Waterlow Park

edited April 2010 in Local discussion
I discovered this park on the way to Hamstead Heath. It is on HIghgate hill just past Archway and its the best park I have been to. It has a beautiful cafe as well as a lake and I have been there the last couple of sunny weekends. I really reccomend it!

Comments

• edited 7:37PM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I used to go to Waterlow Park a lot when I lived on Hornsey Rise, it's a lovely walk through the park, via Highgate Cemetery (now also the resting place of Malcolm McClaren) to the Heath. The house in the park was Nell Gwynn's, given to her after she had King Charles' baby. There's a legend that she dangled the child out of the window a la Michael Jackson, and threatened to drop him if the the King refused to acknowledge that it was indeed his offspring.
    I used to go a lot, when I lived round the corner in Lulot Gardens.

The Italian guy who ran the cafe constantly shouted at the staff. Made me quite uncomfortable queuing up and having to listen to a waitress being verbally abused.

The scones with cream and fresh strawberries were yummy though. Hopefully he's mellowed with age.
    One of my favourite London evenings was when London Bubble staged a promenade performance of tales from Ovid in Waterlow Park. Wonderfully witty adaptations, magical staging...just perfect. Good for picnics &c too.
    My friends got married there. It was simply lovely despite the freezing January cold.