Stapleton Tavern

edited September 2010 in Local discussion
Anyone going to the Stapleton re-opening on Saturday? Invitation only, 1940s-themed.

Comments

• AliAli
    edited 4:43PM
    Will it have beer ?
  • edited 4:43PM
    I'd rather stick pins in my eyes
    Alas I have a birthday to go to, but I will be at their bloody-mary and roast-dinner thing on the Sunday. They have a vintage sale at the same time. I'm not sure it it invitation only, there's a big sign up about it.
  • Maybe you get a free bloody mary if you know the password. Something like that.
    Why didn't I know about any of these things? A 1940's themed party would be just my cup of tea.

@Arkady
    Are the vintage sale and Sunday activities invitation only?
  • edited September 2010
    From the management: "HELLO !! You are receiving this email as you have recently filled in one of our cards at the Stapleton Tavern. In return we would like to invite you to our Launch Party on the 18th of September. Our 40’s themed night, kicks off at 6pm with DJ Pink Lloyd playing a fine selection of ditties ranging from Big Band, through Jazz, via the ever present party tune. Expect a variety of entertainment throughout the evening, finishing off with a rousing chorus of ‘We’ll meet again’ at 1am. We’ll be dressing up for the evening and if you would care to join us, please do, we’d love to see your outfits. Sunday 19th - Recovery Sunday from 12pm. Sublime Bloody Marys made from oven roasted tomatoes and delicious roast dinners will be on sale throughout the day and once you’ve eaten you can peruse the racks of vintage designer clothes, bought to us by the exquisite Jumble and Pearls who will not only bring their vintage designer jumble sale but will set the soundtrack for the day with their very own DJ’s. There’s a special treat to those who filled in our cards, so make sure you say the secret words ‘[CENSORED]’ to our door staff when you come in to qualify. We are so pleased you are coming to our party and we cant wait to welcome you in to our beautiful pub. Regards Fi & Beth The Stapleton Tavern"
    That's splendid! Thank you Arkady.

Unfortunately I can't go to the party on Saturday but will definitely try to make it on Sunday. Jumble and Pearls' sales are usually full of interesting stuff and I'll walk a long way in high heels for a good Bloody Mary.
    Aye, I shall probably be there on Sunday with crew and redhead. I'm likely to have an ugly hangover.
  • I am getting my outfit ready. Then it's just a packet of Capstan Full Strength and I'm anyone's.
    They have a very nice house red on the go at the moment.
  • miss annie.......if you mean the Albinus (or some similar name) which is the cheapest, then I disagree....sadly I think it has a chemical taste.....notes of paraffin and dry cleaning fluid on my palate there. In gfact, I've taken to drinking the second one up, which is very nice and not bad value. Anyone for a wine appreciation thread?
  • edited September 2010
    Really couldn't tell you what it was called Krappy. I'm rather a cheap date as I always order house red - I'm not any kind of wine buff. It might have a sheep on the label is the best I can do.
  • You sound like my kind of gal. You sure it wasn't Young's of London ale they gave you.....that has a sheep on the bottle I think?
    Ale!
    I'm a lady I'll have you know.
  • edited September 2010
    There's nothing sexier than a woman with a pint of ale. That's just a figure of speech, but you take my point.
  • edited September 2010
    Sadly my hands are too small to hold a pint glass in a seductive manner. And the comedy names of real ale put me off.

I like to think that wine drinkers can be sexy too...
    Been in a couple of times - same discussion re. beer and hasty excuses - seems they've furnished it via a deal with Riley's Emporium but a shame they couldn't change the panelling that's on the bar, it's still that tan colour when it needs to be darker. Acoustics seem better somehow despite keeping all those speakers the Larrik had just about glued to the ceiling. So long as they keep the doors shut during bar hours and don't sprout tables along the pavement all should go well.
    I really want to go to this tonight - would anyone mind whispering me the secret code to get cheaper drinks? I'd really appreciate it as I haven't received the email.
  • You say it to the doorman. It's "Your mother smells like a goat." Try it and see.
  • So who was there?
    This is a bar that has changed name and character so many times. I think when I first started to visit friends here it was called The Stapleton Tavern. It was fairly rough and bawdy. Then it changed its name a few times over the following ten years. First to 'Bla Blas' , I think! A very cheesy bar in the Chapter One vein! Then to the Larrik? It was more of a Chelsea tractor/Crouch End borders 30 something bar that never seemed that busy.

While I was away from SGR for a year or so it changed into The Stapleton Arms. Seems OK from the outside, looking in! Must venture in sometime!
    Had a splendid afternoon in there yesterday with some comrades. I can recommend the roast - not at all bad for less than a tenner. The barstaff seem still to be finding their feet, but it was very busy. The vintage sale was rather nice too.
  • AliAli
    edited 4:43PM
    Krappy Young’s use a boy sheep as it’s logo. Shame that Young’s’ is not really a London Beer anymore since they sold the Wansworth Brewery. Seems the beer making is sub contracted out to http://www.wellsandyoungs.co.uk/home/our-beers I didn’t know this crowd also make Courage beers now From the above chat sounds like they still have a pub with out any proper beer. I have worked out that has cost them at least £150 revenue from me and my mates so far that has either gone to the Nobel or the Dairy. I am not sure the Stapleton will generate new business so they will have to fight for the current available £s that all really floating around, If they ever get it I will be interesting to see their price position between the Diary (expensive) and the Noble.
  • Yes they do have beer again and this week it is suddenly hugely improved, a proper choice of continental lagers and they still do Greene King IPA. They don't actually do Youngs. Hopefully they will bring in a few more real beers and guest ales soon. They've uprated their draught cider from ghastly Strongbow to semething less ghastly. I am a Stapleton partisan as I have long been a regular and I have watched its decline in the last 2-3 years with dismay. Hopefully they are turning it round now. I quite like their redesign which is eccentric and bonkers and it is lovely to see the place filling with people again. The landladyette Beth is lovely and seems to be driving it. Onward and upward! More choice! Say No to rubbish bars!
    They are now part of this chain, most of the others are in the bandit country of South London.
    http://www.antic-ltd.com/ (sorry, I'm a Luddite about the link thing)
    I like Strongbow! Aspall is nice but wipes me out too quickly, Addlestone's...well, I just don't trust booze I can't see through. If it's Stowford Press, though, I salute them.

Antic have also taken over somewhere in Stokey recently, I believe. Edinburgh Cellars,maybe? I spotted the same Lord Kitchener poster the Stapleton was rocking as I went past on the bus.
    I'm not sure about the make-up mirror lighing around the sign. It's so bight you can't read it and you can see the lights glaring from right down the other end of SGR. They look a bit silly.
  • Real Ale update - As well as the Greene King IPA they had Tribute and Bath Spa on. Also now doing food which was a pleasent surprise.
    Much much much improved
    Tribute! Allow me a small whoop.