The Secret (Pub) Garden

So, as we brits tend to, there's a hint of Sun and we forget that we were freezing our proverbials off a few weeks ago. With that in mind - recommend pubs with outdoor areas. I only know the two - The Faltering Fullbacks fort-like structure and the Maynard in Crouch End.

Anything I'm missing?

Comments

• edited 12:27PM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Spooky, I was just looking at the reviews for the Arocaria, the Greek Cypriot place you mention. We saw it on our walk round Crouch End on Sunday and liked the look of the roofgarden area.

Decent reviews too - http://www.london-eating.co.uk/6870.htm
    Ah, you're right about the Queens Head, I always forget it as a pub. And I've also been to the Ranelagh when I lived on Green Lanes as my housemate knew the owners from Epsom.

Narrowboat sounds good. May have to check that out. Thanks!
    The Shaftesbury Tav has a little outside area and is always empty during the day. The bar staff are lovely too.
    The Noble has a picnic bench if that counts?
    There are a few in stokey, - not properly local though, but it is a nice walk on a lovely day.
    Villiers Terrace (used to be The Alex) on Park Road in Crouch End has a nice, big garden. And the garden square that you can use when drinking at the Landseer is ok too.
    Villiers Terrace in Crouch End has the biggest garden, The Haberdashery in Crouch End has just opened a garden/pebbled area, was there on Saturday for breakfast and prosecco and it was very pleasant. I think they do beers as well. Ranelagh is really chilled and spacious but don't have the barbeque, it is usually of very poor quality.
    I can second the Shaftesbury, lovely pub, lovely staff, quality food and ale. The Alwyne Castle in Highbury has a huge beer garden and do a good-value BBQ at the slightest sign of sunshine. The staff are some of the slowest around though.
    The Shaftesbury is great, wish it was my local. Wouldn't really say it has a beer garden though. Room at the back is full of old photos of the area including SGR.
    breakfast and prosecco?

Sounds great!
    the shaftesbury has just got new management. went for the quiz a couple of mondays ago and the new people had moved in that day. there were rumblings from the men at the bar that they were going to put a big telly and pool tables in that back room. it is such a lovely room and it's a shame that it's always empty but i don't know if that's the right way to fill it.
  • AliAli
    edited 12:27PM
    Bank of Friendship Blackstock Rd
    Good point, their garden is indeed ace. As is the N19's, have we mentioned that one yet?
    The Albion is really good. Used to be our local.
    The World's End has tables outside.
    I went to the Southampton Arms in Gospel Oak (ish) on Saturday night:
    http://www.fancyapint.com/pubs/pub2252.php

It was brilliant - it has a really nice outside bit, loads of really good unusual beers and even perry on draft. I was impressed. It's recently changed hands - it used to be slightly eery with non-ironic Kray pictures on the walls.

The best thing about it is it's a 5 minute stagger back to Gospel Oak station so you can jump on the train at closing time and you're back at Crouch Hill in 5mins.

I PROMISE this isn't a Medi.
    I was hearing wonderful things about the Southampton from friends who went a week or so back. 'Like the North went to Somerset on holiday' was the summary.
    The Southampton is indeed marvelous! Sister pub of The Star on Chester Road which is one of my north London favourites - they too have outside space at the back.

The mother of all beer gardens has to be The Cononbury in Islington, it is MASSIVE. I preferred the pub and the garden before the recent refurb, it's all a bit too smart now.

Another favourite is the MArquis Tavern around the corner from The Canonbury, they have some picnic benches out front by the New River. They do lovely grub and a huge selection of beers.

Mmmm, I fancy a pint.
    I used to love the Canonbury but even before they closed it all seemed to be going a bit wrong somehow.

Making my first visit to the Southampton this evening, most excited.
    The Phoenix is grim. Trekked up their the other day and there was rubbish blowing around outside in ridiculous quantities. I don't understand why it hasn't been refurbished, it looks like a Weatherspoons.
  • edited April 2010
    Will definitely check out the Marquis Tavern - sounds like my place! (Sorry, I had to post this)
  • edited May 2010
    Top tip for improving weather. Order a large lamb kebab from Vrisaki ( 0208 881 2920 ) 73 Myddleton Road N22. Best Cypriot in London. Its near Arnos Grove Tube.It takes 20 mins to get there by car and will just be ready. Meet up with friends outside the Phoenix and enjoy the sight of Mediterranean Londoners taking the evening air. These kebabs are exactly right and take me back to my childhood in Cyprus.
    The Southampton is EXCELLENT. Rum cask cider! The garden is very loud, though.
  • edited April 2011
    Maybe he had wandered out of the Sylvanian Families shop around the corner?
    The Whittington Stone, near the hospital has lovely staff and a great outdoor area