Approximate age of houses on Hanley Road

Hello all,

I live on Hanley Road, I know the housing is Victorian but does anyone known the year the houses were built, the decade will do.

I tried to look around the site for this information before posting but could not find anything.

Thanks in advance,

Si

Comments

• edited 10:52AM
    According to British History online, Hanley Rd was built up between approx 1840 and 1890 (half of the houses being built in the first 10 years) if that helps..

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=1374&strquery=hanley
    Yes that helps, thanks for that.
    That's a pretty wide date margin. You are saying half of Hanley Road was built before 1850? Just looking at the architecture it looks unlikely to me, but then I am not an architectural historian. Maybe a few houses at the west end.....

There are a couple of really old houses on Hornsey Road just around the corner.
    I would have said they were 1870s or thereabouts, but I'm sure the website I mention above is well-researched and I quote

"Leases were granted in Hanley Road c. 1840, and by 1849 Hanley Road and Tollington Park were about half filled, mainly with terraces"

From: 'Islington: Growth: Holloway and Tollington', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 29-37. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=1374&strquery=hanley Date accessed: 19 March 2010.
    I looked on my old maps last night. The ones on the north side towards Hornsey Road were all there by 1870 and the rest was still fields. The others were all completed by 1894 i.e. all the fields filled in. You could see if the original lease of your house is with the land registry. It may have restrictive covenants on it like not being able to turn your house into a shop.
    I love this paragraph from your link, Marky: Although Tufnell Park and Tollington Park retained well-to-do residents, Upper Holloway in the 1890s was mainly the home of clerks and artisans, served by an army of small tradesmen and characterized in The Diary of a Nobody by Mr. Pooter, who strove to maintain a front of gentility. (fn. 72) Some streets, however, had a rougher population, including Campbell Road, known familiarly as the Bunk or Campbell Bunk, with the reputation from the 1890s to the Second World War of being the worst street in North London. Its social decline stemmed from the way in which it had been built up (fn. 73) but was hastened from the early 1880s, when a large building intended as a public house was registered as a common lodging house for 90 men. Many houses were sold because of difficulties in repaying mortgages and several also became lodging houses, which drew a rough and shifting population, whereupon most respectable residents left. Soon an address there became a bar to decent employment, however menial, and brought condemnation on anyone suspected of a crime. Residents in the 1890s did casual work or were thieves or prostitutes, and roughness was increased by London slum clearances from the 1870s, many people coming from the courts around the Angel. Although it did not look like a slum, having standard three-storeyed houses with area railings lining a wide street, 30 per cent of its households were overcrowded in the 1930s, compared with 7.5 per cent for Islington as a whole, and on average more than 11 people shared each sixroomed house. Like similar streets in the parish and elsewhere in London, Campbell Road had its own subculture with a vocabulary formed from 19th-century thieves' and costers' slang that was unknown to the neighbouring streets. The street also represented working-class independence, a freedom secretly envied by many, so that the demise of the road was later widely regretted even by some who had regarded it with horror. From: 'Islington: Growth: Holloway and Tollington', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 29-37. URL: <http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=1374&strquery=hanley>; Date accessed: 20 March 2010.