live music

Comments

• edited 2:04PM
    I think it was the buzzer which prevented me ever investigating, same as I'd never go into a shop where you have to buzz. It just feels contrary to what I think of as the basic protocols of the category of establishment. Also, in the case of the Flag, the time spent waiting for a response would potentially be enough to get your face filled in by an estate hoodlum (and not in a good way, fnarr fnarr).
  • edited April 2010
    Unfortunately everytime the phrase _Silver Bullet_ appears on here I'm obliged to post a reference to [Leighton Buzzard's premiere rap act of late the 1980's](). Its just the way it is.
    LIVE MUSIC AT THE SUGAR LOUNGE ON THE 21ST APRIL;
    NOEL / ADAM LATE 70'S 80'S COVER

LIVE JAZZ ON THE 25TH APRIL STARTING FROM 7 PM
    The Park Tavern has somebody called Brigid playing Country & Western & Irish some time soon. The poster is next to the Charteris Road entrance. I don't think I'll go. By the way has anybody been to the James Kelman book launch at Beacon books? I had made a mental note to go but the poster had disappeared before I had the chance to make a proper one. Was it called off?
    The Tavern had someone on what I think were bagpipes as part of some private party a few weeks back. It was brilliant.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to sound sarcastic. I like the Park Tavern and have no doubts that Brigid is a good performer. I just don't go very often.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    the gaslight is being re-vamped and will be a venue over the summer. we are going to do a night there on friday 4th June it looks like.
    this friday they have a drink the bar dry night:

FRIDAY 30th APRIL  8pm-4am
    DRINK THE BAR DRY!
    The Gaslight, 5 Station Place, N4 2DH
    RIGHT OUTSIDE FINSBURY PARK TUBE

FREE ENTRY ALL NIGHT

PINTS -£2
    BOTTLES - £2
    SAMBUCA - £1.50
    DOUBLES - £3.50
    Glad to see the Park Tavern getting some compliments, I agree with Misscara about it being the only 'proper local' pub in SG. The music is nearly always of the Irish pub band type and the last time I was there they played the Irish national anthem at the end of the evening. Everyone stood up and sang along so it could make you feel a bit left out if you don't know the words.
    I the Nickleby not a 'proper local' pub'? I would have thought it was more so than the PT, which has somewhat of an Irish theme. A
    We've all probably seen each other in the Tavern without thinking we're all SG.orgers... It too is our favourite pub in FP. The Dairy gets a run out when in the mood for a fancy ale, and the Fullback for a bit of afternoon sunshine, but the Park Tavern is where it's at for a quiet after work beer and unwind in the back room.

I thought Chris was from Newcastle though? I always talk to her about Newcastle United (although I'm notoriously awful with accents). Quite handy really, as when we've got a game on telly, it'll usually be on in the back-room, unless there's a big Arsenal or Man Utd game on.

The Nickelby is far too high on the ladders for us, haven't ventured past the Noble for an evening beer.
  • edited April 2010
    How on earth could the Nickelby not be Stroud Green? It's in SG ward, SG conservation area, opposite the former SG station, around the corner from SG baptist church and about 60 seconds walk from Stapleton Hall, the centre of historic SG. The Park Tavern, on the other hand, is in Tollington. A
    I wondered who'd be the one to question whether it was in SG proper. I believe (and hope) that it is as I live nearby and, as discussed on a seperate thread, Stroud Green is a somewhat moveable feast surely? Although I concede that the Nickleby is very much nearer to what might be the centre.
    Ah, didn't realise that she was the landlady, thanks for that. Agree on the real ale, it would be great if they had even something like a pride or bombardier.

In my backwards mind, I consider Stroud Green to be everything north of World's End along SGR and its side-streets, up until about the Noble but it's all a bit fluid in terms of borders. Further than that it's Crouch Hill/End. I accept that my perception is probably very wrong.
  • edited April 2010
    A movable feast, yes. Doubt over the status of SGR as a boundary leaves the western border ill-defined, and there is overlap with FP on the southern border. A small part north of the Old Dairy might be considered to overlap with Crouch Hill, though I’d argue that the latter is simply a road and a hill rather than a distinct area. But whatever those boundaries are I can’t understand how the Nickelby would not be within them. If not SG, where? @ActionVerb: push your boundary up a few metres to Mount View Rd and I'm with you. After that it's Crouch End in the west and Hornsey Vale in the East.
  • edited April 2010
    I suspect that a lot of the Stroud Green old hands have already seen this, but quite a fascinating history of the area and its boundaries on wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Stroud_Green,_London
    One interesting think that can be discerned from old maps is that the area we might now call ‘Crouch Hill’ was called ‘Mount Pleasant’ in the early c19th. It is shown clustered around the junction of modern Crouch Hill (rd) and a bridle path that later became Mount View Rd. The name is now only preserved in Mount Pleasant Crescent, which is closer to historic SG than historic Mount Pleasant.
    "Interesting" is a relative term.
    Hey, I thought it was interesting. I'm shocked the Park Tavern doesn't sell real ale though. Can we start a lobbying campaign?
    Years ago, they used to sell the best draught Bass in North London. I don't know why Dennis gave it up. Perhaps someone should ask him about real ale at the Park Tavern.
    Local history is interesting to some people, but maybe not to Slabber. The name also appears in Mount Pleasant Villas as well as Mount Pleasant Crescent. "Mount Pleasant" appearing on maps was often a euphemism for the local rubbish tip/dungheap but the Stroud Green one looks like it was named for a real "pleasant" geological feature.
    The Silver Bullet (ex Gas Light) is days away from being finished and it looks heaps better than the dump that was there before. <http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/51198>;
    Ha! Does it offend you, yeah? are playing Saturday!

Odd concept - stick for 7 months then ditch. Still, might work for them...
    Rage after party on the Sunday.

Interesting...