who was I talking to about ants?

edited May 2007 in Local discussion
I can't remember. But I made the assertion that the weight of all the ants in the world was more than the combined weight of all the humans in the world. This is true. <http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/view.php3?article_id=218392765&cat=2_3>; <http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5579510>; **"In reality, ants may very well rival humans for control of the worlds they inhabit. The total weight of all the ants on the globe is about equal to the weight of all the humans. And ants inhabit all but a few environments "conquered" by mankind. Humans faced with a wave of army ants swarming through a rainforest would be wise to get out of the way."** There are 11 trillion ants in the world.

Comments

• natnat
    edited 5:35PM
    This is Dan.

It was me.

I'd like to see an ant beat me at chess.
  • natnat
    edited 5:35PM
    That is, in response to the assertion that "ants may very well rival humans for control of the worlds they inhabit" - I don't dispute that they may very well weigh more than the human population.
  • edited 5:35PM
    Ants probably have a far more highly evolved notion of organisation than can be quantified by an 8x8 matrix. They'd probably whip you at ant-chess.
    Somewhere in the amazon, a tribe of super ants has got a massive kettle of boiling water to pour on you if you ever turn up there.
    "Humans faced with a wave of army ants swarming through a rainforest would be wise to get out of the way".
    I was camping one time in the jungle. We were woken up in the middle of the night and told to move our tents, in the pitch black, because army ants were marching towards the camp. They told us that if we didn't move our tents, the ants would march right through them, and us. We moved the tents. Quickly.
    the old ant discussion, i actually read about this in the lite last week, wasnt sure that i believed it then but it seems that it is actully true, lets hope they dont all group together and form an army against us humans.....
  • edited May 2007
    Ants in your pants make your belly button dance. (You need flat vowels for this to work properly (not to make your belly button dance, but to make it rhyme))