cupcakes

edited September 2010 in Local discussion
Where can I buy good cupcakes in Crouch End?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    You can't. If you can't be faffed to make your own, (it's quite straightforward) Dunn's are ok don't go near the supermarket or Greggs brightly hued abombinations.

If you want fabulous rather than ok, catch the bus from Finsbury Park to Broadway Market (20 minutes) and go and see Claire at Violet cakes stall. She makes amazing American style cupcakes - high ratio of frosting to sponge - and does unusual and seasonal specials such as quince and rhubarb. There was some talk of a large harvest of mulberries being used this week. I recommend the salted caramel flavour if you really can't choose.

Violet cakes also now have a shop at Wilton Way in Dalston but if you go to Broadway Market you can pick up lots of other delicious morsels and bits of treasure too, it's like a tiny Borough Market with additional vintage stalls. The people watching opportunities are superb too.
  • edited 11:51PM
    Tesco on SGR are stocking boxes of lovely looking "Finest Red Velvet Cupcakes"... they look good, not tried them myself.
    Thanks! I made the mistake of thinking the M&S ones would be good but they were pretty awful. I might head down to the market instead!
    Thanks! I made the mistake of thinking the M&S ones would be good but they were pretty awful. I might head down to the market instead!
    The waitrose bakery ones in crouch end are pretty good.
  • edited September 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I don't get this fad for cupcakes
    I have yet to meet a man who does.
    I'll eat one if they're offered (and I thought the M&S ones were pretty good), but I wouldn't go out of my way for them or even buy them myself. Then again, I also think Marmite is OK but nothing special.
  • LizLiz
    edited 11:51PM
    I don't get cupcakes either. And I'm not a man.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    There's a stall in Westfield which sells cup cakes to die for - did I just say that?? err, I'm a man - last time I looked.
  • IanIan
    edited 11:51PM
    They aren't sweet enough in my opinion. They always seemed more fun to make than to eat, and the mix tastes better than the finished product.
    I'm a man, I like cupcakes. Bought two quite intricate ones for me and the missus at Yaldar Haliz (sp?) on Green Lanes on Saturday. Then accidentally sat on the bag that they were in. Error.
    There were fabulous ones (grown up flavours of icing and/or cake) being sold in a stall next to the abbey in Hexham this summer. A good cupcake is better than an ordinary cake any day. The current American trend seems to have been kick-started by Primrose Bakery on Gloucester Ave in Primrose Hill - they have published a cookbook with yummy photos of cupcakes as well. Now I'm hungry....
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.