What Has Happened To The Larrick?

edited May 2010 in Local discussion
Hi this is the first I've post on this forum, I have been living around Stroud Green for the last 8 years.
Does anyone know what has happened to The Larrick as it was shut on Sunday and hasn't been open since. Has it shut down?

Comments

• edited 9:17AM
    It is reopening today, Thursday. I think there was a problem with the owners etc. not paying bills. They had run out of lager, couldn't pay their Sky bill, so closed down last Friday evening. I noticed that there was a poster in the window to say reopening Thursday and looking for some bar staff. I hope they have got rid of the rank leather sofas!
    So what was the logic of leasing the pool tables if they can't pay the staff or the bills? Crazy.

It does seem like the ill-defined 'name' pub of the area:

Dairy - Familys (day) Eating and well-to-do (evenings)
    Noble - Food and quite drink
    Fullback - Sports
    Worlds End - Punch ups and Pikeys

The Larrick kind of falls inbetween the cracks.
    In my experience it's *the* place to go if you want an atmosphere of despair. Your other half says 'we need to talk'? The Larrick's the pub for that conversation.
    ADGS - oh I see! So other Larrick-like events:

*Birthday drinks where no-ones turned up
    *Post-sacking hang out
    *"I have an incurable disease" party

The potential is endless. Larrick owners! Paint your pub black, rename it "The Gloomy" and have a steady stream of The Cure, Leonard Cohen and Portishead on the jukebox. Hire lots of sad, darkhaired and pale staff.

It'll be popular with the post-punk crowd at least.
    So that's why the broken window on the first floor hasn't been fixed.
    There's possibilities here, as the guys who run <a href="http://www.feelinggloomy.com/">Feeling Gloomy</a> are SG locals.

Although to the best of my awareness, even they don't drink in the Larrick.
    Good that someone got my reference.

ADGS - an email shall be winging it's way too them.
  • edited May 2010
    It looks as if the new owners have other ideas: <http://www.gumtree.com/london/49/58560849.html>;
  • benben
    edited 9:17AM
    This sounds quite promising. The Dogstar in Brixton and The Bowls Club in Balham are both nice, interesting places.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    So it'll basically be exactly like the Old Dairy then?
    The Dogstar does (or at least did last time I looked) have genuinely interesting stuff happening - not necessarily all to my taste, but they were DJs people wanted to see, not just one of the barmen making a racket on his night off. If the Larrick goes that way, then good luck to them.
    Looks good to me. I approve of the (almost) restoration old name.