Haringey Parking Scam

edited March 2011 in Local discussion
Last Saturday, I parked in Crouch End and bought a parking ticket till 4pm. Apparently, they've changed the rules over there, so now bus lanes come into force 4-7pm on Saturday. Haringey Council then mop up all the cars still parked there by CCTV. There were four in shot of the pic of my car. So I have a £60 fine for "parking in a bus lane" at 5 past 4. It feels like such a scam and so entirely disproportionate. Be careful.

Comments

• edited 3:53PM
    Are you sure they've not done you for overstaying but just put the wrong reason on the ticket? I can't see why you'd want a bus lane in operation at that particular time (and presumably not earlier).
    Nope. It's parking in a bus lane.
    Grasping fucks.
    i've enjoyed receiving parking tickets for exactly this reason on a few occasions.

places to watch out include downj the bottom of the hill, outside the fishmongers and waitrose, and outside the virgin active.

total thievery

gits
    You're the git for paying it if it isn't reasonable, in this so called democratic society, appeal it . Appeal.now.com . If everyone appealed they wouldn't do it but the stress has caused cardiac arrest with me ??!!This is what happens when accountants are left in charge of call centres & Councillors too busy working elsewhere to monitorwhat PAs others are doing . In my opinion there should always 2 there on shift to sort out issues of discretion otherwise not democratic ... are paying for this ??!! Islington is worse.
    er... yeah. thanks for your kind words.

I don't like the rules, but the signs by the side of the road do state (relatively) clearly the periods in which we should expect to receive a ticket, so I'm not really sure how you think I could appeal against that.

If you're planning to mount an appeal on the basis that the restrictions are generally unreasonable, then good luck to you!

Speaking personally, I would rather pay my fine than invest considerably more time/effort/cash in becoming a test case.
    I wouldn't call that a scam. How have you been cheated/scammed/conned, other than by falling foul of annoying but reasonably well-posted parking restrictions? (I got a ticket a while ago for driving in that bus lane on a Saturday at around 5pm: pissed me off no end, but when I next went I checked, and it was properly marked, so my fault).
  • RoyRoy
    edited 3:53PM
    I think it would definitely be reasonable to operate a grace period in case someone is only very slightly late back to their car, but the question then becomes - how long should the grace period be?

Five minutes' grace might be a little on the short side, but it doesn't seem wholy unreasonable, either, and is consistent with andy's experience. (i.e. there's no parking permitted after 4pm, so they give tickets to anyone who hasn't moved their car by 4:05pm.)

-roy