Rage Against The Machine - Finsbury Park

So I'm guessing no-one on here got tickets in the lottery?

Comments

• IanIan
    edited 7:02PM
    It wasn't a lottery in the end I think - just a collapsed website that I couldn't get into.
  • edited 7:02PM
    I got tix, too. No idea how the lotto worked (or was supposed to work). I just opened windows in three different browsers and let them refresh themselves. Went away to have a shower. When I got back, one of the windows was on the booking page.

Later, I heard people using VPNs got straight through, though I don't know why that would work.
    I've had a quick scout for timings to no avail.

What time is it kicking off, and what time does it finish? I haven't got tickets so want to avoid the area like the plague.
    Found it - thanks anyway.

Gates open at 2, RATM are on at 8.50. 10.30 close if you're interested.
    Yeeeh I got tickets!

They seem to have suspended parking around the SGR/clifton terrace area.
    I'm going!! :o)

DOORS OPEN 2.00

GALLOWS 5.20

ROOTS MANUVA 6.30

GOGOL BORDELLO 7.35

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE 8.50

CURFEW 10.30 :o)
    Oxford Road gates locked at 7pm
    Ok, so why could I hear all the sound checks yesterday evening as if they were happening in my back garden, but tonight I can't hear a thing?
  • IanIan
    People to cushion the sound? Also they tend to only crank the full PA up for the main act.
    Or perhaps it's drowned out by the VERY LOUD HELICOPTERS buzzing overhead...
    @ Colette

Because my son switched his music off?
    Unpleasant atmosphere down there I thought.
    Plain clothes and sniffer dogs everywhere.
    Quiescent crowd.
    Hellicopters driving me nuts, so loud and non stop!
    Police must love getting their arrest count up with easy takes from softies. Fish in a barrel, these park festivals.
    Assume it was cheaper to hire the park on a Sunday than a Saturday?
    Helicopters driving me nuts too...
    @Jeremy: I noticed the dogs too. Seemed to be the same ones all day, so I wonder precisely how effective they were. Judging from the smell of those smoking around me, the answer is not very.

The crowd seemed extremely good natured and I certainly didn't detect any bad vibes.

I really don't understand why the police felt they needed two helicopters. This is likely to piss off far more local as they can be heard for a huge area. In light of the enormous cost of keeping them up there, I really do wonder how the police can justify the money.

@andy: The oxford rd. gate was very much open when I left through it at about 10.30. Surprisingly little hassle getting out.

I suspect the crowd was way less trouble than the average Arsenal match.
  • AliAli
    The Oxford Rd gates have been vandalised with the one of them having been taken of it’s hinges so no wonder they were open. Park is also pretty messy with empty cans and blue plastic bags over the place, why don’t people take their rubbish with them ?
    I went for a wander during Gogol Bordello's set, expecting to hear them from the Parkland Walk or Ferme Park Road as I had previous park concerts, but not a whisper. The wind was blowing in the wrong direction, which I think may have been part of it - perhaps it had changed direction since the day before (when I wasn't really around to notice).
    This was one of the saddest gigs I've ever attended. Gogol Bordello were ok. I'm a fan, but the venue didn't really suit their music. They're much more fun up close.

RATM were ok, too, I guess. We left halfway through their set. It was just too depressing to watch middle-aged, middle-class men trying to relive their awkward teenage years by chanting idiotic slogans while shoving anyone within arm's reach. It's fine when you're a spotty 14-year-old, but when you're 40, it's just sad.

I like a good mosh pit as much as the next gal, but the people last night had no clue what they were doing. Running around in a circle while randomly pushing and hitting people is not moshing, you idiots.

Half of the crowd were wearing t-shirts that they bought at the gig. That pretty much says it all.

I didn't really see the police doing anything. We did get approached by a man with a dog on the way in (unaesthetic always gets approached). The guys with the dogs weren't wearing proper uniforms. Why not? Who exactly are they?

At around 9.30pm, a bunch of people broke through the fence on the Manor House side. A little later, more people broke in through the main entrance. Security weren't doing much to stop them. By that point, a lot of people were leaving, anyway.
    That sounds like pretty much what I expected - the whole campaign which got them to Number One was fairly pathetic, and this was why I didn't want to attend the celebratory event.

