Double Glazing

edited November 2010 in Local discussion
Hello, being new to this site I was wondering if you could help?

I live in Stroud Green and am looking into getting double glazing. As my flat is in a conservation area I need to get permission and the front sash windows need to be replaced with wood rather than pvc.

Have any of you replaced your windows with double glazing and if so do you have any advice or the name of the company you used?

Any advice gratefully received!

Wgray

Comments

• edited 7:48PM
    according to the BBC this morning, shutters and full length curtains are as effective as double-glazing (and a lot less hassle to fit too). So unless you're also looking to cut down on noise, it might be a better route.
    Have you thought of secondary glazing,backed up with double lined curtains, a much cheaper option.
    Stroud Green Windows next to Jacks
    I had my single glazed windows replaced with wooden double glazed, sashes. SG windows quoted a fortune, so I got my builder (Polish chaps) to have them fabricated for me. They've cut out the noise and improved the insulation massively - as well as looking MUCH better. Nearly a year on, though I would have made sure they were properly ventilated (get close-able slats built into the frame or make sure you can have them open regularly). The room isn't used to being that well insulated, so I have had a couple of mould spot problems, which have subsequently ruined my floor-to-ceiling curtains! Insurers and damp-proof companies are likely to consider it a structural change, so if you've had expensive damp-proofing - like I did - and then you get mould spots, you'll have invalidated the warranty by getting this kind of work done. I had pvc put in the back and they're very good. If you whisper me, I'll dig his number out when I get home if you like.
    The problem with shutter and curtains is they only help insulate when fully closed. And I'm not sure they could ever be quite as good as double glazing which has a vacuum separating the two panes.

I'd second the suggestion for additional ventilation. The better the double glazing the lesser the condensation but some ventilation is always required. Opening the windows, even just a little can make rooms draughty. Sincer's suggestion of vents in the window frame is a good option (known as trickle vents) or you could add some kind through-wall ventilator, eg: http://www.timloc.co.uk/Products/Underfloor_&_through_wall_ventilation/Core_drill_vent_anti-draught_ventilators/product.aspx?id=715

Bear in mind that window replacement is subject to Building Regulations. Window suppliers/fitters who have jumped through the necessary hoops can self-certify and register the work themselves. Otherwise, you'd need an Islington (or Harringey depending where you live) Building Control officer involved add added cost.