Neighbourhood Day - Saturday 24 April

edited April 2010 in Local discussion
There's a "neighbourhood day" in that bit of Stroud Green bounded by Stapleton Hall Road, Ferme Park Road and Mount View Road this Saturday. Apparently it's an excuse to get neighbours and others to hang out and talk - never a bad thing. I imagine it will also involve a lot of 2nd-hand books and a fair bit of jam. I for one will definitely be baking.

I just read last year's post-Neighbourhood-Day exchange on this site which got a bit heated. It seems most miffed-ness arose because people didn't know it was happening until it was over. This isn't much notice either but the weather forecast is good.

Comments

• edited 11:11PM
    According to my friend, 'the afternoon will also include: Residents’ stalls and games around the area offering books, plants, cakes, pottery, household items, children’s toys, bric-a-brac and lots more! Meet your local politicians (Oakfield Road), History and ecology tour of Granville Road Spinney (2.45pm) Fairtrade stall at Holy Trinity Church, Craft Fair (in the library) Talk and Q&A by local photographer (3.30pm at the library),’Map your Neighbourhood’ with the local Woodcraft Group, ’Dr Bike’ free bicycle surgery and advice.'

Neighbourhood Day takes place in the area bordered by Mountview Road, Stapleton Hall Road, Granville Road and the roads in between – Albany Road, Addington Road, Quernmore Road, Elyne Road and part of Oakfield Road.
    Curious. I'll try to attend the Granville Rd Spinney talk. Good to see the Upper East Side being mobilised. A
    Are non Upper East Siders welcome to mingle in?
    No. Please keep away.
    I'll bring cakes...
    You have to wear an identifying sign of some kind to indicate your outlander origins.
    Would a fancy titfer do? What do the locals wear?
    @ all low-siders. If you are going to come up to see how the other half live, strictly no spitting, dog shitting or littering please.
    Ooo, it's like Royston Vasey up there.
    i am now crouch end village borders. i'm not allowed at all.
    @Tallboy - there's enough of that up there as it is...
    I had no idea there was a local Woodcraft Folk group! I used to be a member as a kid in Finchley (about oh 25 years ago now) so will definitely come along. What a lovely idea!
    There are several Woodcraft groups in the area. Ish Bash Bosh!

Here's the almost final line-up for Neighbourhood Day. The reisdents' stall look set to include lots of bric-a-brac, some home baking, children's clothes and toys, games, a mini nail bar and a jam / busking session on Mountview Road and lots of plants for sale.
    All welcome.

Neighbourhood Day 2010 in Stroud Green – a chance to see friends new and old

Stalls, games, displays, an ecology tour and a chance to quiz local politicians ahead of the Election all form part of the third annual Neighbourhood Day which takes place in Stroud Green this Saturday (April 24) from 2-4.30pm.

The idea behind the day is for people to get out and about in their local streets, meet their neighbours, have some fun and find out what is happening locally.

Neighbourhood Day is organised by the Stroud Green Residents Association (SGRA) and covers Mountview Road, Stapleton Hall Road, Granville Road and all the roads inbetween (Quernmore Road, Albany Road, Elyne Road, Addington Road and part of Oakfield Road).

This year, the events and activities include:

● Residents’ stalls and games around the area offering
    secondhand and new books, plants, cakes, pottery, household items,
    children’s clothes and toys, bric-a-brac and lots more!

● Meet your local politicians (Oakfield Road) and ask their views on local and national issues

● Visit the Safer Neighbourhoods Police Team (at the library) – with activities for children

● A fascinating history and ecology tour of Granville Road Spinney (2.45pm)

● Fairtrade stall at Holy Trinity Church and ‘The Story of Fairtrade Cotton’ display at St Aidan’s School

● A chance to see inside Holy Trinity Church

● Craft Fair in the library

● Talk and Q&A by local photographer and librarian Don Holtum

● ’Map your Neighbourhood’ activity with the Greenwood Elfins – the local Woodcraft Group (near Trinity Green)

● A ‘Dr Bike’ session to help repair bikes and offer cycling advice (outside the library)

● Mini-massages from Integrated Body Dynamics (on the Spinney)
    Just a final reminder that tomorrow is Neighbourhood Day in Mountview, Stapleton Hall and Granville Roads and the roads inbetween - Quernmore, Albany, Elyne, Addington and part Oakfield. Please come along and enjoy yourselves.

Latest attractions include:

A book swap on Albany Road - children and adults
    Live music and Fairtrade coffee / tea on Mountview Road
    'The story of Fairtrade cotton' at St Aidan's plus a Fairtrade stall at the Church
    Bric-a-brac galore
    A mini nail bare on Mounview Road
    Massages and health advice on The Spinney, Granville Road,
    Games on Stapleton Hall Road
    Free bicycle repairs and advice outside the library
    Children's toys and books for sale on various roads.
    A chance to visit Holy Trinity Church
    Talk to your politicians and would-be politicians
    WOTS is Ken's coming.
    There was a small political rally on the corner of Mount View and Oakfield Rds. Lib Dems, Labour and Greens all had stalls. Red Ken was indeed there. Shook his hand. He swore more than I would have expected. I've missed him. I'm not sure I have ever eaten more banana bread and cookies, or drunk more milkshakes proffered by precocious children. My favourite part was the folk band playing on Mount View. They're still playing now - Over The Rainbow, to be precise. Pretty good, though Is This The Way to Amarillo was a bit much. A good idea, I thought. the sun helped of course. A
    Sorry to have missed this - only realised my neighbours were offering a meet and greet with their guinea pigs after the event...
    I was there during Amarillo Arky, or were you just hanging out of your window?
    I was watching them when they started, but was driven back towards the politicos by their choice of song, and got caught up with one of the new Labour candidates who tried to indoctrinate me. I ended up hiding by the Lib Dem stand and watched Councillors Richard and Ed deftly dealing with the public. The angry militant atheist was my favourite. A