Computer virus fixing

edited April 2010 in General chat
Can anyone recommend a relaible/reasonably priced 'computer doctor' that could remove a nasty virus?

I've been hit by a spoof security service called Security Tool - it flashes up a message saying you have been hit by a virus and if foolishly (like me) you accept the offer of more info you are fairly soon expected to subscribe for who knows what. If you don't sign up you seem to then be plagued with further dire warnings every few seconds. Apparently it is very resistant to virus removal tools, and seems to have got past my security service.

Comments

• IanIan
    edited 3:29AM
    There is a great website I used when something nasty got in my computer at [http://www.techsupportforum.com](http://www.techsupportforum.com). Login and put in the details of your problem and a kind soul will talk you through getting rid of it. They were very good at explaining how to do it step by step and will come back if you have a problem. I can't get into the site at the moment, hopefully this is only a temporary server problem.
  • edited 3:29AM
    gits.

doesn't sound like something you should need to pay to get rid of. When it happens if you open 'Task Manager' does it tell you the name of the application that is causing the flashed message? can you delete it if it does?
  • edited April 2010
    It's possible to remove it yourself. If you Google 'Security Tool', you'll find plenty of instructions on how to do it - e.g.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-security-tool

I am assuming you're running a version of Windoze and use 'Internet Explorer'? Best to get a copy of Mozilla Firefox for web browsing -

http://www.firefox.com

And remember to be careful out on the internets!
    puzzlebobble, many malware programs design themselves to be resistant to that kind of cleaning attempt (and far more agressive attempts, too). what you suggest is almost never the right solution.
    Never download free solutons .. they are almost always some kind of scam to get into your PC.

I just got back my own machine today after a pesky bug, despite my uber-caution ... grrrr. I went to Computer Precision on Upper Street, a bit north of the Town Hall on the oposite side of the road.

For a complete 'clean re-install' they charged me about £80. Before I took teh machine in there I removed and stored all my documents on an external drive, so then they just wiped everything from the machine and started over with just the oeprating system; you'll need your original system disk.

I reinstalled all the various sosftware once I got the machine home.

They did the same for me about 2 years ago when a bug got into my laptop.

What else to say ... they sorted the problem.

Oh, but the only minor thing to be aware of is that they close early on Friday and do not open on Saturday, so I had to takle a couple of hours off work to take the machine in and then to collect it a day or two later.
  • AliAli
    try and download Malware Bytes from Hippo.com. This is a safe down load site as far as I know. Malware bytes will work in safe mode if necessary Hit F8 while windows is opening , most other cleaning software doesn't. Ccleaner is als on on Hippo and will clear all the rubish of your drive spead up your PC Never download free solutons .. they are almost always some kind of scam to get into your PC There is some truth in this as the next big battle for the BB and PC market will be control on the desktop. Neither of the programms I have mentoined will do this.
    I used Computer Precision on Upper Street 15 years ago - glad to hear they're still in business.
    And remember, if you owned a Mac these problems would largely go away (for now, at least, since there are so few malware and viruses designed for a Mac).

Sorry, couldn't resist. :P
  • AliAli
    That is because there are so few Macs ! less than 3% market share