Fonthill Road punks

edited April 2010 in Local discussion
Has anybody else noticed the big punk house on Fonthill Road? It's inhabited by actual punks like off of the 1970s. They have gaps and bits of wood where the glass windows are supposed to be, and there is often an Alsatian hanging out of the top window (probably trying to escape the music). I can't work out whether it's a squat or not.

Once the punks had an all night party which lasted until 12pm the next day, at which point they all started to sing loudly along with Like A Virgin, which was a surprising music choice, I thought.

Comments

• edited 2:23PM
    Gay Punks?
    i see them quite a lot, they are usually trolleyed but good natured.
    The Lords of the New Church did a version once. It wasn't good.
    I did a version at a karaoke night once, I guarantee you that was much worse!
  • edited April 2010
    Which end of Fonthill Road? This punk business seems to be passing me by...

Noticed that the tyre place has closed down and will now likely to be converted to the flats it has planning permission for.
    By the Brothers (where's their apostrophe?) Supermarket and near the slag shops. The house has a massive England flag in the bottom window. Because of the lack of windows you can sometimes get a good view inside the house when you walk past - I've seen hair dyeing and tattooing going on!
  • edited April 2010
    Ah, not on my usual route then, but will have a look tonight.

I like Brothers (I'm not sure there is an apostrophe), they do the £1.09 pizzas and one of the blokes who's on the counter is a really nice guy. We call him Mr Shaky Hands, because when he's in a good mood, he's up for a good handshake, not because he's got parkinsons...

Another query on Fonthill Road - any idea what's the deal with that house that's always full of random kids? Pretty sure the house extends sideways into two or three other buildings along that bit of terrace. As a guess I'd say it's some sort of fostering home?
    Mr Shaky Hands! Haha! The main dude? I like the way he always asks how you are but never understands your reply.

Where is the random kiddie house?
    Yes I'm Moray Road and those punks love a few cans of stella from the offy.....

Also Does anyone know why there is a section of houses with "Great Northern School Of Music" written on them?

It looks like an old fashioned brick sign but there is no sign of any music school there!!!!
    Ah. The music school. I've long been curious about it, not least because I'm an ex-music teacher. The style of the lettering, across three houses, suggests early twentieth century, perhaps as far back as the Edwardian period.

The late Peter Powell, the Islington historian told me a bit about it, but maddeningly I can't remember much. Anno domini, I'm afraid. I don't know when it closed but it was, according to PP, a big number in its day, with support from the famous conductor Sir Adrian Boult.

Would be interested to hear more.
    @ Princess - Mr Shaky Hands, I think he's the main dude, don't want to confuse him with the slightly larger, not as happy bloke who's sometimes there as well.

The house full of random kids is on the odd numbers stretch between Arianna's and Image Dry Cleaners/Alterations place. I think it may be some sort of Council run place, as they have recently had their roof done up under the 'Improving Islington's Housing Stock' banners.
    I used to live in one of the music school houses on Fonthill Rd, and there was no indication inside that it had ever been anything other than a typical Victorian terraced house. Neighbours' houses were the same. I suppose doors between the houses could have been boarded up easily enough, if the school was more than one house, but I didn't get that impression. Weird.