Events

edited May 2010 in Local discussion
I'm new to this site so had a good browse tonight. I noticed that the events page is hardly used. Why not? It would be really useful. The knitting club, glee club (let's set one up!), film club etc. could be put on there, plus councillors' surgeries etc. How can we encourage people to post events? Any ideas?

Comments

• edited 2:37PM
    This is a good idea and we have been slack at maintaining it. Send the details of events (book club, film club, fight club, choir, pub quiz) to stroudgreen@gmail.com and I'll do a regular-ish update. I'll need a time, date and venue.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I'm totally up for a glee club!
    Film Club: 3rd June @ dairy Book Club: 21st June @ dairy Knitting Club: Every thursday until the end of time @ noble All now added to the calendar. Email stroudgreen@gmail.com to add stuff.
    Actually I think Film Club is on Wednesday, 2nd June. No one mentioned it on the other thread. Not sure if 'the first rule of Film Club is you don't talk about Film Club'.
    There are a few on here which might be worth noting: <http://sustainable-haringey.wikispaces.com/>;
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    My favourite local event is poker at the World's End on Monday nights. You may have seen the posters and blackboard outside the pub. Anyway, it has been running since earlier this year and is highly recommended to anyone who has played on-line or with mates but wants to try 'real' poker but doesn't want to lose their shirt.

Its a no limit Texas Hold-em tournament. Entry fee is £8. It starts at 7.30pm sharp every Monday, though I'd recommend getting there at 7.15/7.20 as seats have sold out before 7.30 in the past. Even if you survive until the end it finishes by about 11.00-11.15 so its perfect for a Monday night.

There 's usually about 30 people playing (on three tables to start with). Its mostly men but some women play. It's pretty relaxed and people chat a little during the game, and during the hourly "fag breaks". Over the weeks I've got to know quite a few locals or people who work locally.

For your £8 you get proper poker tables and dealers on two of the three tables (the third is self dealt, but its not as stressful as it sounds). And of course the opportunity to play for a prize fund (after the organiser has taken a cut of the takings).

The standard is a bit mixed - definitely not all poker sharks ... though you'll need to know whether a full house beats a flush [it does]. But if you've only ever played on-line its a compelling experience, and if you're not rash and wait for decent hands and play them well you can make it to the final table .... and from there, who knows? Las Vegas?