Bike shops

13»

Comments

• edited 9:31AM
    Hello, I'm new here.

I went to Finsbury Cycles a couple of weeks ago to get a new back tyre for my Dahon. The man asked:

"Would you like a shit one or a good one?"

I replied: "A... good one?"

Finsbury Cycles are great.
    My next door neighbour recently gave me, completely free and for nothing, a brilliant top class featherweight drop-handlebar touring bike - painted white - not new but in tip top condition. They were throwing it out because the saddle stem was jammed in the frame and they couldn't raise it. Calls to bike shops everywhere revealed nobody who would take on the job - apparently it's hard to do without breaking it and you end up with a bike that is no use at all.

Finsbury Cycles did the job perfectly and charged just a few pounds. So hooray for Finsbury Cycles! We started kitting the bike out and I was going take it for a few rides this summer.

Postscript: in January my son borrowed the bike and left it in the yard at his friend's house in Muswell Hill. His friend's mum and dad got fed up of it lying around after a couple of weeks, didn't know whose it was, didn't bother asking and took it down the dump in Hornsey. I just hope somebody rescued it from the dump and has had some pleasure out of it. If you see a white-painted small-frame lightweight roadster with a Brooke's saddle and spindles but no proper pedals zipping around the neighbourhood, give it a wave and remember me to it.

There are two morals. 1. Some people just love bikes, and others think they're the enemy or couldn't care less. I would never ever have taken a featherweight roadster to the dump. 2. Never never never lend a bike to anyone, least of all a relative.

Now can we get back to umbrellas?
    I think the moral is more: there are some people in this world who think nothing of throwing out other people's stuff. They are scum.
    I feel your pain. Ten years ago my mum threw away all my back-issues of the NME, which would probably have been worth at least fourteen pounds in today's market.

Throwing away a bike is just bizarre, though.
    Surely leaving your shit in someone else's garden and not caring if you ever return for it gives them carte blanche to toss it?
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IanIan
    edited 9:31AM
    My guess is the sequence went like this: Week 0 Dad: can you get your mate to pick up the bike from the yard? Boy: Sure Week 1 Dad: Is he picking up the bike? Boy: He will do, I'll tell him. Week 2 Dad: I thought you had told him? Boy: I will do dad, definitely. Week 3 Dad: Look - I have had enough of this now, tell him that if he doesn't pick it up I will throw it in the Dump. Boy: Yes yes he'll definitely pick it up, I'll remember to ask him. Week 4: Bike: in bin Boy: I can't believe Dad did it, he never mentioned it, just went off and threw it away.
    Can whomever left a tub of used engine oil in my front garden come and retrieve it please. If I see you do it again, I'll make you drink it.
    @ian my guess is you are spot on