Friends who live over South Tottenham and Stokey way tell me that the gig was very much audible over that side.
    god what a downer. i thought it was a great gig. i'm not even particularly a fan - i haven't really listened to them since i was 16 - but i thought the atmosphere was really nice. i made lots of new friends, and everyone just seemed really chuffed that it was actually happening, and that it was free. even going by the twitter stream, the main complaint people had was that the beer was "expensive" at £3.50 a pint - cheaper than most pubs on SGR. there was a huge cheer when about 50 people came through the fence, but it was by no means overcrowded and the extras didn't seem to cause any trouble. the weather held out, the sound and screens were excellent, gogol bordello were much better than i had thought them to be (roots manuva was a bit flat though), and there was no trouble. a nice touch was them presenting the cheque to shelter on stage with the organisers of the facebook campaign. yes it is a bit sad if you think about it, thousands of slightly past-it people shouting "fuck the system" when they actually all work for banks, but the music was good and i think finsbury park excelled itself as a venue.
    I'm with Sophie on this one. Rainbow_carnage, you sir, are a killjoy.

I don't understand what you mean by :
    'Half of the crowd were wearing t-shirts that they bought at the gig. That pretty much says it all.'
    Does this say that they were fans by any chance?!

Gogol Bordello were amazing. And Rage were brilliant- if you left before their cover of White Riot then shame on you!

There was definitely enough space for those who broke through the fence so it seems a bit rich to go to a RATM gig, turn your nose up the mosh pit and then shake your finger at people "fucking the system" so to speak by breaking into a spacious, free, outdoor event.

Sounds like you had no place there and deprived someone else of a ticket they would have really wanted.

Perhaps stick to the Old Dairy next time.
    I agree with Sophie, I thought it was an excellent gig. RATM were on top form and there was a great atmos in the crowd. However, I found those gloating screen presentations slightly cringe worthy.

Getting home took a while, considering I live about 3 mins away. It was rather strange to see thousands of people shuffling down Seven Sisters and SGR
    What?! I had no problem with the people breaking into the gig. I just mentioned that it happened. As I said, by that point, a bunch of people were leaving the park, so there was plenty of space for the newcomers.

And I like mosh pits. But these people had no clue about basic moshing etiquette. My guess is that they didn't get to go to many gigs when they were younger.

Do I really need to explain the t-shirt thing? OK, here goes:

It's generally frowned upon to buy a shirt at the gig and put it on straight away. You can often judge a crowd based on the proportion wearing shirts bought at the gig.

For example, when you go to a Carter USM gig, you'll see lots of 40-something guys wearing old 30-Something shirts. They're old skool fans, and they're proud of it. They wouldn't be caught dead buying a new shirt and putting it on straight away.

The best crowds are the ones where no one is wearing a shirt with the band that's playing. They wear shirts with other bands on them, or whatever else they want. They don't feel the need to show that they're fans by dressing from the merchandise stall.

The worst crowds are the ones who buy and put on the t-shirts straight away. They're least likely to follow simple etiquette and most likely to be annoying twats.

This is pretty basic stuff. Unless, of course, you were one of the people sporting a brand new RATM shirt...
  • edited June 2010
    'The best crowds are the ones where no one is wearing a shirt with the band that's playing.'

Really? I completely disagree. Can't stand snobbish attitudes like this. Should we all just feign indifference and pretend not to be bothered?

Most the people i saw with new Rage t-shirts were pretty young, not 40 somethings. Can't really begrudge them for being toddlers when 'Killing In The Name Of' first came out. What's to say they won't be wearing the very same T-shirt in 10 years time? Also, wearing the t-shirt is one way of not losing it in the mosh pit!

The tickets were a bit of a lottery, it was a broad cross section of people which i think is good. I'm not a huge fan by any means, but i had a really good time. That's much more important than what people were wearing.

Incidentally neither me or Georgie own a brand new Rage Factor T-Shirt!
  • edited June 2010
    I think I get it: - If you're in the Hard Rock Cafe London, wearing a Hard Rock Cafe London t-shirt, that's not cool. - If you're there but wearing a Hard Rock Cafe Manila t-shirt, that's cool. - The coolest people of all will be in the Hard Rock Cafe London wearing a "Linekers Bar Marbella" t-shirt. Everyone follow that?
    If you're cool, what the f*ck are you doing anything anywhere near the Hard Rock Cafe for god's sake? Isn't that just for tourists?
    On a second read, the 'Linekers Bar Marbella' comment is making me laugh...
    The T-shirt Rule has always existed - just as r_c explained. Nobody ever tells you the rule; you just absorb it over the years.

Nice bullet points from andy though.