dive - in fact its cozy, the food is wholesome and the service is very friendly...definitely a good place to pass time with friends /family when you don't want to go to the pub (or it's just too early!)
    I must say, it has been growing on me over the winter. Better coffee, and great not-so-hot hot chocolate for children (without having to be reminded not to serve it scorching hot).

The other things I like about it are a) they played a whole Placebo album on Spotify last time I was in, b) I didn't have any money to pay, and they were totally cool about me dropping in later that day to settle my bill and c) the tables aren't as sticky as they used to be.
    They shouldn't let dogs in if they are serving food.
    I recommend the Angel Cafe opposite the World's End. The food is terrible and the staff can't really speak English but they mean well.
  • IanIan
    edited 9:51PM
    I don't know, if the dogs are going to be serving food I'd let them in - I'd want to see that.
    They eat dogs in Korea.

Is it legal to eat dog here? If so, I might start a dog restaurant, just to add to the wide variety of wonderful cuisine available on SGR.
    Had breakfast here today ... just loved it: the atmosphere, the food, the coffee ... nice looking people too!

I will definitely go again ...
    I'm sure that there was a thread a while back (or several references at least) about the coffee and food being terrible in FRC.

The only time I've 'brunched' there, I found a black hair in my scrambled eggs (unfortunately, after I'd eaten most of it) and my cappuccino was very weak and too milky.

Also, I wasn't sure if I was amused at the fella's (Rob?) efforts to find something to chat about (make things up) when he told me it was haunted by children, or if I found it a bit cheesy (assunming that story had been churned out before).
    havent been back since they served tropicana when it clearly said fresh orange juice on the menu - how very dare they! bring on some proper freshly squeezed stuff like the greasy spoon round the cnr in fonthill road opp the old tyre place - and we'll try again!
    Ahhhh the FRONT ROOM. Well, after a long absence I thought to myself oh it can't be THAT bad. Bleeeuch. What a waste of time. Rip off rubbish eggs, terrible toast...

You know what. It makes me angry really that they still get away with this shit. Where's the love?
    You lot are soooo precious. Bleeeeeuuuugh! Give Front Room a break, they are an asset to this Godforsaken area.
    Hair in my scrambled egg. Traaagic. Yuk!
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Why don't you make your own breakfast then?:-)
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Never tried Front Room and with Ariana's and Mari e Monti in the vicinity I needn't ever bother :)
    If only Ariana's did eggs florentine, my life would be complete.
    I don't know about florentine but the eggs on their fried breakfast are superb.
  • edited May 2010
    Front room always looks like it is full of trendy wankers or trustafarian wankers. Not that I am judgemental or owt.

And by the looks of it the **Eco-HYPOCRISY league from this site eat there as well.. so it's probably best I continue to avoid it..

*Please note the above statement has lost any of it's impact due to the author's inability to proof read his own work....

**This word has been edited in accordance with the teachings of the great ADGS... Damn your eagle eye... damn it to hell
    Hypocracy? As in rule by syringes?
    Loved the Front Room when I went there - delicious sardine salad.

Misscara - have you ever asked them to prepare it a certain way in advance rather than after it arrives?